Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Attesting a round

X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by just123123 View Post
    Re: Attesting a round


    I wouldn't be surprised if this is an issue during tournaments. It seems to me like my group(s) have marker issues. "What ya get?".... "4!".... "Really?"....."OK" ie.....{Can your conscience really live with a 4 or should I mark a 5 like you really got?}
    A few years back, i played in a big event out here. 36 holes in one day. Midway through, I got tipped off to watch the guy I was marking. After the round, there was a discrepancy on one hole. I assumed I was wrong and altered his score. I was so sun baked from 36* heat, I didn't think anything of it.

    A few minutes later, I thought about it and realized that he'd done me wrong. I went and found another playing partner and he confirmed the guy's score. His card was officially submitted and he was leading.

    I ended up meeting with the club captain, secretary, and head pro, who were all "officials" for the event.

    He'd definitely done it intentionally. After about a half hour of meetings, interviews, etc, he was disqualified. He would have won the event without the stroke. Thinking back, I was pretty sure that he'd shaved a shot in the morning 18 as well.

    He is now a pro, and after speaking with another pro recently, he hasn't changed his ways. They fell one signature short of getting an official investigation launched into his "tactics" a few years back and were alarmed to hear my story.

    With all of the tournament golf I've played in the past 15 or so years, I am still amazed at the number of cheats there are out there.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by johnny canuck View Post

      A few years back, i played in a big event out here. 36 holes in one day. Midway through, I got tipped off to watch the guy I was marking. After the round, there was a discrepancy on one hole. I assumed I was wrong and altered his score. I was so sun baked from 36* heat, I didn't think anything of it.

      A few minutes later, I thought about it and realized that he'd done me wrong. I went and found another playing partner and he confirmed the guy's score. His card was officially submitted and he was leading.

      I ended up meeting with the club captain, secretary, and head pro, who were all "officials" for the event.

      He'd definitely done it intentionally. After about a half hour of meetings, interviews, etc, he was disqualified. He would have won the event without the stroke. Thinking back, I was pretty sure that he'd shaved a shot in the morning 18 as well.

      He is now a pro, and after speaking with another pro recently, he hasn't changed his ways. They fell one signature short of getting an official investigation launched into his "tactics" a few years back and were alarmed to hear my story.

      With all of the tournament golf I've played in the past 15 or so years, I am still amazed at the number of cheats there are out there.
      The business of being a professional golfer and playing in tournaments around the globe for money is HUGE. A stroke here and there could be the difference of thousands of dollars. Why not cheat? Why not collude with your playing partners for shared dollars? It could be very lucrative. At the end of the day (unless televised or walking referees for EVERY grouping & etc) who would really know?

      How many times have we seen players disqualified after posting an incorrect score because an arm chair warrior called it in? How many more have not been caught? ..... on purpose.....

      Remember the Patrick Reed incident(s)? He's a high profile professional, viewed and televised more frequently than most.

      Some of these guys might be tired of eating spaghetti out of a can.
      What's In The Bag:
      Driver: Taylormade Sim 9.5*
      3 Wood: Taylormade Sim 15*
      Utility(s): Ping G410 18*
      Irons: Cally Epic Forged 4-AW
      Wedge: Cally Jaws X-Series 58*
      Putter: Scotty Newport 2


      WITB FLA:
      Same as Above

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by just123123 View Post
        How many times have we seen players disqualified after posting an incorrect score because an arm chair warrior called it in? How many more have not been caught? ..... on purpose.....
        Within this context, a clear distinction should be made between 'cheating' and 'breaking a rule'.

        Comment


        • #19
          Why not cheat? Because it's wrong. Who would know? The cheater certainly would. If you can't be trusted to play fair, then you have no honour, as a result of which your reputation is tarnished. No amount of cash would, for me at least, make up for that.

          I used to play a lot of tournaments on the East Coast when I was younger. When marking another's score, we would invariably verify the others player's score after every hole. If there was an issue, we'd sort it out immediately. In all those years, I can only remember one time when I had an issue with another player's "memory".

          Originally posted by just123123 View Post

          The business of being a professional golfer and playing in tournaments around the globe for money is HUGE. A stroke here and there could be the difference of thousands of dollars. Why not cheat? Why not collude with your playing partners for shared dollars? It could be very lucrative. At the end of the day (unless televised or walking referees for EVERY grouping & etc) who would really know?

          ...
          This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

          Comment


          • #20
            In all the years of watching professional golf on TV, I think I there were more times that players called penalties on themselves when no one( including their caddy)had noticed , than players trying to get away with one.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post
              Re: Attesting a round



              It sure does!

              I figured 1.3 would apply to the second scenario, but really didn't know what would happen under the other ones
              Thanks!
              It is strange reading my posts nine years on, especially as I am this month two years retired from officiating.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by mpare View Post
                Why not cheat? Because it's wrong. Who would know? The cheater certainly would. If you can't be trusted to play fair, then you have no honour, as a result of which your reputation is tarnished. No amount of cash would, for me at least, make up for that.

                I used to play a lot of tournaments on the East Coast when I was younger. When marking another's score, we would invariably verify the others player's score after every hole. If there was an issue, we'd sort it out immediately. In all those years, I can only remember one time when I had an issue with another player's "memory".


                Really? A bit naive don't ya think? You shouldn't cheat, that's a given. BUT, don't think they're not out there by the dozens.

                Have you heard of the term sandbagger, you know the guys/gals that shoot a career round(s) during a tournament? Of course you have. (he said rhetorically) These are the people that select which rounds to enter toward their handicap before entering a tournament and those people are playing to win trinkets. Isn't that cheating?

                We all have our stories.... and I'm sure there are a number of professionals that have theirs.
                What's In The Bag:
                Driver: Taylormade Sim 9.5*
                3 Wood: Taylormade Sim 15*
                Utility(s): Ping G410 18*
                Irons: Cally Epic Forged 4-AW
                Wedge: Cally Jaws X-Series 58*
                Putter: Scotty Newport 2


                WITB FLA:
                Same as Above

                Comment


                • #23
                  You missed the entire point of my post, which was that cheating is wrong and shouldn’t be done. I never said that there weren’t cheaters out there. There are, and they come in many forms. I have also written previously about sandbaggers and ways to deal with them. At 72 years of age, and having played golf for 60 years, there’s nothing I haven’t seen. Naive, I’m not.

                  Originally posted by just123123 View Post

                  Really? A bit naive don't ya think? You shouldn't cheat, that's a given. BUT, don't think they're not out there by the dozens.

                  Have you heard of the term sandbagger, you know the guys/gals that shoot a career round(s) during a tournament? Of course you have. (he said rhetorically) These are the people that select which rounds to enter toward their handicap before entering a tournament and those people are playing to win trinkets. Isn't that cheating?

                  We all have our stories.... and I'm sure there are a number of professionals that have theirs.
                  This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by mpare View Post
                    You missed the entire point of my post,


                    Yup...
                    What's In The Bag:
                    Driver: Taylormade Sim 9.5*
                    3 Wood: Taylormade Sim 15*
                    Utility(s): Ping G410 18*
                    Irons: Cally Epic Forged 4-AW
                    Wedge: Cally Jaws X-Series 58*
                    Putter: Scotty Newport 2


                    WITB FLA:
                    Same as Above

                    Comment

                    Collapse

                    Latest TGN Reviews


                    Collapse

                    PGA Leaderboard


                    Collapse

                    Today's Birthdays


                    Working...
                    X