Collapse

Islington Advertising

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bcampb00 View Post

When members see "their" course on underpar they won't be too pleased. Might start thinking they could save some money by playing through underpar as well. It might keep the lights on this year but create even bigger problems next year and beyond. I agree Peterborough probably doesn't even have this risky option.
    I meant more that the trail membership is a way to turn on the taps for cash for a private club in the GTA, to go out and sell 100 memberships at $3,000 is an instant $300,000 in the bank - that will always save them in a pinch unless there has been some terrible financial mismanagement.....

Comment

Don't know St. Catherine's but if they have a 50 person wait list I would agree they are killing it. Cat - not so much. Great course, nice club but they got some "issues" like most everyone else.
      Part of a remodel of the country club model has done wonders for St Catharines. A focus on family, community etc. New workout area, better dinning, a pool etc. Its the place to be in that city. They hired Global Golf Advisors to handle the project. Galt and Oshawa are undergoing a similar project. Not rocket science, create a place where everyone has something to do and families will come.

Cataraqui is a golfer's golf club. A lot of great players there. Developing a strategy whereby members can enjoy the benefits of the club without playing just golf would go a long way. Fitness, dining, yoga etc are becoming much more important with a younger generation.

Comment

Originally posted by Sportsyard View Post

Part of a remodel of the country club model has done wonders for St Catharines. A focus on family, community etc. New workout area, better dinning, a pool etc. Its the place to be in that city. They hired Global Golf Advisors to handle the project. Galt and Oshawa are undergoing a similar project. Not rocket science, create a place where everyone has something to do and families will come.

Cataraqui is a golfer's golf club. A lot of great players there. Developing a strategy whereby members can enjoy the benefits of the club without playing just golf would go a long way. Fitness, dining, yoga etc are becoming much more important with a younger generation.
        I think there is room for lots of different successful strategies. A full service country club with lots of "stuff" is a possibility and can definitely be successful if done well - sounds like St. Catharines "gets it" for their demographic. I (humbly) suggest that this is a bit of a niche strategy. Providing lots of different activities / services (dining, fitness, pool, tennis, kids activities, etc) won't enhance every course and in many cases will just provide a lot of expense that most members won't care for (they wont use it and will resent paying for it - they want to play golf. Sticking to a golf centric strategy and executing that very well has an equal chance of success if done right (imho).

Overall, I think golf clubs should have a strategy in mind and then marshall their resources to execute their strategy as successfully as possible. I see way more examples of clubs who have a confusing "vision" statement about being the best at something (or some such thing) but then enact policies entirely inconsistent with their stated strategies which just leaves everyone confused about their true objectives and allows the clubs to flounder. I think this applies to a great majority of GTA area clubs where the "full country club" model is all but DOA and they have not figured out (or articulated) an alternative.

Comment

When members see "their" course on underpar they won't be too pleased. Might start thinking they could save some money by playing through underpar as well. It might keep the lights on this year but create even bigger problems next year and beyond. I agree Peterborough probably doesn't even have this risky option.
          Clubs could be proactive with their members and communicate "why" they're doing an Underpar promo. Whatever the reason may be. Even if it was a heads-up as no one like to hear of those things second hand. If I were a member, I'd be slighted too if I saw the public playing my club for pennies on the dollar. Kind of like when you see a great promo at your favourite store/club and realize it's only for "new customers only".
          – Greg

Comment

Originally posted by synergy View Post

Clubs could be proactive with their members and communicate "why" they're doing an Underpar promo. Whatever the reason may be. Even if it was a heads-up as no one like to hear of those things second hand. If I were a member, I'd be slighted too if I saw the public playing my club for pennies on the dollar. Kind of like when you see a great promo at your favourite store/club and realize it's only for "new customers only".
            Precisely. Beginning of the end..

Comment

Precisely. Beginning of the end..
              There are really only a few private clubs that have used underpar this year as a capital raise.... I believe Kawartha, Lookout Point, and PTBO? Basically the ones in potential financial trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by synergy View Post

Or you can look at it as an alternative source of revenue and a way of advertising the club to some potential new members, especially at off peak hours where the course probably isn't all that busy. I wouldn't be slighted in the least, provided the guests were respectful. Guests play all the time (with a member) and tournaments also bring in $. I applaud the creativity.
                MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffc View Post

Or you can look at it as an alternative source of revenue and a way of advertising the club to some potential new members, especially at off peak hours where the course probably isn't all that busy. I wouldn't be slighted in the least, provided the guests were respectful. Guests play all the time (with a member) and tournaments also bring in $. I applaud the creativity.
                  Until the members conclude that they can access their course more cost effectively as a client of Underpar than as a member. Then the trouble begins.

Comment

I think there is room for lots of different successful strategies. A full service country club with lots of "stuff" is a possibility and can definitely be successful if done well - sounds like St. Catharines "gets it" for their demographic. I (humbly) suggest that this is a bit of a niche strategy. Providing lots of different activities / services (dining, fitness, pool, tennis, kids activities, etc) won't enhance every course and in many cases will just provide a lot of expense that most members won't care for (they wont use it and will resent paying for it - they want to play golf. Sticking to a golf centric strategy and executing that very well has an equal chance of success if done right (imho).

Overall, I think golf clubs should have a strategy in mind and then marshall their resources to execute their strategy as successfully as possible. I see way more examples of clubs who have a confusing "vision" statement about being the best at something (or some such thing) but then enact policies entirely inconsistent with their stated strategies which just leaves everyone confused about their true objectives and allows the clubs to flounder. I think this applies to a great majority of GTA area clubs where the "full country club" model is all but DOA and they have not figured out (or articulated) an alternative.
                    Just my two cents. I've worked with over 100 clubs in the last year in the U.S. and Canada. Almost all of them are looking to make their clubs more family friendly. Gen X and millennial parents are more likely to pay for something the entire family can enjoy. Look at Medinah in Chicago. A "golfers" club that has hosted major championships felt the need to reinvent itself to attract new members. The club raises egg laying hens on the grounds for its dining facilities, grows herbs and vegetables, taps its trees for maple syrup and even has a food truck that drives around the course. Now its the place to be for young families and not the stodgy old golf club it might have been perceived as. https://clubandresortbusiness.com/20...ing-new-moves/

Islington using Facebook is great way to attract families, targeting the mothers. Keep the pipe line full of leads for when/if they need to use it.

I'm not saying that there won't always be a place for club that sells itself as a golfers club only, but I think it might be the niche going forward.
                    It's not the wand. It's the wizard.

Comment

Originally posted by The McCleery Crow View Post

Just my two cents. I've worked with over 100 clubs in the last year in the U.S. and Canada. Almost all of them are looking to make their clubs more family friendly. Gen X and millennial parents are more likely to pay for something the entire family can enjoy. Look at Medinah in Chicago. A "golfers" club that has hosted major championships felt the need to reinvent itself to attract new members. The club raises egg laying hens on the grounds for its dining facilities, grows herbs and vegetables, taps its trees for maple syrup and even has a food truck that drives around the course. Now its the place to be for young families and not the stodgy old golf club it might have been perceived as. https://clubandresortbusiness.com/20...ing-new-moves/

Islington using Facebook is great way to attract families, targeting the mothers. Keep the pipe line full of leads for when/if they need to use it.

I'm not saying that there won't always be a place for club that sells itself as a golfers club only, but I think it might be the niche going forward.
                      Who are you calling a mother?

Comment

Until the members conclude that they can access their course more cost effectively as a client of Underpar than as a member. Then the trouble begins.
                        if the key driver for a member was cost holding on tot hat member was in doubt long before underpar...

Comment

Originally posted by Bern View Post

Who are you calling a mother?
                          hah I worried that might taken the wrong way. But ya, 88% of women use Facebook, the most engaged being the 18-49 demo. I think most club marketing professionals will say that referrals are the best way to grow membership for multiple reasons but if your membership is aging, it doesn't hurt to try some other methods to get some younger leads.

It's not the wand. It's the wizard.

Comment

I doubt it. People don't generally join private clubs to save a few bucks, they join for a host of other reasons.
                            MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffc View Post

I doubt it. People don't generally join private clubs to save a few bucks, they join for a host of other reasons.
                              Agreed. One of the most important is exclusivity. If anyone can come on down and play being a member isnt worth too much.

Comment

Originally posted by The McCleery Crow View Post

Wow Medinah sounds cool.
                                Back to my earlier point how many TGNers,SWO, Ontario or Canadian golfers have private golf membership as a high priority on their to do list.

How many private memberships are being sold each year? What's the demand compared to supply.

Possible future poll question. How would you describe your motivation in getting a private golf membership in 2018?. Definite 100% Highly Interested 75% Interested 50% Doubtful 25% Zilch 0%

What percentage of trial rounds and or open houses do you think get converted into full time memberships?

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

There are no members with birthdays today.

Working...
                                X