Collapse

Nevada Bob at SportChek

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nevada Bob at SportChek

I wonder why SportChek still maintains a NB in its stores. The area of NB has been cut back to almost nothing; there are no employees who know anything about golf; and each store only have a few no-name clubs for sale. Funny, every store has one TaylorMade Aeroburner driver (a 5year old club) for sale. The club has been there for several years. Obviously they are not doing a big business in golf sales. Why waste their time?

My daughter works for SC and asking her they sell a lot of bags, balls , shirts and shoes both in store and online. Ive checked the NB in her store a few times
    ( Upper Canada Mall) and they usually have a fair amount of clubs , I've never looked closely at what they have as I dont buy clubs retail.
    "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Morris View Post
      I wonder why SportChek still maintains a NB in its stores. The area of NB has been cut back to almost nothing; there are no employees who know anything about golf; and each store only have a few no-name clubs for sale. Funny, every store has one TaylorMade Aeroburner driver (a 5year old club) for sale. The club has been there for several years. Obviously they are not doing a big business in golf sales. Why waste their time?
      They probably make more selling a couple of shirts than that old TMade driver.

Comment

I woudnt mind buying some of there tools and simulator for fun.
        " the only shots you can be dead sure of are those you've had already."

WHATS IN THE BAG

Ping I20 9.5 stiff
        Sonartec 2.5 3/5 woods
        Mcgregor hybrids 3,4,5
        Ping i20
        MacGregor response
        Snickers tour bag
        Pro V1

Comment

I would guess that they maintain a tiny, albeit useless and disorganized display in store as a reminder for online sales. And I would also hazard a guess that they haven't lost golf revenue since eliminating product in-store, as their online business has made up the difference....and with less overhead in in-store inventory and knowledgeable staff.
          No good deed goes unpunished.
          A birdie is usually followed by

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
            My daughter works for SC and asking her they sell a lot of bags, balls , shirts and shoes both in store and online. Ive checked the NB in her store a few times
            ( Upper Canada Mall) and they usually have a fair amount of clubs , I've never looked closely at what they have as I dont buy clubs retail.
            The SC store location at UPC Mall, has changed to what seems to be a smaller and single floor store on the lower level from being spread over two floors in a better part of the mall in the past.
            Visited the store a lot in its old location because I always used it as an entrance into the mall.
            Back in the day I made quite a few golf purchases there, some of which were really good deals.
            They used to have a good selection of iron sets and a hitting area to try clubs out. Problem was usually lack of knowable staff, and during school breaks kids of all ages would play havoc on the small putting green, damaging putters and even wedges.
            New location was in there only once as it is now not on my usual routing around the mall.
            Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

Just another symptom of the decline of the golf market and brick-and-mortar retail. I like Sport Chek, they have good sales, but I buy mostly online from them because the stores don't stock very much.
              Cobra Cart Bag
              Cobra F8+ Aldila NV Green
              Cobra F7 3w 5w 7w
              Mizuno JPX-900 Hot Metal 5i-GW
              Callaway MD3 54-S,58-C
              Odyssey White Hot Rx #7

Comment

Originally posted by WeekendDuff View Post
                Just another symptom of the decline of the golf market and brick-and-mortar retail. I like Sport Chek, they have good sales, but I buy mostly online from them because the stores don't stock very much.
                And you just confirmed what i said above. On-line sales have eliminated the need and cost of in-store inventory.
                No good deed goes unpunished.
                A birdie is usually followed by

Comment

I got some great deals online , new set of Cobra F8 one length irons $400.00 below GT price and picked up a new F8 driver over 60% off . If you check inventory for the clubs listed on the web site it seems none of the store stocks them. I have been happy buying online .

Comment

Yes, I always wonder why SC remains in the golf business.
                    Every now and then....SC has some really good on-line sales on shoes...especially with the free shipping and if they don't fit...just return them to the store.

Comment

I think most of their clubs are shipped from store if purchased online. I would never order a putter from them again after receiving one that looked like it had seen years of play with no headcover.

Comment

Hardly ever see anyone at the desk at the Windsor SC. Any employees there generally don't seem well versed in golf. Their clothing clearance deals are quite good though. My wife has got a lot of clearance deals on golf apparel. A worker there told us that there are a select few stores in Ontario that are designated as clearance locations (meaning they get stuff shipped from many locations to clear out), and Windsor is one of them. Also, get her irons there at the end of last season - Callaway X Hot ladies on a great price reduction. I don't buy any golf stuff there though other than what I just mentioned. Mind you, Windsor is limited as far as golf retail goes. SC here does have a pretty decent selection of good clubs though (not for putters though), but as mentioned above, they still have a few "New" Aeroburner drivers.

Other than the clearance, and maybe running shoes, I seldom use SportChek at all. I don't use them for my hockey stuff either.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Morris View Post
                          Yes I agree but I recently benefited. A Sport Check store manger offered me employee discount on anything in store to settle a complaint. Went over to the sad NB section and grabbed about $100 in merchandise and it rang it for under 40 bucks. Small things tees, umbrella, alignment sticks, ball retriever, gloves. Tried to get some high end balls but not much of a mark down so passed. Club selection was brutal and have no need for more bags.

What I learned Sport Check.Ca online and Sport Check retail stores are independent of each other and separate companies and the retail stores are individually owned/franchises.

I'm sure a Sport Check employee can correct me or add more detail.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobogo View Post

What I learned Sport Check.Ca online and Sport Check retail stores are independent of each other and separate companies and the retail stores are individually owned/franchises.
                            Bad intel.
                            Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Originally posted by Big Shooter View Post

Bad intel.
                              Online and retail totally separate the reasoning I couldn't use my online credit code of $75 in store. Not promo code credit for screwed up order.

This "bad intel" is what the in store manager, the customer service rep at sportcheck.ca and the customer service manger at sportcheck.ca told me other than saying it is misinformation what is correct, are you saying 3 people gave me false info.

If you're in the know let's have it what's the arrangement/relationship between the online business and retail stores? Store ownership franchises, independently owned or other?

Let me know your correct intel source so I can follow up with them thanks.
                              Last edited by Bobogo; Mar 22, 2019, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X