Collapse

The Next Honorary Starters at Augusta

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Next Honorary Starters at Augusta

Hoping for lots more Jack and Gary Player, do you guys think that Tom Watson will join them as an honorary starter next year?

After these gentlemen are done their service, who steps up as the next crop of starters? Could anyone see Fred Couples as a starter in 15 years? Phil and Tiger sure look like they could be together down the line as well.

I'd say either Crenshaw or Watson
    "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

I'll go with Floyd and Watson.
      plus a change, plus c'est la mme chose

Comment

My guess is that they'll choose accomplished golfers who have a long history with the Masters and who are generally beloved. Using that criteria, I'd think that the following individuals would fit the bill once they stop playing: Tom Watson; Freddie, and Ben. Faldo has softened the sharp edges for his personality, so he's a possibility. One other potential candidate that most people wouldn't think of, but who won twice, and who has an unblemished reputation is Langer. Of that group, I think that Watson would be their next pick, followed by Freddie, if he ever stops playing. Tiger may be chosen down the line, but his well documented trysts might not stand him in good stead with the straight shooters at Augusta. Phil is a much safer pick in that regard.
        This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

Fuzzy.
          No collared greens pls

Comment

I cannot say who is next (Id guess Watson) but Id bet eventually Tiger and Phil at the same time (meaning they will tee off together for years as part of it at some point).
            Still getting the hang of this game!

In the Ogio Atlas for riding or Ogio Vaporlite for carrying:

Ping G2 with HOT PINK Grafalloy Bimatrix
            Srixon W-403 AD 5 wood
            Nike 23 degree hybrid
            Ping eye2+ irons 5-PW
            Cleveland CG14 Gunmetal 52, 56
            Bronze Ping Anser 3 with Tigershark grip

Comment

Judging by who played together at the Par 3 contest, I would say Tom Watson is next in line
              Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Can't believe there hasn't been any mention of Trevino. He had the best character of them all. Interacted with the crowd better than anyone. He's pushing 80 now, so they better not wait too much longer.
                Bridgestone J715 10.5
                Adams Tight Lies Titanium 13.5
                Adams Super LS 17d.
                Mizuno JPX-850 forged 4-PW
                Scratch 8620 53d.
                Callaway X-forged 58d.
                Odyssey White Hot Tour #2
                Srixon Q-star tour

Comment

Originally posted by 73monte View Post
                  Can't believe there hasn't been any mention of Trevino. He had the best character of them all. Interacted with the crowd better than anyone. He's pushing 80 now, so they better not wait too much longer.
                  He never won the masters
                  MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffc View Post

He never won the masters
                    OOPS.... I guess might be a bit of a stumbling block.
                    Bridgestone J715 10.5
                    Adams Tight Lies Titanium 13.5
                    Adams Super LS 17d.
                    Mizuno JPX-850 forged 4-PW
                    Scratch 8620 53d.
                    Callaway X-forged 58d.
                    Odyssey White Hot Tour #2
                    Srixon Q-star tour

Comment

for many reasons this will not happen. However I LOVE the man!

Comment

I was thinking Trevino would be a great character, but alas he never won there and for many years refused to play Augusta as he said the course didn't suit his game but there was also a comment to the effect of "if I wasn't invited as a player the only way I would get onto the course is through the kitchen". The article I read said he now regrets not playing there much during his career.
                        What's in the bag?
                        TM M2
                        Cobra F6 fairway woods and irons
                        PING Sigma G Putter
                        Les Grossman: "I'm talking G5. Playa, playa"

Comment

Guys like Tom Watson and Tiger are legendary names who we can also identify with the Masters because of their history there. I'd lean towards that sort of player.

Should the starters be players who are also competing in the tournament? I'm pretty sure that happened decades ago, and the starter(s) would actually be the first group to tee off. I kinda like that.

But when you become an honorary starter, it feels like a ceremonial thing, so I'm not sure anyone who thinks they can still win would want to take on the job, or the commitment to an early tee time surrounded by pomp.

But if the starter is a non-competitor, Watson might be at that stage at some point. Faldo is a possibility, and he won three times ... though I'm not sure I'd call him "beloved," which is something that feels like a part of it.

If there are no obvious names, or the obvious names say, "nah, I'm in it to win it," the starter could become a new person each year (like the flag bearer at the Olympics). Maybe they'd go with three-time winner Faldo one year, hometown hero Larry Mize the next, an internet poster who named himself after their signature sandwich another year, etc. They could also bring in the winner of the previous week's women's amateur event to be one of the starters.

Comment

Originally posted by Pimento Cheese View Post
                            an internet poster who named himself after their signature sandwich another year, etc.
                            Hmm, seems pretty specific

What's in the bag?
                            TM M2
                            Cobra F6 fairway woods and irons
                            PING Sigma G Putter
                            Les Grossman: "I'm talking G5. Playa, playa"

Comment

We have our answer:

Click image for larger version

Name:	001.png
Views:	233
Size:	471.6 KB