/*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked BEGIN*/ /*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked END*/
Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Another bunker question

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another bunker question

Goshawk's post on the Dustin Johnston fiasco at the PGA got me thinking...

Originally posted by goshawk View Post
    When you're playing a tournament like this on a property with 4 golf courses, you do run the risk of being in a bunker on a different course that's not as "pristine" as the ones on the course that you're playing if you stray off the prescribed course. The problem: they are still bunkers. As far as I could see, there's no other sandy areas anywhere on the property. .
    If you're in a bunker on a different course, are you OB?
    Are you always OB, only if staked, or can this be subject to a local rule?

Just wondering...
    "Confusion" will be my epitaph
    ...Iggy

Re: Another bunker question

You are only OOB idf you have crossed any defined (ie by LocalRule) margins (eg stakes, fences, walls, roads etc).
    Putting isn't golf, greens should be treated almost the same as water hazards: you land on them, then add two strokes to your score.
    - Chi Chi Rodriguez

Comment

Totally agree with our RCGA friend. At Rolling Hills, we have two adjacent courses and there are no stakes or markings that indicate out of bounds, although I'd like to see them put the stakes up there to discourage "reckless blasting" of drivers.
      On the other hand, one of our courses borders the South course at Station Creek, and the entire length of those two holes are clearly marked with OB stakes and it's on the score card (I believe). The OB stakes are also along the fairway for that hole for the Station Creek golfers.
      As far as I know, the only time you're out of bounds is if you cross a clearly marked/staked boundary.
      U. S. Air Force, Retired

Comment

Totally agree with our RCGA friend. At Rolling Hills, we have two adjacent courses and there are no stakes or markings that indicate out of bounds, although I'd like to see them put the stakes up there to discourage "reckless blasting" of drivers.
        On the other hand, one of our courses borders the South course at Station Creek, and the entire length of those two holes are clearly marked with OB stakes and it's on the score card (I believe). The OB stakes are also along the fairway for that hole for the Station Creek golfers.
        As far as I know, the only time you're out of bounds is if you cross a clearly marked/staked boundary.
        I'm glad to hear this from you and aaagc, as I'm often in bunkers on the wrong hole on a course. I've yet to be in one on a different course - but that's just a matter of time...

FWIW I think you're half right to want stakes put up to separate the adjacent courses - but I doubt it would have the desired effect on the desired audience....
        ...Iggy

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post
          I'm glad to hear this from you and aaagc, as I'm often in bunkers on the wrong hole on a course. I've yet to be in one on a different course - but that's just a matter of time...

FWIW I think you're half right to want stakes put up to separate the adjacent courses - but I doubt it would have the desired effect on the desired audience....
          You're probably correct. First you have to care that you're hitting into another course/fairway that you can't tell whether someone is there or not. Some recreational golfers just couldn't care less.
          U. S. Air Force, Retired

Comment

You're probably correct. First you have to care that you're hitting into another course/fairway that you can't tell whether someone is there or not. Some recreational golfers just couldn't care less.
            Not only that, but I would wager that more than half don't know what white stakes even mean.... so there's no way they CAN care!
            ...Iggy

Comment

Collapse

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Topics: 179,894   Posts: 1,885,424   Members: 48,469   Active Members: 481
            Welcome to our newest member, Tomfooler.
            Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Working...
            X