No announcement yet.
Collapse

Big Win Guest Cabins!

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now that is pathetic! You have based your opinion on where I live. Check my previous contributions on this site to see where I have played before and then try to suggest I lack experience. You are grasping at straws.
    Let's go - While we're young!

Comment

I heard Paul Azinger say it was mediocre at best. But he says some pretty dumb things...
      What's in the Sunmountain 4.5?

10.5 M2 with Speeder 77 Stiff 3 wood shaft
      TM Rescue 17*
      TM M2 4-AW
      TM RAC 52/56 CG15 60
      Odyssey 2 Ball with Superstroke Fatso

Comment

Those cottages look amazing! Would love to stay there.

Played BWI about 3 times in the past, haven't gone up to do any golf in Muskoka for a couple of years. The novelty of going over to an island on a boat for golf is awesome. I'm almost scared to say that I may be closer to AlCzervik's camp though seeing as though he's being put through the grinder about his experience there. While it is a beautiful and very scenic course, I also didn't feel the course itself was worth the price of admission the second and third time I played there. The novelty of the boat ride had worn off, and by the 2nd and 3rd times, I was a much better golfer. Didn't find it as challenging as say Mark O'Meara (Grandview) course in Huntsville or the Rock over in Minett. For price of admission, I'd probably choose MM over BWI. But that's just me.

Comment

Everyone's opinion is what it is: Their own opinion.

I was pretty disappointed in Bigwin the first time I played it. Didn't live up to the hype and the price and the trouble to get there. The range, dinner on the veranda, level of service and the spectacular views on 6 and 18 were all good. Loading the boat with the clubs and taking it over from a friend's cottage was certainly a unique experience too. But it was a long and expensive day.

However.... the more times I played it the more I got to like it. Some holes that I'd thought I just played poorly turned out to be tougher than I thought. The greens were better than I thought. A few holes became more memorable.

Reminds me of Toot/North at Osprey in that way. It went from 3rd place to T1 of the 3 courses for me.
          "Confusion" will be my epitaph
          ...Iggy

Comment

Originally posted by LauzGolfer View Post
            Those cottages look amazing! Would love to stay there.

Played BWI about 3 times in the past, haven't gone up to do any golf in Muskoka for a couple of years. The novelty of going over to an island on a boat for golf is awesome. I'm almost scared to say that I may be closer to AlCzervik's camp though seeing as though he's being put through the grinder about his experience there. While it is a beautiful and very scenic course, I also didn't feel the course itself was worth the price of admission the second and third time I played there. The novelty of the boat ride had worn off, and by the 2nd and 3rd times, I was a much better golfer. Didn't find it as challenging as say Mark O'Meara (Grandview) course in Huntsville or the Rock over in Minett. For price of admission, I'd probably choose MM over BWI. But that's just me.
            There is lot's of great golf in Muskoka to be sure, I would pick Muskoka Bay as my favorite, I haven't had a chance to play Oviinbyrd yet but I'm looking for an invite. It's hard to call any of them mediocre. I think Al got roasted because his criticism lacked credibility. Preference is subjective and he's allowed to think it's mediocre, I would guess 90% of golfers will disagree. Bigwin now ranks in the top 20 on Score golf's 1op 100. Hate to say, your two didn't make the cut! I like Grandview but you need course knowledge on those blind tee shots. The off camber fairways can be quite penal and it's one tough walk. I played the first incarnation of The Rock, wasn't a fan. Maybe if I use up my points at the Marriott I'll sneak it in.

In 2017, Golf Canada/PGA of Canada reports that there are 2,051 18-hole golf courses in Canada. These represent the country's top 4.875%.

Comment

Originally posted by AlCzervik View Post
              Now that is pathetic! You have based your opinion on where I live. Check my previous contributions on this site to see where I have played before and then try to suggest I lack experience. You are grasping at straws.
              Golf is good for you.
              Last edited by 4underthru9; Mar 19, 2019, 11:55 PM.
              Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

I've played it 3 times (tournaments) and I have to agree it is not the best course. I remember having huge expectations going there the first time. Probably contributed to my disappointment. Hole 5 and 18 were obvious standouts though. Didn't like the orange/brown sand which looked awful. I think they finally switched to white sand which gives a nice visual contrast but haven't played it since the change. Also didn't like how the course is too far inland from the shores of the island. Seems like a wasted opportunity to make it feel special.

The service there was by far the best part of the experience though. They should do training for other courses.
                Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

Comment

The cabins look nice.

Comment

Cabins look great ! I/We will certainly give them a go.

As for the playing there, I loved my rounds there. The experience, the food, the setting, all the wildlife and the course was great. I also liked the redish sand although it was pretty hard. I would place BWI 3rd probably a tie with Ridge at Manitou in the Muskoka Courses behind #1 Muskoka Bay and #2 Rocky Crest. Port Carling is also a top 5 course IMO
                    "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

I like going to Bigwin once every two years or so.

The scenery is beautiful, but the course is only a little above average.

My favourite memory was the butter tarts at the halfway house.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post
                        Everyone's opinion is what it is: Their own opinion.
                        I am all for different opinions, but if you want to present a controversial opinion about a golf course on a golf site, it would be nice to back it up with a bit of, say, “substance”?

I thought Bigwin was really good, a surprisingly strong set of par 3’s, interesting green complexes, spectacular scenery on several holes, lots of variety in the par 4’s and a fantastic finishing par 5. I suspect that their new practice facility will be first rate. I think the course is better than Oviinbyrd, my second favourite up there, but Oviinbyrd definitely has a more impressive clubhouse, atmosphere and “hang”.

I want to try the other courses that the “mediocre” critic thinks are better but haven’t got that list ... yet.

Comment

Originally posted by bcampb00 View Post

I am all for different opinions, but if you want to present a controversial opinion about a golf course on a golf site, it would be nice to back it up with a bit of, say, “substance”?

I thought Bigwin was really good, a surprisingly strong set of par 3’s, interesting green complexes, spectacular scenery on several holes, lots of variety in the par 4’s and a fantastic finishing par 5. I suspect that their new practice facility will be first rate. I think the course is better than Oviinbyrd, my second favourite up there, but Oviinbyrd definitely has a more impressive clubhouse, atmosphere and “hang”.

I want to try the other courses that the “mediocre” critic thinks are better but haven’t got that list ... yet.
                          Bigwin is a fun experience but in the Muskoka's alone I would gladly go back to Rocky Crest, Muskoka Bay, Lake Joe, Ridge at Manitou or Grandview before Bigwin again. It just was not a stand out experience for me (except for the novelty boat ride).
                          Let's go - While we're young!

Comment

Originally posted by Bern View Post

There is lot's of great golf in Muskoka to be sure, I would pick Muskoka Bay as my favorite, I haven't had a chance to play Oviinbyrd yet but I'm looking for an invite. It's hard to call any of them mediocre. I think Al got roasted because his criticism lacked credibility. Preference is subjective and he's allowed to think it's mediocre, I would guess 90% of golfers will disagree. Bigwin now ranks in the top 20 on Score golf's 1op 100. Hate to say, your two didn't make the cut! I like Grandview but you need course knowledge on those blind tee shots. The off camber fairways can be quite penal and it's one tough walk. I played the first incarnation of The Rock, wasn't a fan. Maybe if I use up my points at the Marriott I'll sneak it in.

http://scoregolf.com/top-100-2018/

Totally hear you on my two examples, I don't think they're on any list...lol. You're absolutely right about needing course knowledge to play Grandview. Tons and tons of blind shots, even the ones you don't think are blind sometimes end up being blind if you hit it really well and lose sight of your ball as it travels down the fairway too much! I liked the Rock only because of the challenge that it offered, didn't think it was spectacular, but it is a true test of your accuracy and if lacking that, how deep your pockets are and how many balls you can fit in there! Hahaha.

Saw Rocky Crest listed by others and while it's a beautiful and challenging course, I hate it! For me, it seems that everytime I play there, it is infested with mosquitos and/or flies. There was a time I played there that I couldn't take more than 3 shots without snacking on a bug first! Really ruins the course when your focus is on...swat swat swat, swing! Run to cart and go do it again!

Sadly have never played Muskoka Bay or Taboo, heard those both are amazing!

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                            X