Collapse

Where does Tiger's win rank?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where does Tiger's win rank?

It's not that I'm a huge Tiger fan or anything, but not unlike a lot of others, I find that I can't seem to help but root for him. I can't remember the last time I was this excited about a sporting event. I actually believe that this could be the greatest sports story ever. Not just the greatest comeback, but greatest story overall. Curious to know what everyone else thinks?
    Bridgestone J715 10.5
    Adams Tight Lies Titanium 13.5
    Adams Super LS 17d.
    Mizuno JPX-850 forged 4-PW
    Scratch 8620 53d.
    Callaway X-forged 58d.
    Odyssey White Hot Tour #2
    Srixon Q-star tour

Originally posted by 73monte View Post
    It's not that I'm a huge Tiger fan or anything, but not unlike a lot of others, I find that I can't seem to help but root for him. I can't remember the last time I was this excited about a sporting event. I actually believe that this could be the greatest sports story ever. Not just the greatest comeback, but greatest story overall. Curious to know what everyone else thinks?
    It's epic. It's definitely the best comeback ever. No question about it. In terms of Tiger victories, if I was Tiger I would say this ranks 1 or 2. Tough to beat the first win or first major for many reasons but to win this after such a drought, after so many injuries, after the hardships of fame have humbled you, this is pretty damn huge. He played this round with maturity. He didn't crack after the back to back bogeys. I did. I wrote him off but it doesn't matter who wrote him off. He didn't write himself off. That incredible 70 foot putt on 9 made me think that there might be something historic on the back nine if Mr. Ice in his veins Molinari could make one mistake and he did and the rest is epic glorious history.
    WITB (LH):
    Driver - Ping G430 Max / Motore F3
    Wood and Hybrids - TM Mini Driver 13.5 / Ping G430 3 and 5 hybrid.
    Irons - PXG Gen 5 / MMT80
    Wedges - Sugar Daddy II
    Putter - PXG Closer / Stability Pro
    Ball - Tour Response Stripe

Comment

Greatest comeback, probably.

Greatest sports story ever, I would say no. You'd have to beat all the stories that have come out of the Olympics, underdog moments, greatest championship teams, etc. With that being said I don't think anyone is topping Leicester City winning the Premier League in 2016 any time soon as the greatest sports story

Comment

Top 3 easily in terms of meaning/significance. I'd guess 2nd best win out of the 15 majors. I also look at this victory another way: his first 14 were by in large for himself. His 15th, I feel as though, he did it for everyone - himself, family, friends, fans and supporters, and even for the doubters and haters.
        Greatest comeback in sports...
        The only hypothetical that equal, would be if Michael Jordan came back at 40+ and lead a team to another NBA championship.

Comment

Greatest ever? Hogan had a near death car crash and some were concerned he'd never walk again let along play golf. Too often the hyperbole surrounding an event is in direct proportion to how recently it occurred.
          No doubt a great comeback and good for golf but greatest comeback or story ever? I doubt it.

Comment

[QUOTE=jaybee;n2952667]

Greatest sports story ever, I would say no. You'd have to beat all the stories that have come out of the Olympics, underdog moments, greatest championship teams, etc. With that being said I don't think anyone is topping Leicester City winning the Premier League in 2016 any time soon as the greatest sports story[/QUOTE

Rudy is the greatest sports story ever!!! Slow Clap!!!
            WITB (LH):
            Wedges - Sugar Daddy II

Comment

Originally posted by Golden Domer View Post

It's epic. It's definitely the best comeback ever. No question about it. In terms of Tiger victories, if I was Tiger I would say this ranks 1 or 2. Tough to beat the first win or first major for many reasons but to win this after such a drought, after so many injuries, after the hardships of fame have humbled you, this is pretty damn huge. He played this round with maturity. He didn't crack after the back to back bogeys. I did. I wrote him off but it doesn't matter who wrote him off. He didn't write himself off. That incredible 70 foot putt on 9 made me think that there might be something historic on the back nine if Mr. Ice in his veins Molinari could make one mistake and he did and the rest is epic glorious history.
              Good post. I agree totally on "best comeback" ever, but I'm sure there's going to be a lot of debating greatest sports event/story ever. A buddy of mine called me right after the win, and he felt that the Miracle on ice was still the greatest for him. Couldn't agree more on your mention of "maturity". He really kept his emotions in check. Maybe it's the chewing gum. Very sedate demeanor. Even the near hole in one at 16, he was pretty calm.
              Bridgestone J715 10.5
              Adams Tight Lies Titanium 13.5
              Adams Super LS 17d.
              Mizuno JPX-850 forged 4-PW
              Scratch 8620 53d.
              Callaway X-forged 58d.
              Odyssey White Hot Tour #2
              Srixon Q-star tour

Comment

Good post. I agree totally on "best comeback" ever, but I'm sure there's going to be a lot of debating greatest sports event/story ever. A buddy of mine called me right after the win, and he felt that the Miracle on ice was still the greatest for him. Couldn't agree more on your mention of "maturity". He really kept his emotions in check. Maybe it's the chewing gum. Very sedate demeanor. Even the near hole in one at 16, he was pretty calm.
                Maybe he obtained some CPD oil from Phil that he injected in his gum! Whatever it was, he was composed and patient and it was a different and potentially a very dangerous tiger moving forward.
                WITB (LH):
                Wedges - Sugar Daddy II

Comment

Originally posted by pudubny View Post
                  Greatest ever? Hogan had a near death car crash and some were concerned he'd never walk again let along play golf. Too often the hyperbole surrounding an event is in direct proportion to how recently it occurred.
                  No doubt a great comeback and good for golf but greatest comeback or story ever? I doubt it.
                  ^^^ THIS ^^^
                  Sometimes we all get caught up in the moment and soon forget what happened in days gone by.
                  Tiger's come back is certainly a great one, but his injuries we all talk about seem trivial in comparison to those of Ben Hogan's car crash.
                  https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/go...eir-place.html
                  Last edited by 4underthru9; Apr 15, 2019, 06:08 AM.
                  Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

[QUOTE=Golden Domer;n2952682]
                    Originally posted by jaybee View Post

Greatest sports story ever, I would say no. You'd have to beat all the stories that have come out of the Olympics, underdog moments, greatest championship teams, etc. With that being said I don't think anyone is topping Leicester City winning the Premier League in 2016 any time soon as the greatest sports story[/QUOTE

Rudy is the greatest sports story ever!!! Slow Clap!!!
                    Okay I was going to say top 2 until you threw the 'Rudy' in there.......can't change channels when it's on.....okay I digress. ....
                    This Masters win ranks 'up there' for what he has gone through.
                    Though some have mentioned the Hogan injury or Olympics, which also need to be considered as great comebacks.
                    Ping G410 10.5*
                    Taylormade M6 3W
                    Callaway Diablo Edge 5W
                    TaylorMade P790 4 - PW
                    Ping Glide Stealth 50*
                    Ping Glide Stealth 54*
                    Cleveland 588 RTX LW 58*
                    Scotty Cameron Select GoLo

Comment

Hogan first, Tiger second by two lengths and a nose.
                      In the Hamilton Golf + CC Embroidered Ping Hoofer

Club Champion Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 A Flex​​
                      Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, KuroKage 606 S
                      TXG Custom T. Made SIM Max 21* 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2
                      TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R

TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-Pw, 1* up, Recoil ESX 460 R
                      PXG 0211 GW, 50*, UST Recoil Dart R
                      TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115

Ping Glide 4.0, 58* TS/6, Nippon 115 S
                      Tour Velvet Midsize Grips, Custom TXG Signature Putter Grip
                      TXG Custom King Cobra Nova, 25 gram weights, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Comment

To answer the OP question of where this win ranks...

Probably his most satisfying win among some of his greatest wins because he accomplished this after:
                        - Personal failure
                        - 11 years between majors
                        - 14 years since last Masters
                        - Winning over a new generation of young studs

He has some history-making wins under his belt:

- His first win at the Masters
                        - His win at Pebble Beach US open by 15 shots
                        - Winning at 2008 with broken foot

Comment

The stories are very different. Hogan almost died and when you see the car, you understand why:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1_2590172c.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	2952765

It's incredible that he came back from that and was healthy enough to continue golfing, let alone win a US Open.

Tiger had a high profile fall from grace, a bunch of surgeries from swinging too hard, and some substance abuse problems.

Definite edge --> Hogan

What makes Tiger's story so captivating is his slow crawl back up the hill over more than a decade, all while under the magnifying glass of the media, and really the whole sporting world.

Edge --> Woods

Not sure they are comparable but they are both fascinating.
                          What's in the Sunmountain 4.5?

10.5 M2 with Speeder 77 Stiff 3 wood shaft
                          TM Rescue 17*
                          TM M2 4-AW
                          TM RAC 52/56 CG15 60
                          Odyssey 2 Ball with Superstroke Fatso

Comment

I'm not going to specifically rank this as number 1, 2 or 3 etc., except to say it is one of the greatest sporting achievements I have seen, and one of the greatest comebacks.

Comment

Originally posted by ace in the hazard View Post
                              The stories are very different. Hogan almost died and when you see the car, you understand why:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1_2590172c.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	2952765

It's incredible that he came back from that and was healthy enough to continue golfing, let alone win a US Open.

Tiger had a high profile fall from grace, a bunch of surgeries from swinging too hard, and some substance abuse problems.

Definite edge --> Hogan

What makes Tiger's story so captivating is his slow crawl back up the hill over more than a decade, all while under the magnifying glass of the media, and really the whole sporting world.

Edge --> Woods

Not sure they are comparable but they are both fascinating.
                              Hogan won 6 majors after the car crash so Tiger has a way to go on that front.

Hard to compare these things.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X