No announcement yet.
Collapse

Am I doing myself a disservice in not using my driver

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m also of the opinion that if the driver gives you trouble then you are better off leaving it in the bag, especially if a lower score is the goal. I shot under par for the first time using 3 wood and 3 iron off the tee. Sure it’s nice to have a driver you can put in the fairway, but if you don’t there are lots of other options.
    TM M2 D-type 9.5 Accra CS1 70
    TM Jetspeed tour 19* Accra CS1 80
    TM M2 tour 4-9 Accra ICWT 95
    Callaway X-Forged 48, 52, 58, 64 Pro Modus3 105
    Nike method MC3i

Osprey Valley Century Club
    100 holes - May 2, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Pingnut View Post
      I’m also of the opinion that if the driver gives you trouble then you are better off leaving it in the bag, especially if a lower score is the goal. I shot under par for the first time using 3 wood and 3 iron off the tee. Sure it’s nice to have a driver you can put in the fairway, but if you don’t there are lots of other options.
      Not if you don't hit it long enough to reach par 4's. Again the majority of people I know need to hit their driver to be in sniffing distance of the green on their second shot. I play the right tees (members at our club, which is a hybrid set-up). To be inside 150 feasible for me on only 4 par 4's.

On par 5's, how often does a pro not take driver?

I'd say pros use their drivers at least 8X's a round in a regular tour event, which seems the minimum most should (based on 10 Par 4's & 4 Par 5's).

Comment

Sure, but we aren't pro's and we are talking about people who's driver gives them more trouble than good.
        Nike method MC3i

100 holes - May 2, 2016

Comment

Sure, but we aren't pro's and we are talking about people who's driver gives them more trouble than good.
          Oh and I'll add, if you need to hit driver to be within sniffing distance of a green - definitely not playing the right tees..
          Nike method MC3i

100 holes - May 2, 2016

Comment

Oh and I'll add, if you need to hit driver to be within sniffing distance of a green - definitely not playing the right tees..
            I think 6300 yards is a reasonable # to play from.

I do admit I raise an eyebrow how I will look at the Birdies thread and see them on 430 yard par 5's......

Comment

I would agree. A golfer should play tees that allows them to hit a mid to short into the majority of par 4's and 5's. I'm not a long hitter by any measure , small man and am approaching 60, but unless a hole is over 430 I don't need to use a driver to get home and if its under 400, quite often will use a fairway wood or long iron or hybrid off the tee.
              Last edited by Weirfan; Jul 22, 2019, 08:30 AM.
              "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by Fore Warned View Post

Sometimes the weapon blows up on you.

LoL
                nice.
                And it has...but so has my 'safe' iron off the tee at times.
                Once u develop a weapon where it only blows up on occasion, u game it when reward outweighs risk.

Comment

I have had stretches where my driver is garbage (operator at fault) and I've simply put it away for awhile. Sometimes it gets me into a lot of unnecessary trouble. I enjoy putting it away and teeing off with an iron, keeping the ball in play is underrated. Doing this will often give me more putts for par and keep the high numbers off the card.

You obviously lose some distance but for me when my driver isn't going well it's a disservice to use it. I lose a lot less balls as well when the driver is suspended.

Comment

Well, gamed my new...very used, Cobra SZ 10.5* offset driver today at Remington Parkview Upper course. This, after 3 range sessions to break it (me) in.

It should be noted, however, that Remington Upper is a highly forgiving course from the tee.

This is an absolute game changer. I actually have confidence in where the ball will go. I lost only one ball in 14 shots with it (punched left into the woods), hit 6 fairways, 4 playable off fairway shots and needed to recover from 1 fairway bunker and 3 restricted lies behind trees.

The lost ball was on a hole where I should have left the driver in the bag - just a tight landing area with hazards. The other miss-hits were the result of over confidence and trying to go too hard for distance.

My partners were wondering what was going on...especially with the great down the middle shots and my typical wild slice into adjacent fairways being tempered to a troublesome draw.

I was playing in parts of the course that were foreign to me. Unfortunately the fairway game let me down that day.

But, If I am more selective about when I pull out the driver and don't try and go for broke when I do, I feel like I am going to be playing a different game. This club works for me. It's the first driver for which I can say that.

However, it's not foolproof, and so less of a weapon, than a tool to be brought out and used judiciously.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

Well, gamed my new...very used, Cobra SZ 10.5* offset driver today at Remington Parkview Upper course. This, after 3 range sessions to break it (me) in.

It should be noted, however, that Remington Upper is a highly forgiving course from the tee.

This is an absolute game changer. I actually have confidence in where the ball will go. I lost only one ball in 14 shots with it (punched left into the woods), hit 6 fairways, 4 playable off fairway shots and needed to recover from 1 fairway bunker and 3 restricted lies behind trees.

The lost ball was on a hole where I should have left the driver in the bag - just a tight landing area with hazards. The other miss-hits were the result of over confidence and trying to go too hard for distance.

My partners were wondering what was going on...especially with the great down the middle shots and my typical wild slice into adjacent fairways being tempered to a troublesome draw.

I was playing in parts of the course that were foreign to me. Unfortunately the fairway game let me down that day.

But, If I am more selective about when I pull out the driver and don't try and go for broke when I do, I feel like I am going to be playing a different game. This club works for me. It's the first driver for which I can say that.

However, it's not foolproof, and so less of a weapon, than a tool to be brought out and used judiciously.

Congrats, I used to build many offset drivers for those with a slice and they work incredibly well for slice correction.....infinitely better than weight movement which does very little
                      "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Ideally yes. But, whatever gets it in the fairway is what counts. My driver is hit and hope for me most times and I have to rely on my short game which is good to save me. Approaching 64 this October and I was never a long hitter, let alone now. I went for one of "many fittings" with Ian from TXG and he set my Big Bertha to 13.5* to get it going and it really helps. Go for a fitting, it will help. Hope to hear things will be better for you!

Comment

Interesting. A fellow TGNer pointed me to a download that quite clearly gave stats suggesting 3 wood no more accurate than a driver and 30 yards shorter. In my case if I could hit a 3 wood I probably would. Our course is tight. I spray it more than a driver so it's not even in my bag.

Re the offset, I have a 25 degree Callaway X hot hybrid with offset that I aim left to allow for my fade. But it goes quite straight. I like my R11s driver but am very inconsistent with it as well. You may have me thinking about offset when out there looking at used drivers.

Comment

The advice on an offset driver came from Tintin…. Post #14. His recommendation was specific to the Cobra SZ, 10.5*, which he says is preferred over the more recent offset cobra.

I too tried a 3W as well, but could not hit it any better than my driver. It's no longer in the bag.

Someone suggested a 4W, so I purchased one and that works wonderfully. I was using that instead of my driver, but it does not get the distance. It is the alternative off the tee when the landing areas are tight, and I am also not adverse to using a 5 Hybrid.

My biggest priorities off the tee is keeping the ball in play and avoiding having to play a recovery shot. If I feel good about my driver doing that...I will use it...if not something shorter will do.

Originally posted by nomullies View Post

Interesting. A fellow TGNer pointed me to a download that quite clearly gave stats suggesting 3 wood no more accurate than a driver and 30 yards shorter. In my case if I could hit a 3 wood I probably would. Our course is tight. I spray it more than a driver so it's not even in my bag.

Re the offset, I have a 25 degree Callaway X hot hybrid with offset that I aim left to allow for my fade. But it goes quite straight. I like my R11s driver but am very inconsistent with it as well. You may have me thinking about offset when out there looking at used drivers.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

The advice on an offset driver came from Tintin…. Post #14. His recommendation was specific to the Cobra SZ, 10.5*, which he says is preferred over the more recent offset cobra.

I too tried a 3W as well, but could not hit it any better than my driver. It's no longer in the bag.

Someone suggested a 4W, so I purchased one and that works wonderfully. I was using that instead of my driver, but it does not get the distance. It is the alternative off the tee when the landing areas are tight, and I am also not adverse to using a 5 Hybrid.

My biggest priorities off the tee is keeping the ball in play and avoiding having to play a recovery shot. If I feel good about my driver doing that...I will use it...if not something shorter will do.

Just wondering how the Cobra SZ experiment has worked for you?

Comment

Originally posted by nomullies View Post

Just wondering how the Cobra SZ experiment has worked for you?
                                Well, thanks for asking. It's in the bag. I am using it and getting good results, but I am trying to use it judiciously.

On narrow fairways, it stays in the bag. I take out a 4w or even a 5 hybrid instead, just to avoid possible disaster.

It works best for me in those situations where there is room for mistakes. However, I have to be careful to avoid overpowering. Trying to put too much into a swing will put me out right and needing a rescue 2nd shot., or worse.

An easy rhythmical swing produces great results - Up to 215, and 225 yards, and down the middle - but that requires discipline to keep the adrenalin or ego, from kicking in.

Whenever I use it, I still continue to aim left, thinking I will gravitate far right. Unfortunately, I have blown a number of holes when the ball went brilliantly straight, but OB left - just as I aimed it. Using the club still remains a bit of a balancing act.

Some dog leg right holes holes I play afford an opportunity to let it rip. Straight or strong fade will work.

All in all, I am getting some great drives, losing fewer balls off the tee with this club and getting more clear look second shots.

My other drivers will continue to gather dust.

Best $39.00 US I have ever spent!

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X