Collapse

What is handicap and what is factor?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is handicap and what is factor?

I've been looking at those two numbers for years but I still don't understand.

For example I have a handicap of 8 but my factor is 6.8. What does that mean?

Re: What is handicap and what is factor?

8 is your course handicap.

6.8 is your index, so that you are able to figure out your course handicap at any course with a slope rating

http://www.rcga.org/innerpage.aspx?x...1M5EEvHdoxA2De
    WITB

SM 2-5

Ping Anser 8.5* Matrix 6M3 Black Tie X
    Ping Anser 16.5* Matrix 7M3 Black Tie X
    Ping i25 19* Matrix HM3-95 Black Tie X
    Ping 4-W S55 KBS C-Taper X
    Ping Glide 52*SS 58*ES KBS Wedge X
    Kari Lajosi DD201 Mini Custom
    Callaway Chrome Soft Yellow

Comment

Originally posted by aznives3 View Post
      8 is your course handicap.

6.8 is your index, so that you are able to figure out your course handicap at any course with a slope rating

http://www.rcga.org/innerpage.aspx?x...1M5EEvHdoxA2De
      You will note from the appropriate link provided that there is no mention of an "index". This is not the term to be used in Canada. We have "factors". However, the use of "index" seems almost imposible to change in the minds of many. You will notice on this site when a profile is displayed, the term "index" is incorrectly used despite the fact that I have pointed it out to the moderators in the past.
      People who lose faith in golf commonly convert to Catholicism, because the rules are easier to live with.

Golf: - The Agony and the Ecstasy

Comment

It's sort of like the degree of difficulty in other sports, diving,ice skating etc, your index or factor is multiplied by the degree of difficulty of the course (slope) in your case the handicap you get is a result of multiplying your 6.8 to the slope of the course that youp lay evidently around 1.20, if you (god forbid)go to the National your handicap would be 6.8 multiplied by about 1.45 to give you a cap there of around 10 at the National.

Basically the degree of difficulty at the National is 1.45 where your course is around 1.20.

Originally posted by ontario View Post
        I've been looking at those two numbers for years but I still don't understand.

For example I have a handicap of 8 but my factor is 6.8. What does that mean?
        My game is rubbish with shades of brilliance.

Comment

Originally posted by A Man Called Papa View Post
          You will note from the appropriate link provided that there is no mention of an "index". This is not the term to be used in Canada. We have "factors". However, the use of "index" seems almost imposible to change in the minds of many. You will notice on this site when a profile is displayed, the term "index" is incorrectly used despite the fact that I have pointed it out to the moderators in the past.
          I've known about the different terms for some years, but I'm not sure of the significance of them being different.

AFAIK, they are the same in terms of how they are used to determine your course/tees handicap. In what ways are they different - and why?
          "Confusion" will be my epitaph
          ...Iggy

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post
            I've known about the different terms for some years, but I'm not sure of the significance of them being different.

AFAIK, they are the same in terms of how they are used to determine your course/tees handicap. In what ways are they different - and why?
            At some point, when the USGA and RCGA agree on a standardized measure, they will be called the same. Until then, for subtleties of measurement (USGA ESC vs RCGA ESC for example) and for resistance to change, USGA will refer to Index and RCGA to Factor.

They are taken as equivalents.

Comment

Originally posted by AlfaGolfer View Post

They are taken as equivalents.

Well thats good cause I've always used Index. Even though slope means nothing to me. I'm so old school I only pay attention to the course rating.
              Canada's best golf instructor is Nick Starchuk.

Comment

Originally posted by WILL View Post
                Well thats good cause I've always used Index. Even though slope means nothing to me. I'm so old school I only pay attention to the course rating.
                For you, course rating is the most relevant as it is the score that a scratch golfer would make on a given course.

Slope is the metric that provides equity between a "bogey golfer" and a scratch golfer.

Nonetheless, your (and everyone's course handicap) is Factor x slope / 113.

Comment

My golf game is MY handicap no matter how you factor it

WIT SM C130 Cart Bag:
                  TM SLDR 10.5*
                  TM SLDR 3W & TM V-Steel 5W
                  TM Rescue 22*
                  4-PW Mix of Mizuno MX-25's and TM RBZ's
                  Wedges: Titleist SM 53* & 56*
                  Ping Ketch
                  Ball: What's on sale?

Comment

Originally posted by Leftygolfer30 View Post
                    My golf game is MY handicap no matter how you factor it
                    Lefty's golf game:

Last edited by AlfaGolfer; Aug 5, 2010, 06:38 AM.

Comment

^

not that hard. most if not all are covered in first semester of first year physics and calculus

Comment

The handicap deal has been great topic for a long time because, IMO, it's measured so vaguely. A golfer takes the best 10 of the last 20 games and comes up with a number. There seems to be something missing!

Have you played with anyone who is a 15 handicap only because he takes 4 penalty strokes off the tee? Then you play a course with adjacent fairways and all of a sudden he shoots 75 ! Something doesn't seem right.

Wouldn't we be more accurate adopting the "stroke average" system so that every shot counts?

I have played with club members who blast one into oblivion, tee it up again, hit it toward the green and say "just give me a double because of my equitable stroke control". Or you can finish the hole, make a score, and deal with your handicapping bonuses later. When you just pick up, you take out the mental aspect if bouncing back from an 8 or a 9! Any of you see "7 handicaps" fire triple digits in club championship? It's a different game when every shot counts. I'm not sure where this was ever acceptable.

Another point, which will affect most of you, is when you play a match that includes handicap. If player A is a 15 and player B is 17, you can't just give B 2 strokes. Those 2 strokes have to fall on the 16th and 17th hardest holes. Not the 1st and 2nd holes. This takes player A's legitimate handicap and tosses it aside.

I'm looking forward to a new system that takes into account the score hole by hole, with no ESC, and we can measure golfers more accurately.

Comment

Originally posted by NickStarchuk View Post
                          The handicap deal has been great topic for a long time because, IMO, it's measured so vaguely. A golfer takes the best 10 of the last 20 games and comes up with a number. There seems to be something missing!

Have you played with anyone who is a 15 handicap only because he takes 4 penalty strokes off the tee? Then you play a course with adjacent fairways and all of a sudden he shoots 75 ! Something doesn't seem right.

Wouldn't we be more accurate adopting the "stroke average" system so that every shot counts?

I have played with club members who blast one into oblivion, tee it up again, hit it toward the green and say "just give me a double because of my equitable stroke control". Or you can finish the hole, make a score, and deal with your handicapping bonuses later. When you just pick up, you take out the mental aspect if bouncing back from an 8 or a 9! Any of you see "7 handicaps" fire triple digits in club championship? It's a different game when every shot counts. I'm not sure where this was ever acceptable.

Another point, which will affect most of you, is when you play a match that includes handicap. If player A is a 15 and player B is 17, you can't just give B 2 strokes. Those 2 strokes have to fall on the 16th and 17th hardest holes. Not the 1st and 2nd holes. This takes player A's legitimate handicap and tosses it aside.

I'm looking forward to a new system that takes into account the score hole by hole, with no ESC, and we can measure golfers more accurately.
                          I think it's pretty common to play off the lower handicap. In your example, the 15 h'cap plays off 0, and the 17 h'cap plays off 2, with strokes allocated on the # 1 and 2 stroke holes (not 17 and 18).
                          ----
                          Long Live the Patriarchy

Comment

Greetings Nick, I offer the following comments, in blue, to add to this conversation:

Originally posted by NickStarchuk View Post

Actually, 10 of your last 20 differentials are used to achieve a person's Factor, multiplied by 0.96. Differentials utilize a course rating and slope so that a "degree of difficulty" is considered. Handicap Factors are an indication of a player's potential, not likely score.

Have you played with anyone who is a 15 handicap only because he takes 4 penalty strokes off the tee? If he takes 4 penalty strokes, the most that person will score on the hole is a double bogey. Then you play a course with adjacent fairways and all of a sudden he shoots 75! This is statistically extremely rare. I would say that a 15 handicap is not going to shoot 75 if they have been keeping a current and accurate Factor to that point. Something doesn't seem right. You're correct, what isn't right is that they haven't been keeping a current and accurate Factor.

Wouldn't we be more accurate adopting the "stroke average" system so that every shot counts? Can you please explain the stroke average system?

I have played with club members who blast one into oblivion, tee it up again, hit it toward the green and say "just give me a double because of my equitable stroke control". Not in a tournament they wouldn't or for their score that day they shouldn't. For the keeping of their Factor, yes. Or you can finish the hole, make a score, and deal with your handicapping bonuses later. When you just pick up, you take out the mental aspect if bouncing back from an 8 or a 9! Any of you see "7 handicaps" fire triple digits in club championship? It's a different game when every shot counts. I'm not sure where this was ever acceptable. Again, one's Factor is a measure of their potential. I would also say that it is quite rare for a 7 to shoot triple digits.

Another point, which will affect most of you, is when you play a match that includes handicap. If player A is a 15 and player B is 17, you can't just give B 2 strokes. Those 2 strokes have to fall on the 16th and 17th hardest holes. Not the 1st and 2nd holes. This takes player A's legitimate handicap and tosses it aside. This is not correct Nick. Firstly, it would be course handicap that would be used in a match (taking into consideration course rating and slope) and the #1 and #2 rated holes on the scorecard would be the holes where the higher handicap player would be awarded strokes (provided that the course handicaps are two strokes apart, not their Factors). As well, the numbering of holes on a scorecard do not refer to difficulty of holes but rather the holes where a bogey golfer requires strokes to play equitably to a scratch golfer.

I respectfully disagree and invite you to look further, and more accurately, into the existing handicapping system so that you can better determine its efficacy. From my perspective, if a person keeps a current and accurate Factor, the existing system works very well and has checks and measures that haven't even been discussed.

Comment

Originally posted by AlfaGolfer View Post
                              Another point, which will affect most of you, is when you play a match that includes handicap. If player A is a 15 and player B is 17, you can't just give B 2 strokes. Those 2 strokes have to fall on the 16th and 17th hardest holes. Not the 1st and 2nd holes. This takes player A's legitimate handicap and tosses it aside. This is not correct Nick. Firstly, it would be course handicap that would be used in a match (taking into consideration course rating and slope) and the #1 and #2 rated holes on the scorecard would be the holes where the higher handicap player would be awarded strokes (provided that the course handicaps are two strokes apart, not their Factors). As well, the numbering of holes on a scorecard do not refer to difficulty of holes but rather the holes where a bogey golfer requires strokes to play equitably to a scratch golfer.

I agree with nick on this one, if you are 15, you are supposed to get one stroke on the hardest 15 holes, the 17 is supposed to have a stroke on the hardest 17 meaning that one only two that you should be giving him an advantage on are 16 and 17.... that's how the GAO (RCGA) would calculate each score... however common practice between golfers (non tournament) is to give just two strokes (and usually the that would be the two hardest ones) ... wrong
                              !
                              To golf, or not to golf? What a stupid question!

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X