Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally Broke 90

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Benz View Post

Now that you've reached this milestone, you have to set your sights "lower".

Many players believe that the key to scoring well is to make a lot of birdies. It isn't. The real key is to avoid doubles and triples and worse. You absolutely must keep your ball in play at all times, and absolutely avoid going for "glory" shots. You have to take the attitude that a safe tap-in bogey is a better option than attempting a risky birdie that could turn into a triple. Let the pars and the occasional birdie come to you, and avoid the 'explosion' holes.
    "Fairways and greens". Right Sims.
    And that is my problem, one 'blow up' hole each round.

So congratulations to the OP.

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post

Now that you've reached this milestone, you have to set your sights "lower".

Many players believe that the key to scoring well is to make a lot of birdies. It isn't. The real key is to avoid doubles and triples and worse. You absolutely must keep your ball in play at all times, and absolutely avoid going for "glory" shots. You have to take the attitude that a safe tap-in bogey is a better option than attempting a risky birdie that could turn into a triple. Let the pars and the occasional birdie come to you, and avoid the 'explosion' holes.
      Great advice, thank you!
      In the Sun Mountain Four5 Bag:
      Driver - Callaway Razr Fit (9.5*)
      Wood - Callaway Razr Fit 3/15*
      Hybrid(s) - Adams A12 OS 2/17* and 3/19*
      Irons - Callaway Razr X (4 to AW)
      Putter - Odyssey White Ice Rossie Putter
      Summer Balls - Bridgestone E6
      Winter Balls - Wilson Fifty Elite

Comment

Well done. You keep knocking on the door, one day it opens.
        Member of 2012, 2013, 2015 TGN Ryder Cup Team
        Member of 2014 OG Ryder Cup Team

Comment

Having broken the ceiling it will happen more often in future - well done

Comment

Congrats! I've only been able to do that twice. I find it very hard.

Comment

Sweet .

Comment

Congratulations! Was there a shot that gave you a good feeling that it might be the round to do it?
                It's not the wand. It's the wizard.

Comment

Originally posted by drodilllas View Post
                  Shot a 86 yesterday at Burnaby Mountain Golf Course yesterday to finally break 90 for the first time ever. Tee shots on 17 and 18 were nerve racking but what a huge relief to finally get over the hurdle and to feel my golf lessons are finally starting to pay off from Golftec. Can't wait to see what the rest of the summer has to bring for my golf game, with such a high at the moment.
                  Congrats my friend that is a very tough feat, which is very rewarding. Now that you have done it you know you can do it again.

If I can offer 1 little piece of advice.....remember you did it but do not always expect to do it or try and force every round, let it come back to you naturally and just enjoy the fact you are out golfing vs. working
                  In the Bag

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha
                  Fairway Wood: Callaway X2 Hot
                  Hybrid:Callaway X2 Hot Pro 18* and X2 Hot 22*
                  Irons: Mizuno JPX-850 Forged
                  Wedges: Mizuno S5 49*/54*/57* bent to 59*
                  Putter:Bobby Grace Smart Fit F18
                  Ball: Mostly whatever I find after losing mine in the woods. Otherwise B330 or Z-Star XV
                  --------
                  Home Course - DiamondBack

Comment

Good for you.

At this level and until breaking 80 consistently I always say play 18 distinct holes, then groups of three, then three sixes (1-6, 6-12, 13-18) and two nines.

Remember it is just a game.

Seems you were too aware of your score and that can cause problems.

The other day I started a little better then usual, then had a real hot streak 6-9 (with a birdie and 3 pars). On 10 after making good putts on 8 & 9, I had another 7' par putt, but was too aware of it and missed it. On 12 a not tough chip semi-duffed and missed the putt. Calmed down on 14-18, not thinking about score at all.

On 18 had a 70 yard blind chip and was all over the flag. Since blind could be anywhere from 2'-25'..... Lo & behold it is 3" past the hole.

Point was I stopped thinking about the score and things were better.

Comment

Originally posted by golfingtime View Post
                      Good for you.
                      Seems you were too aware of your score and that can cause problems.
                      I have also tried to follow this advice, but when a high capper is putting up a handful of pars in with his bogies, we sort of already know the score without doing the math.

But yeah, after a couple of hot holes, itís time to settle down and focus on the next shot. And I think thatís the point of not looking at the score.
                      Ė Greg

Comment

Awesome! So much better than an 89 too! My first time breaking 80 was of course an 89 but I didn't know until it was over. Nice shooting!
                        Ping K15- 10.5 Driver
                        Taylormade R11 15 Deg
                        Titleist 910F- 21 Deg
                        Callaway Razr- 24 Deg
                        Titleist 913H- 27 Deg
                        Callaway Diablo Edge Irons- 7-Gap
                        Taylormade RBZ- 55 Deg Wedge
                        Titleist Vokey- 60 Deg Wedge
                        Ping Scottsdale Putter
                        Sun Mountain Bag
                        Home Course: Pine Knot London

Comment

Congrats! Awesome feat!
                          Callaway Epic SZ, Evenflow 65gm Reg, 45"
                          Callaway Rogue 13*, Evenflow 75 gm reg flex
                          Callaway Rogue 15*, Evenflow 75 gm, reg flex
                          Callaway Rogue 21* Hybrid, Aldila Rogue Black 85 gm
                          TM P790 irons, 5-AW, DG R300U 105gm
                          Titleist Vokey 52*/8 and 58*/8 SM6 wedges
                          Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 33”

Comment

Originally posted by drodilllas View Post
                            Shot a 86 yesterday at Burnaby Mountain Golf Course yesterday to finally break 90 for the first time ever. Tee shots on 17 and 18 were nerve racking but what a huge relief to finally get over the hurdle and to feel my golf lessons are finally starting to pay off from Golftec. Can't wait to see what the rest of the summer has to bring for my golf game, with such a high at the moment.
                            Congratulations! How long did you take lessons at GolfTec?

Comment

Well freakin done. I haven't broken it all year. Tuesday lost 5 balls - normal - and shot a 9 on #16 to shoot 94. Ground hog day. And today a 91. Only lost 3 balls on the front.
                              Last edited by nomullies; Aug 15, 2019, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 171,103   Posts: 1,787,912   Members: 46,720   Active Members: 362
                              Welcome to our newest member, burly89.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                              X