Collapse

Canadian Open Standard Bearer Review

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Open Standard Bearer Review

Hey Guys! I just thought I would give you a brief review of my experience! First of this was my first time as a volunteer. I may or may not get this chance again as I have 2 young boys and a very accommodating wife
    who gave me the opportunity to take 5 days away from the family to give this a go.

WED AM Pro am-First shift, I get paired with Scott Piercy-maybe was a great way to start. Pretty quiet guy, not much more to say than that lol Paired with 4 very nice Amateurs, was able to get some conversation in with them. Finished 9 and moved on waiting for the next pro to come out, Ben Crane. Ben and his Caddy Joel were so nice, really talkative with the Ams. I got to chat with Ben for a bit when he mentioned he was from Nashville as my wife and I just booked a trip there. What I found interesting about this first day is that being able to walk inside the ropes makes you feel like your in even though your not lol. I was able to take snacks, water, see everything up close, walk places spectators can't go. Then it poured and when everyone around is pulling out umbrellas, and being the first to get whisked away in courtesy cars-the feeling of being in, nope I am on the outs getting soaked holding a sign lol

So I knew at the time I had a afternoon Friday Pairing-12:50 pm. Then they released the pairings-DJ, Correy Conners and Jim Furyk..are you kidding me. I better not F this up lol What a treat to watch these 3 play. Dustin had a good day going, Jim was solid and Corey was fighting the cut line all day. You could kind of feel the pressure mounting on him. A few missed putts here and there. Unfortunately he didn't make the cut. What's really cool is hanging out at the scorer's building after the round. They come out, thank you , talk with you and give you a signed ball. Corey was pretty bummed and you could see it in his eyes. Oh by the way, we did notice Paulina walking the fairways on a few holes It's amazing how her and a friend just blending in with the crowd. (I thinking maybe the friend could have been DJ'S brothers wife) but not sure.

So as we do no not know what's happening for Friday. The team chair is waiting for tee times to assign to us, all I knew was I was on the list to work. 11:30 pm we get an email, I have 1:10 pm. So I go to look at the pairings, Rory and Sepp Straka. Holy *** Am I in a dream?? I feel pretty fortunate to have been so lucky. So where the other days, the golfers would introduce themselves on the tee box. Sepp did but not Rory. I think I get it..Rory comes to the tee with thousands screaming, he was in such a competitive focused frame of mind, no distractions, fans cheering from tee to green for him every hole. What could top watching DJ..watching Rory from feet away go on to shoot a 64 on moving day. The coolest though again was once he came out of the scoring tent. I was like kind of in awe that Rory is approaching me lol, but almost as if suddenly he was just a different person. No more crowds , small setting just us, comes out shake my hand, thank me, I got a great pic with him, had him sign a ball with 64 on it. He was out of his competitive mode and just so relaxed. BTW Sepp is super nice guy, seems like he has a lot of talent. But trouble on the greens, kind of like Corey the day before. I asked him what he thought about the crowd noise. He loved it and embraced, the only time he got messed up was when one person yelled some comment during his Backswing. He qualifed for the open this week so I will be watching for his name with interest.

Final day, ended up with Ben crane again and Sepp of all things. Sort of ended where it all started.

Just an amazing experience that I will never forget in my life .I could not have asked for a better week. If anyone has wanted to give it a go and maybe not volunteered. Please try it once in your life.

Hey Carl,

Awesome report - I went Sunday and started thinking about volunteering next time around. Curious, do you have to track the players scores and update your sign? I'd be worried about dorking it up and missing a shot ;-)

P

Comment

What nice read, thanks for posting this. And pretty sure the 5 days was better than going to Nashville. Just don't tell your wife.

Originally posted by Carl View Post
      Then it poured and.. I am on the outs getting soaked holding a sign
      Worth it.
      – Greg

Comment

Originally posted by petvan View Post
        Hey Carl,

Awesome report - I went Sunday and started thinking about volunteering next time around. Curious, do you have to track the players scores and update your sign? I'd be worried about dorking it up and missing a shot ;-)

P
        You know I was worried about it first but you do have a walking scorer with you who will verify the score with you after every hole. Every one has a different method but what I did was separated even to 3 numbers (put in one pouch) 4-6 in the middle pouch and 7-8 in the 3rd pouch. Someone asked why we had no 9's, great question just flip 6 upside down! But there was really no trouble counting. I would then change the scores after each golfer putted out-I prepped myself in advance that if a there was a chance for birdie , bogey that I had the number already in my hand ready to go. .

Comment

Originally posted by synergy View Post
          What nice read, thanks for posting this. And pretty sure the 5 days was better than going to Nashville. Just don't tell your wife.

Worth it.
          Yes so worth it. Haven't gone to Nashville yet (October) but Ben Crane was giving me the top spots to eat lol

Comment

I still say Standard Bearer is the best volunteer experience. I've done 3 or 4 times now and will be doing it again for the LPGA at Magna in August.

Comment

Originally posted by Feherty Fan View Post
              I still say Standard Bearer is the best volunteer experience. I've done 3 or 4 times now and will be doing it again for the LPGA at Magna in August.
              Lot's of different volunteer opportunities out there. Hamilton was a very up and down course, I loved and embraced the walk, anything that gets you right in the action.

Comment

Do you know how they assign the groups ?

"Draw from a hat" ?

Experienced / previous score bearer priority ?

Comment

Originally posted by mstram View Post
                  Do you know how they assign the groups ?

"Draw from a hat" ?

Experienced / previous score bearer priority ?
                  I have no idea how they decide. This was my first year. At one point they talked to me about working Sunday saying they were happy with how I was doing. Maybe someone was watching ...but I think overall they were happy with everyone. My thinking is luck of the draw..maybe someone who has done it more can chime in.

actually I think availability factors in. The more days you put in the more you work. I guess some might have had just availability for sat Sunday pm. I made my self available wed to Sunday anytime.
                  Last edited by Carl; Jun 11, 2019, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Sounds like you had a great experience. I enjoyed your post. Good for you!

Comment

Good story. Next time try walking scorer. I did it for a few years on the Canadian Tour. Shotlink is pretty cool but like everything electronic, they shut down. I know what you mean about that panicked feeling of making a mistake. I had a threesome where all 3 hit Provisionals after the very high winds blew their tee balls towards the OB which was lined with huge cedars and firs. One of the threesome then hit another Provisional when the Marshal signalled "not found". I looked down at the Shot Link and there was no button for Provisional # 2. I wound up asking their caddies what they shot. I think it was 8, 6 and par or something like that. I wound up having to radio the scores into the score centre.

I did do a standard bearer stint for the Canadian Juniors years ago, at Bear Mountain which is not a walking course. I had a heavy metal standard pole. It was a killer on the lower back. Cured me of wanting to do that job. Good on ya for volunteering.

I didn't volunteer for the Canadian Tour stop this year in Victoria as I have an aircast on my foot. Stress fracture caused by excessive golf and pickleball. Sucks being old. Naw it doesn't. I'm having a hoot!

Comment

Good for you. Thanks for sharing.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

First rule of being a Standard Bearer is to not talk about being a Standard Bearer.
                          10 degree Cobra Fly-Z+ / Matrix White Tie 55X4
                          16 degree Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 / Fujikura Speeder 865
                          20 degree Ping Rapture V2 Hybrid / MR JavlinFX
                          4-AW Nike Vapor Pro Combo / DG Pro

54, 58 degree Ping Glide / CFS
                          Ping Anser Redwood

Srixon ZStar XV

Comment

Originally posted by Section ThirtyOne View Post
                            First rule of being a Standard Bearer is to not talk about being a Standard Bearer.
                            What does this even mean?
                            Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Originally posted by Section ThirtyOne View Post
                              Must be a Local Rule up there in Collingwood, actually I think it's OB.
                              But at least you have the Elvis Festival coming soon maybe cheer you up a bit.
                              Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X