Collapse

My new golf game

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new golf game

From a previous thread from last November (https://www.torontogolfnuts.com/foru...oals-for-2018I) I identified 3 things I wanted to improve upon and how I would go about it.

My strategy was as follows…..
    Golf Objectives for 2018:
    1. Improve putting generally, but especially the 4 to 8 foot ones.
    2. Hit more fairways on drives.
    3. Finally make fairway woods and hybrids part of my game.
    Strategies for Achievement of Objectives:
    1. Read Peltz’s book on putting.
    2. Indoor winter putting practice with Peltz drills.
    3. Regular range time for long club practice during season.
    Measures of Success:
    1. Fewer putts per round.
    2. Fewer unplayable and lost balls - more games with no lost balls.
    3. Breaking 90 more frequently.

So over the winter, putting indoors, I totally re-worked my approach to putting. I have gotten away from trying to control the angle of my putter face during the stroke, to concentrating just on rolling the ball down the first foot or so of my aim line.

Playing at Annandale and practicing at Launch over the winter, I focussed on driving accuracy and getting used to using my fairway woods and hybrids.

So today at Remington Parkview I put all of this in motion and…shot an 85, which is the best score I have ever made. Last year I broke 90 only about 4 times all season.

As far as my driving went, most were kept in play, not necessarily on the fairway, but leaving me a shot to the green, so that I did not have to scramble out of trouble just to put a ball back into play. I am no longer trying to power my drives for distance, but rather just trying to get it out there, for a playable lie, even if distance is sacrificed. I only 1 lost ball, (the fact that there are no leaves on the trees kinda helped too).

That allowed me to put my fairway wood and long hybrids into play which got me that much closer to the holes and made for chips closer in to the green, which meant shorter putts.

I had a total of 29 putts…eight 1 putts and only one 3 putt.

Yes, it’s only one game, and not every day is going to be as good, but some of these things are real game changers for me. Very much looking forward to this season. Have to watch not to fall back into old habits.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Well done. You have goals, a plan of action and signs of progress. Keep it up.

Comment

Sounds like a very good approach with solid results, congrats, beginners could use some or all of your approach to do better.
      Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

Thanks, those strategic management courses I took are finally paying off.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

OP - Great to here the plan paid off on the first outing !

For the last 4 off-seasons, I had a plan, and never followed it.
          My main plan was to pre-pay and buy hours at the local golf dome ( which I did ) , pre-pay a block of lessons from my instructor ( which I did ) , but I never seemed to get out there and make use of my good intentions.
          UNTIL THIS YEAR ! I hit a lot of balls in my instructor's practice Sim and at another local indoor facility ( GolfPlay ) , had several quality lessons ( via Kris McGowan ) resulting in real positive changes & consistency in my swing.

I feel this is the first time in years I will hit the ground running and get my A-game going in short order. My goal is to have more rounds in the mid & low 70's, and an expectation of more birdies. My previous mindset on an approach shot was to get on the green and achieve a 2-putt Par, but I want my mindset to expect my approach shots to be closer giving more looks at birdie opportunities. I have never shot Par ( been +1 a few times ) , but I know if the above happens, the Par round will take of itself.

~ Andy
          🍍 2023 WITB 🍍​
          Bag | Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
          Titleist TSi2 10* | Miyazaki Kusala Black 61x or UST LIN-Q White M40X 6F3
          Titleist TSR3 18* Fairway | Evenflow White 60S
          Titleist TSR1 20* Hybrid | Evenflow White 90S
          Edel SMS Pro 5-PW | Steelfiber i110cw-S
          Edel SMS GW & LW | Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter | Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip
          Grips | All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

Comment

Agree, at whatever level, it's all about focussing on specific issues and objectives and finding out what works for you.

My putting was atrocious until I read and watched some videos to sort out what I was going wrong. After, that sorting out a fix was the next step, and it looks promising.

Having learned this approach to improving, I plan on applying it more specifically to other parts of my game.

It is so gratifying to work on something and start to see your way around issue to positive results.

Comment

Congrats. It always makes me happy to read these success stories and seeing hard work pay off. Here is to you having a most enjoyable summer!

Comment

Originally posted by Gridiron View Post
                Congrats. It always makes me happy to read these success stories and seeing hard work pay off. Here is to you having a most enjoyable summer!
                Thank you. I'll drink to that.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                X