/**/

Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Notice a significant difference of pace of play with flags left in the hole?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notice a significant difference of pace of play with flags left in the hole?

It took a while to get used to the new rule this year, but the last few rounds I have noticed a decent pick up in pace of play with leaving the pin in the hole. Sunday we teed off around d 9AM, so there was 2 hours of groups ahead of us. Normally, the first hour of groups are quick. The first few foursomes can normally be done in 3.5 hours or less. I have played with them and it is a very comfortable pace. By the time one is a hour or two in, the pace is usually around 4 hours. The last few rounds I have played with pretty full tee sheets, we have been consistently 3:50, 10 minutes faster than previously. And we are waiting on a lot of tee boxes. So that is pretty impressive IMO.

what have you folks noticed? Any difference?
    Ping G430 9*, Ping Tour Chrome 65g Reg flex
    Ping G430 Max 3w and 5w, 75g Ping Tour Chrome Reg flex
    Ping G430 Max 22* Hybrid 85g Ping tour Max Reg flex
    TM P790 irons, 5-AW, DG R300U 105gm
    Ping Glide 54/12 and 58/08 wedges
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 33”​

I love it.
    Read, set and putt. Much faster pace.
    However, my buddy hates it.
    He says he feels rushed to putt and it messes his game.

AIR HYBRID II on CG 3.5
    Epic 9.5° Fujikura Pro Green 62 S
    917 F2 15° Even Flow Blue 75 S
    Stealth 3H 19° Ventus Red 7 S

P770 4-P Dynamic Gold 105 VSS S
    MG2 50.09 | 54.11 | 58.08 Dynamic Gold S200
    ER1 Blade
    TP5x

Comment

Haven't noticed as I'm still taking it out on almost all putts. The only time I leave it in is on quick downhill ones where I'm worried about rolling way past.
      We may not be good but at least we'll be slow - PB

TM RBZ Tour 10.5 set to 9 deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 70s
      Adams IDEA Super Hybrid XTD 17 deg stiff
      Nike Machspeed 3H 21 deg stiff
      Wilson FG Tour V4 - 4i-GW - DG Pro S300 - TLT build
      Cleveland/TM wedges - 53 / 56 / 60 - all one length
      Cleveland BRZ Classic 1 putter
      Srixon Star XV
      Ogio Grom bag

Comment

What a crappy spring.

I've played exactly 1 (one) round.

Opening day at Bigwin, pretty empty course. Took a couple of holes to get used to it, but I liked it.

I would guess that it saved maybe 15-30 seconds per hole, so maybe 5-10 minutes for 18?
        "Confusion" will be my epitaph
        ...Iggy

Comment

I've played a few rounds solo, and noticed on long putts I would leave it in, so that saved some time. However on shorter putts I take it out.

Comment

No i havent. The opposite in fact. Some in geoup want it in some want it out. And an added negative is cup lips are demolished by noon. People have a hard time getting their hand around the flag to their ball. We ve staryed painting cups yo try and stabilize the lips.

Comment

I have not noticed any change in pace of play either while playing granted I usually am playing very quickly (2 hrs for 18) after work
              but also when playing in a normal group or when monitoring POP.
              From what I see its about 65/35 split flag in/flagout.
              I do think once the season gets going more we should see a bit of an improvement....hopefully
              "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by AdiosAmigo View Post
                And an added negative is cup lips are demolished by noon. People have a hard time getting their hand around the flag to their ball.
                This for sure. Cambridge had a couple of lips torn up, causing a beveled effect. Helped at least one or two putts go in that otherwise would’ve lipped out.

Funny, this is the first I heard of that negative effect of leaving the pin in place. But yep, getting the ball(s) out of the hole is indeed a problem for big hands and sausage fingers.

Well that, and I can’t read the putt too well with the stick in the way.
                – Greg

Comment

Played today and we took it out twice. Like not having to take it out and it seems to speed things up
                  MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

I think play is faster too.

One thing I've noticed is that I can gauge the slope around the hole a bit better with the flag in. I can often see that the flag stick and the hole aren't 90 degrees to each other.

Comment

I vowed among my main group to keep the flag in all season, but I don't demand it.

Good point though on 'cups getting beat up'....now that I think of it, I have seen a bit of that -- but maybe it wasn't something I thought about that much (of course I always fix a damaged cup by patting around the inside edge with my ball)
                      Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

I've actually noticed that its slower. I play as a single most of the time getting paired with strangers. Always have to ask on the first green what people do. I personally still take it out for everything within 30 feet or so. I had one gentlemen go on a Bryson still scientific rant about leaving it in. He was the only one in the group who wanted it in.

I think it was in the May issue of golf digest that the science says take it out still.

Just because the rule changed people take it out? It seems strange to me. Given the option, you would think most people who have been playing for years who still take it out.

Comment

The pace of play of some of the people I play with might be affected by the pin being left in or taken out only if they were threatened to be beaten with it. Even then????

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

I have seen a better pace , this week with all the wind we have been pulling it out for our last putts.

Comment

Best thing to happen to golf in a while IMO. Definitely speeds up play, I haven't had a round over 4 hours all year and this is at public courses.
                              10 degree Cobra Fly-Z+ / Matrix White Tie 55X4
                              16 degree Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 / Fujikura Speeder 865
                              20 degree Ping Rapture V2 Hybrid / MR JavlinFX
                              4-AW Nike Vapor Pro Combo / DG Pro

54, 58 degree Ping Glide / CFS
                              Ping Anser Redwood

Srixon ZStar XV

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays