Collapse

Counting putts

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fore Warned View Post

The problem with counting strokes off the green is that it introduces subjectivity as to what constitutes a putt. The PGA is clear about their convention of counting putts as any stroke that is taken once the ball reaches the green. Rightly or wrongly it puts everyone on the same page with its consistency and objectivity.

If one wants to count putts using some off green strokes, that's fine, as long as they do it consistently. But it's a personal measure, as comparing oneself to others with that system would not be reliable.

Subtracting the number of GIR's from the total putt count has it's problems, but it tries to standardise the issues of the proximity of approach shots and does allow for comparisons to others results.

The Stroked Gained putting metric is a really good tool for measuring one's performance against others, or against standard putting success averages based on putt length. To my understanding that system counts putts only as strokes taken once the ball is on the green. The issue of taking short chips from the fringe, or using a putter when off the green when not reaching a GIR remains.

No system of counting putts is perfect, and the answer as to which might be better is arguable. Whichever system one uses, it is important to be consistent about that and appreciate it's limitations.

All good points. However, I don't know anyone who uses this type of statistic for anything other than measuring personal progress.

Comment

I strongly suggest some of you serious about stats look at shotbyshot or golfmetrics

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
      X