Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where does Tiger's win rank?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Where does Tiger's win rank?

    It's not that I'm a huge Tiger fan or anything, but not unlike a lot of others, I find that I can't seem to help but root for him. I can't remember the last time I was this excited about a sporting event. I actually believe that this could be the greatest sports story ever. Not just the greatest comeback, but greatest story overall. Curious to know what everyone else thinks?
    Bridgestone J715 10.5
    Adams Tight Lies Titanium 13.5
    Adams Super LS 17d.
    Mizuno JPX-850 forged 4-PW
    Scratch 8620 53d.
    Callaway X-forged 58d.
    Odyssey White Hot Tour #2
    Srixon Q-star tour

  • #2
    Originally posted by 73monte View Post
    It's not that I'm a huge Tiger fan or anything, but not unlike a lot of others, I find that I can't seem to help but root for him. I can't remember the last time I was this excited about a sporting event. I actually believe that this could be the greatest sports story ever. Not just the greatest comeback, but greatest story overall. Curious to know what everyone else thinks?
    It's epic. It's definitely the best comeback ever. No question about it. In terms of Tiger victories, if I was Tiger I would say this ranks 1 or 2. Tough to beat the first win or first major for many reasons but to win this after such a drought, after so many injuries, after the hardships of fame have humbled you, this is pretty damn huge. He played this round with maturity. He didn't crack after the back to back bogeys. I did. I wrote him off but it doesn't matter who wrote him off. He didn't write himself off. That incredible 70 foot putt on 9 made me think that there might be something historic on the back nine if Mr. Ice in his veins Molinari could make one mistake and he did and the rest is epic glorious history.
    Regards,

    PNND

    WITB (LH):
    Driver - Callaway Epic with a limited edition Fuji Speeder VT 6.0s Gold foil.
    3 Wood - 15 degree PXG 0341 with Accra Tour Z Lime.
    Hybrids - Callaway XR 22 and 25 degree with Fuji Speeder Blue.
    Irons - PXG 0311 (5-AW) with C-Taper Lite 110.
    Wedges - Callaway PM grind 56 and 60.
    Putter(s) - PXG mustang and a Notre Dame Fighting Irish themed custom Scotty Studio Select Newport 2 (Stainless).
    Ball - Pro V1, Srixon Z-Star, Callaway Chrome Soft

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by 73monte View Post
      It's not that I'm a huge Tiger fan or anything, but not unlike a lot of others, I find that I can't seem to help but root for him. I can't remember the last time I was this excited about a sporting event. I actually believe that this could be the greatest sports story ever. Not just the greatest comeback, but greatest story overall. Curious to know what everyone else thinks?
      Greatest comeback, probably.

      Greatest sports story ever, I would say no. You'd have to beat all the stories that have come out of the Olympics, underdog moments, greatest championship teams, etc. With that being said I don't think anyone is topping Leicester City winning the Premier League in 2016 any time soon as the greatest sports story

      Comment


      • #4
        Top 3 easily in terms of meaning/significance. I'd guess 2nd best win out of the 15 majors. I also look at this victory another way: his first 14 were by in large for himself. His 15th, I feel as though, he did it for everyone - himself, family, friends, fans and supporters, and even for the doubters and haters.
        Greatest comeback in sports...
        The only hypothetical that equal, would be if Michael Jordan came back at 40+ and lead a team to another NBA championship.

        Comment


        • #5
          Greatest ever? Hogan had a near death car crash and some were concerned he'd never walk again let along play golf. Too often the hyperbole surrounding an event is in direct proportion to how recently it occurred.
          No doubt a great comeback and good for golf but greatest comeback or story ever? I doubt it.

          Comment


          • #6
            [QUOTE=jaybee;n2952667]

            Greatest comeback, probably.

            Greatest sports story ever, I would say no. You'd have to beat all the stories that have come out of the Olympics, underdog moments, greatest championship teams, etc. With that being said I don't think anyone is topping Leicester City winning the Premier League in 2016 any time soon as the greatest sports story[/QUOTE

            Rudy is the greatest sports story ever!!! Slow Clap!!!
            Regards,

            PNND

            WITB (LH):
            Driver - Callaway Epic with a limited edition Fuji Speeder VT 6.0s Gold foil.
            3 Wood - 15 degree PXG 0341 with Accra Tour Z Lime.
            Hybrids - Callaway XR 22 and 25 degree with Fuji Speeder Blue.
            Irons - PXG 0311 (5-AW) with C-Taper Lite 110.
            Wedges - Callaway PM grind 56 and 60.
            Putter(s) - PXG mustang and a Notre Dame Fighting Irish themed custom Scotty Studio Select Newport 2 (Stainless).
            Ball - Pro V1, Srixon Z-Star, Callaway Chrome Soft

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Golden Domer View Post

              It's epic. It's definitely the best comeback ever. No question about it. In terms of Tiger victories, if I was Tiger I would say this ranks 1 or 2. Tough to beat the first win or first major for many reasons but to win this after such a drought, after so many injuries, after the hardships of fame have humbled you, this is pretty damn huge. He played this round with maturity. He didn't crack after the back to back bogeys. I did. I wrote him off but it doesn't matter who wrote him off. He didn't write himself off. That incredible 70 foot putt on 9 made me think that there might be something historic on the back nine if Mr. Ice in his veins Molinari could make one mistake and he did and the rest is epic glorious history.
              Good post. I agree totally on "best comeback" ever, but I'm sure there's going to be a lot of debating greatest sports event/story ever. A buddy of mine called me right after the win, and he felt that the Miracle on ice was still the greatest for him. Couldn't agree more on your mention of "maturity". He really kept his emotions in check. Maybe it's the chewing gum. Very sedate demeanor. Even the near hole in one at 16, he was pretty calm.
              Bridgestone J715 10.5
              Adams Tight Lies Titanium 13.5
              Adams Super LS 17d.
              Mizuno JPX-850 forged 4-PW
              Scratch 8620 53d.
              Callaway X-forged 58d.
              Odyssey White Hot Tour #2
              Srixon Q-star tour

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by 73monte View Post

                Good post. I agree totally on "best comeback" ever, but I'm sure there's going to be a lot of debating greatest sports event/story ever. A buddy of mine called me right after the win, and he felt that the Miracle on ice was still the greatest for him. Couldn't agree more on your mention of "maturity". He really kept his emotions in check. Maybe it's the chewing gum. Very sedate demeanor. Even the near hole in one at 16, he was pretty calm.
                Maybe he obtained some CPD oil from Phil that he injected in his gum! Whatever it was, he was composed and patient and it was a different and potentially a very dangerous tiger moving forward.
                Regards,

                PNND

                WITB (LH):
                Driver - Callaway Epic with a limited edition Fuji Speeder VT 6.0s Gold foil.
                3 Wood - 15 degree PXG 0341 with Accra Tour Z Lime.
                Hybrids - Callaway XR 22 and 25 degree with Fuji Speeder Blue.
                Irons - PXG 0311 (5-AW) with C-Taper Lite 110.
                Wedges - Callaway PM grind 56 and 60.
                Putter(s) - PXG mustang and a Notre Dame Fighting Irish themed custom Scotty Studio Select Newport 2 (Stainless).
                Ball - Pro V1, Srixon Z-Star, Callaway Chrome Soft

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by pudubny View Post
                  Greatest ever? Hogan had a near death car crash and some were concerned he'd never walk again let along play golf. Too often the hyperbole surrounding an event is in direct proportion to how recently it occurred.
                  No doubt a great comeback and good for golf but greatest comeback or story ever? I doubt it.
                  ^^^ THIS ^^^
                  Sometimes we all get caught up in the moment and soon forget what happened in days gone by.
                  Tiger's come back is certainly a great one, but his injuries we all talk about seem trivial in comparison to those of Ben Hogan's car crash.
                  https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/go...eir-place.html
                  Last edited by 4underthru9; Apr 15, 2019, 06:08 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    [QUOTE=Golden Domer;n2952682]
                    Originally posted by jaybee View Post

                    Greatest comeback, probably.

                    Greatest sports story ever, I would say no. You'd have to beat all the stories that have come out of the Olympics, underdog moments, greatest championship teams, etc. With that being said I don't think anyone is topping Leicester City winning the Premier League in 2016 any time soon as the greatest sports story[/QUOTE

                    Rudy is the greatest sports story ever!!! Slow Clap!!!
                    Okay I was going to say top 2 until you threw the 'Rudy' in there.......can't change channels when it's on.....okay I digress. ....
                    This Masters win ranks 'up there' for what he has gone through.
                    Though some have mentioned the Hogan injury or Olympics, which also need to be considered as great comebacks.
                    Callaway Razr X10.5*
                    Callaway Diablo 5 wood
                    Adams Super 9031 18*
                    Mizuno JPX 919 - 4-PW
                    Mizuno S5 50* GW

                    Mizuno S5 54* GW
                    Mack Daddy 56*
                    Scotty Cameron Select GoLo

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Hogan first, Tiger second by two lengths and a nose.
                      King Cobra F8+ 10.5*,Mitsubishi Grand Bassara 39 R
                      Cobra F8 3-4 wood 15.5*, VA Composites Raijin 44 S
                      Ping G400 Hybrids 19*, 22*, Alta CB R
                      Cobra F7 5-GW, R flex steel
                      Ping Glide 1.0 ES 55*, CFS Wedge Flex
                      Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth, Alta CB 70 R
                      Ping Zing 2 TR 34"
                      Tour Velvet Midsize Grips

                      "Some day the courage of men may fail, but it will not be this day!"

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        To answer the OP question of where this win ranks...

                        Probably his most satisfying win among some of his greatest wins because he accomplished this after:
                        - Personal failure
                        - 11 years between majors
                        - 14 years since last Masters
                        - Winning over a new generation of young studs

                        He has some history-making wins under his belt:

                        - His first win at the Masters
                        - His win at Pebble Beach US open by 15 shots
                        - Winning at 2008 with broken foot

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          The stories are very different. Hogan almost died and when you see the car, you understand why:

                          Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1_2590172c.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	2952765

                          It's incredible that he came back from that and was healthy enough to continue golfing, let alone win a US Open.

                          Tiger had a high profile fall from grace, a bunch of surgeries from swinging too hard, and some substance abuse problems.

                          Definite edge --> Hogan

                          What makes Tiger's story so captivating is his slow crawl back up the hill over more than a decade, all while under the magnifying glass of the media, and really the whole sporting world.

                          Edge --> Woods

                          Not sure they are comparable but they are both fascinating.
                          What's in the TMX Stand Bag?

                          10.5 SLDR w Diamana Flowerband X-flex
                          SLDR 15* 3W
                          TM Rescue 17*
                          SLDR 5H
                          TM M2 4-PW
                          CG15 52/60
                          Rossa Monza Corza

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I'm not going to specifically rank this as number 1, 2 or 3 etc., except to say it is one of the greatest sporting achievements I have seen, and one of the greatest comebacks.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by ace in the hazard View Post
                              The stories are very different. Hogan almost died and when you see the car, you understand why:

                              Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1_2590172c.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	2952765

                              It's incredible that he came back from that and was healthy enough to continue golfing, let alone win a US Open.

                              Tiger had a high profile fall from grace, a bunch of surgeries from swinging too hard, and some substance abuse problems.

                              Definite edge --> Hogan

                              What makes Tiger's story so captivating is his slow crawl back up the hill over more than a decade, all while under the magnifying glass of the media, and really the whole sporting world.

                              Edge --> Woods

                              Not sure they are comparable but they are both fascinating.
                              Hogan won 6 majors after the car crash so Tiger has a way to go on that front.

                              Hard to compare these things.

                              Comment


                              Join The TGN Email List

                              Collapse

                              Recently Joined

                              Collapse

                              Topics: 167,483   Posts: 1,754,395   Members: 46,107   Active Members: 276
                              Welcome to our newest member, Gmoneymenz.

                              Today's Birthdays

                              Collapse

                              PGA Leaderboard

                              Collapse


                              TGN Sponsors

                              Working...
                              X