Collapse

Western Canada course condition reviews

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Western Canada course condition reviews

Played a bunch of different courses this week, thought I would post up some conditioning reports.

kananaskis: Mt Lorette. Pristine fairways. Greens healthy, but slow. Typical of this course as they keep them. A little longer to ensure survival in the variable climate. Must play this gem, it was much better than I remember as a layout. Usually I played Mt Kidd as I preferrred it. We did not get a look at the Kidd front nine as we played the Lorette 18.

Grewolf at Panorama. My home away from home. For the fourth year in a row, the greens, with the new air system installed for the winter, came through in perfect shape. They are also running faster than I have ever seen before. Really improves the experience. Fairways, likewise are in awesome shape. The greens used to be kept longer and slower for serviceability, but with the better over-wintering, it looks like they are able to speed them up. Really a must play gem if you are in the area.

Radium Springs: some recent renovations have improved the course. More now to the original design envisioned by Ferber. This course had deteriorated several years ago, but the redesign of some holes and improved conditioning and it is back to a top tier course. The second hole is more open with some houses added, trees were cleared, giving a better view off the tee. Tee boxes were added on 5 tee, making an already tough, long uphill dogleg left par 4 even harder. You are now driving down a chute playing from blues or blacks. 16 always had Ferber original five tee boxes, but the back three were never opened. Now they are and you can’t cut the corner anymore over trees. Makes what could be a Mickey Mouse par 4 into a much better hole.

Eagle Ranch. Nothing less than the best greens in the vallley, bar none. Great shape fairways. one of my favourites, save for a couple of silly short par 4’s in 7 and 8. Are at the clubhouse last night. Unreal food. A big thunderstorm over the Rockies with booming thunder added some great entertainment to the mix.

Copper Point today. Will report later.
    Ping G430 9*, Ping Tour Chrome 65g Reg flex
    Ping G430 Max 3w and 5w, 75g Ping Tour Chrome Reg flex
    Ping G430 Max 22* Hybrid 85g Ping tour Max Reg flex
    TM P790 irons, 5-AW, DG R300U 105gm
    Ping Glide 54/12 and 58/08 wedges
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 33”​

Copper Point. I like the course because the fairways are pretty generous, and while not the longest of courses, even on the shorter par 4’s you still have the opportunity to hit driver. The grass on the greens was somewhat sparse, but cut and rolled, so ran true.

The bad? Maybe the worst bunkers for condition. Heavy dense sand, very wet and hard, some bunkers the sand was very thin. Pebble infestations everywhere. Really awful condition for the bunkers. No consistency. Drove me insane.

Comment

Ill join in on this one. Only played a couple of courses so far.

Stewart creek... Greens were great. Not bumpy at all and putts stayed online. Fairways rough and tees were a bit banged up but thats to be expected for a mountain course. 7 montha of snow cover will do that.

Canyon meadows. Not much to say about this one. All ill say is it could host the shaw tomorrow and not have to do anything except stop mowing the rough. Excellent courae in beautiful condition.

Comment

Canyon, IME, might be the best conditioned course in Calgary. Some winterkill on 2 green and more extensive on 17 green, but both are knitting the new sod well. Putts are true now. Last played it two weeks ago, so I assume it is better now. Looking to get nine holes in tonight.

Comment

Played canyon again on thursday. Theyve done some plugging and i expect 2 and 17 to be in fine form by july. With all the rain in the past 24hr i expect it to be lush as lush and very much worth the guest price. Not that it wasnt before.

im going to cranbrook this weekend and may play crowsnest pass on the way there. I heard the new holes open today. Played it last summer and i thpught it was just as good as silver tip or stewart creek at much less cost. We payed 60 each for 18 including cart. Another 80 for a hotel still came in cheaper than a round at silver lol

Comment

Originally posted by AdiosAmigo View Post
            Played canyon again on thursday. Theyve done some plugging and i expect 2 and 17 to be in fine form by july. With all the rain in the past 24hr i expect it to be lush as lush and very much worth the guest price. Not that it wasnt before.

im going to cranbrook this weekend and may play crowsnest pass on the way there. I heard the new holes open today. Played it last summer and i thpught it was just as good as silver tip or stewart creek at much less cost. We payed 60 each for 18 including cart. Another 80 for a hotel still came in cheaper than a round at silver lol
            2 is still pretty rough. Fingers crossed it clears up. Only got in nine in the deluge yesterday. Finishing the match Monday. 18 to play at noon today.

SilverTip, not a favorite of mine frankly. Would Olay Stewart Creek before ST. I have heard good things about Crowsnest. Have fun!

Comment

Am planning to play Silvertip in mid-August.

Any advance feedback on conditions would be appreciated.

Comment

Get your tee time later in the day. Noon should be safe. Frost delays can happen anytime of year here. We had one just the other day. Cut the corner on 1 with a driver. Theyll advise a layup.

Comment

My cousin just texted me from Predator Ridge, they've been there all week, he said it's fantastic
                  Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Adios, as a friend of the owner, I would advise against cutting the corner on 1 unless you have deep pockets. A pull could get expensive, and the green is very narrow front to back, so can roll off back easy. Thirdly, you can’t see anyone on the green. You may be putting others in danger. It is a stupid hole, agreed, but play it as it should be played. 5i , 9i.

And while I know the owner, for the money, there are better courses to play in the area. The aforementioned Kananaskis courses. If you want to spring big bucks, Banff Springs is a legend. Stewart Creek across the valley and east end of Canmore is also a better overall layout. JMHO, YMMV.

I would think the Okanagan courses would be in perfect shape by now. Some are spectacular.

Comment

Glenco Forest yesterday. Conditions perfect, befitting the top tier nature of the private club. However, with all the moisture the last several days, the greens were soft, very receptive, and felt like they hadn’t been cut. Surprisingly slow.

Course is so punishing on errors. And many of the greens are optical illusions. Playing it once a year, you fail to recognize some of them. As examples, front flags, red, frequently look middle or back, depending on situation of location, and vice-versa. Hard course. But in overall good shape. Greens are one cut and roll from perfect.

Comment

I was in Vancouver and Kelowna two weeks ago. Played Kings Links by the Sea and Morgan Creek around Vancouver, both in good shape, greens at Morgan Creek were great. Played the Harvest Club and Gallagher’s Canyon in Kelowna. Both were in great condition. I had the first tee time Monday morning at Gallagher’s, after the McKenzie tour was there the prior weekend. Course was in amazing shape, greens were lightning!

Comment

Originally posted by Trips View Post
                          I was in Vancouver and Kelowna two weeks ago. Played Kings Links by the Sea and Morgan Creek around Vancouver, both in good shape, greens at Morgan Creek were great. Played the Harvest Club and Gallagher’s Canyon in Kelowna. Both were in great condition. I had the first tee time Monday morning at Gallagher’s, after the McKenzie tour was there the prior weekend. Course was in amazing shape, greens were lightning!
                          Love Gallagher’s. Wonderful old school course!

Comment

All the courses on Vancouver Island are in great shape. Rain, sunshine and hot weather are a great combination.

Comment

Gonna bump to add Mt Kidd front nine at Kananaskis. Also basically perfect. Back nine opens this weekend ( possibly today). Guessing it is going to be perfect as well. Greens are true, just slowish.

Also re-played both Eagle Ranch and Greywolf in last two weeks. Both remain perfect. In the east current,y, but will play both next week when back in mountains.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X