/*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked BEGIN*/ /*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked END*/
Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

rule or tournament format

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rule or tournament format

Okay you play a tournament lets say for some good cash, your tied at the end. Would you rather go to a play off or have retro?
    This is also the case for 2nd and third as there was a $1000.00 between the pay outs.
    Half the guys said " well its retro" because that the way its done. The rest say " the fair true way of getting the pay out right is to play off for the first 3 places"
    Whats your Call??

Re: rule or tournament format

Originally posted by mrf911 View Post
    Okay you play a tournament lets say for some good cash, your tied at the end. Would you rather go to a play off or have retro?
    This is also the case for 2nd and third as there was a $1000.00 between the pay outs.
    Half the guys said " well its retro" because that the way its done. The rest say " the fair true way of getting the pay out right is to play off for the first 3 places"
    Whats your Call??
    there should be rules in place prior to the event. If it were me, I would rather play it out
    MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Playoff for 1st. If there's a tie for 2nd, they should split 2nd and 3rd place money. Tie for 3rd should be a split of 3rd place money. I don't think retro is fair in any case.

Comment

Retro is not a fair way to decide, playoffs are for first place only IMO and are the way to go.

Comment

How does this money stand against amateur status rules ?
          Putting isn't golf, greens should be treated almost the same as water hazards: you land on them, then add two strokes to your score.
          - Chi Chi Rodriguez

Comment

Originally posted by aaagc View Post
            Nothing to do with it.. gift cert. were given to those that needed it as per the rules.

Comment

Originally posted by P25 View Post
              Playoff for 1st. If there's a tie for 2nd, they should split 2nd and 3rd place money. Tie for 3rd should be a split of 3rd place money. I don't think retro is fair in any case.
              As there is a big jump in the pay outs. They payed off for all the top spots.
              I thought it was the right call. This is also the format for all tournaments with them.

Comment

As there is a big jump in the pay outs. They payed off for all the top spots.
                I thought it was the right call. This is also the format for all tournaments with them.
                The PGA has a big jump, but they don't playoff for 2nd and 3rd...I think that's a pretty weak format myself. If I tie for 3rd, I want my share of 3rd place money - I don't want to have to playoff for all or nothing when I have no chance of finishing 1st.
                Last edited by P25; Aug 10, 2010, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Always play it out for top spot. No one remembers who came in second anyway.

Comment

Nothing to do with it.. gift cert. were given to those that needed it as per the rules.
                    Not meant to thread jack, BUT, did those who accepted gift certificates waive the right to win cash BEFORE the tournament began?

Comment

Whats your Call??
                      IMO, retro is a joke (at least the way I've seen it applied) because it puts importance on the sequence of the individual hole scores rather than what's really important, the total score. If two teams/competitors are tied after regulation play, then the sequence of their respective scores should be completely irrelevant. A playoff (of some kind) is the way to go.

Also, the playoff format should be established prior to the competition and communicated to the competitors.
                      Sage of the GTA...

Comment

Originally posted by aaagc View Post
                        Your question has nothing to do with the question asked...

WIT SM C130 Cart Bag:
                        TM SLDR 10.5*
                        TM SLDR 3W & TM V-Steel 5W
                        TM Rescue 22*
                        4-PW Mix of Mizuno MX-25's and TM RBZ's
                        Wedges: Titleist SM 53* & 56*
                        Ping Ketch
                        Ball: What's on sale?

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow View Post
                          Not meant to thread jack, BUT, did those who accepted gift certificates waive the right to win cash BEFORE the tournament began?

Who cares?

As with aaagc, your question has NOTHING to do with what the OP asked...

WIT SM C130 Cart Bag:
                          TM SLDR 10.5*
                          TM Rescue 22*
                          Ping Ketch

Comment

Originally posted by Leftygolfer30 View Post
                            Who cares?

As with aaagc, your question has NOTHING to do with what the OP asked...
                            Perhaps you could let us know how the original question relates to either Rules or Etiquette. I believe that both comments are in fact queries that are consistent with the topic(s) of the forum. It was also the first question that came to my mind when I read the original post, so several of us would be interested in the answer.

The answer to the original question would be quite different depending on what is at stake.
                            People who lose faith in golf commonly convert to Catholicism, because the rules are easier to live with.

Golf: - The Agony and the Ecstasy

Comment

Originally posted by A Man Called Papa View Post
                              Perhaps you could let us know how the original question relates to either Rules or Etiquette. I believe that both comments are in fact queries that are consistent with the topic(s) of the forum. It was also the first question that came to my mind when I read the original post, so several of us would be interested in the answer.
                              The original question was about how ties should be broken and the allocation of the prize money NOT about the amateur status of the participants.

Those two comments/questions have nothing to do with the original question being asked but I'm sure you and your RO buddies will offer up a hundred different confusing explanations as to how you think the tie(s) should have been broken...

WIT SM C130 Cart Bag:
                              TM SLDR 10.5*
                              TM Rescue 22*
                              Ping Ketch

Comment

Collapse

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Topics: 179,894   Posts: 1,885,427   Members: 48,469   Active Members: 481
                              Welcome to our newest member, Tomfooler.
                              Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Working...
                              X