/*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked BEGIN*/ /*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked END*/
Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Best Handicapping System for Tourney

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Handicapping System for Tourney

Hi Guys,

I was wondering what you guys think is the fairest handicapping system for a one-time tourney i have to throw together for work. They want to do a stroke-play so best-ball and scramble are out. I'd say more than half the guys don't have an established hcp and the group size is approx. 20.

Re: Best Handicapping System for Tourney

If you don't know what the handicaps are, and it must be stroke play, the only equally fair thing I can think of would be a random sampling of 6 secret holes and multiply that by 3 for a handicap.
    This would be totally lucky though and I don't really see the point.

I would try to get a rough idea of each handicap and try to make some reasonably fair teams.
    Then instead of a full scramble, just have a tee shot scramble.
    Everybody tees off, pick the best shot, and then everybody plays their own ball from that point.
    I would also count the best 2 scores per hole and require a minimum or 3 tee shots per player with no maximum.

Comment

Originally posted by snb9 View Post
      Hi Guys,

I was wondering what you guys think is the fairest handicapping system for a one-time tourney i have to throw together for work. They want to do a stroke-play so best-ball and scramble are out. I'd say more than half the guys don't have an established hcp and the group size is approx. 20.
      i use the callaway system.it works quite well. are any of the players low cappers?

Comment

Not really, i'm probably the best out of them all and i shoot mid to low 80's. I looked at the callaway system, it seems kind of flawed, blowup holes should hurt you not benefit you

Comment

Originally posted by snb9 View Post
          Not really, i'm probably the best out of them all and i shoot mid to low 80's. I looked at the callaway system, it seems kind of flawed, blowup holes should hurt you not benefit you

in practice it actually works quite well. i have been using it for some tournaments we run (3 a year for the past 3 years) and its is surprising how close it comes to a players handicap(the ones who do have handicaps) more often than not.

Comment

I agree with the Callaway Handicap format. I run a pro-shop and several tournaments use it to "fairly" handicap players who don't actually have an official handicap. It's designed to keep all scores between even par and +10 over. The pro shop at the course you have the event at should be able to do the scoring.

have fun!
            What's in my bag?

Driver: Titleist 910- ProforceV2
            Irons: Titleist CB
            Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled - 50, 54, 58
            Putter: Scotty

~ 90% of putts left short of the hole won't go in ~

Comment

I have used Callaway before and it worked fairly well. I searched for alternatives and could not find a better one.

I run a small annual tourney similiar to yours no in its 7th year or so. I started out with Callaway but after the first year switched to Scramble. The reason I did not do scramble initially was complaints from people who wanted to play their own ball, felt like they did not get their money's worth out of a scramble. After the fist year I told them to stuff their complaints and we are doing a scramble. Now everyone has had fun (golfers and non golfers alike) and there is no looking back.

Not saying this is your problem but you, as the organiser, should run it the way you think is best for the whole group and not just a few who complain. After the first year I just told the "I want to play my own ball" group that I was not stopping them from booking a tee time somewhere else that day and enjoying their own round but if they want to play in the tourney then a scramble is what we are doing.

Comment

There are several good One Day Handicap systems around.
                Namely Callaway, Peoria, & Scheid
                They all have the usual variations, as a quick Internet search will show.
                The Callaway and Scheid are similar, and the Peoria seems most common.
                We use the Peoria in our Annual S.C. trip.
                The 'Callaway' system has nothing to do with Callaway Golf
                It was devised by Lionel F Callaway.
                Whereas the Scheid system was devised by Dr Fran Scheid.
                A founding member of the USGA handicap research team.
                Never take life seriously - No one gets out alive

Comment

Best Handicapping System for Tourney

It was the late 1980's or early 90's that an exhaustive study of the Callaway system was conducted by the U.S.G.A.

Their results determined that the Callaway system favoured the lower handicap players.
                  Swing slow, walk fast

Comment

Collapse

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Topics: 179,893   Posts: 1,885,422   Members: 48,469   Active Members: 481
                  Welcome to our newest member, Tomfooler.
                  Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Working...
                  X