Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone experience that best round of the year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mpare View Post
    I don't know if today's round will be my best for the year, but lady luck (and a lot of scrambling (25 putts, with 11 one putt greens)) certainly helped me post my best score of the year. Playing from the whites at Wyldewood, I managed to score a (36-35) 71, one off my age, with two penalty strokes. I haven't been playing particularly well this year, so this result was unanticipated. The way in which I got there reflects the magic.

Hole #1 Par 4. Pushed drive right in the rough, 165 yards from the pin. Faded 6 iron to the green and two putts for a par 4
    Hole #2 Par 4. Drive up the right side in the rough, 148 yards from the pin. Faded 7 iron 5 feet from the pin. Two putts for a par 4.
    Hole #3 Par 4. Nice, long draw on the right side of the fairway, 138 from the pin. Eight iron punch 16 feet from the pin. One putt for a birdie 3.
    Hole #4 Par 3. Horribly skied 5 iron to a pin 174 yards away found water short of the green. Drop in the rough 47 yards from the pin; hit a 58 degree wedge 6 inches from the cup. One putt for a great bogey 4.
    Hole #5 Par 4. Nice drive down the left side of the fairway, 168 yards from back pin. Pushed a 6 iron to right fringe, some 30 feet from cup. Two putts for a par 4, the second putt was a beauty from 12 feet. Misread the first putt.
    Hole #6 Par 4. Long push fade into the trees and into a lateral or whatever it's now called. Drop, punch a 3 wood under the branches to a spot some 56 yards from a front pin. 58 degree wedge to 15 inches from the hole for a great bogey 5.
    Hole #7 Par 4. Nice 3 wood fade some 152 yards from the cup. A 7 iron punch surprisingly stick to the front edge of the green some 35 feet away. Two putts for a par 4.
    Hole #8. Par 5. Punch 4 hybrid, followed by a faded 3 wood some 135 yards from the pin. A lovely 9 knockdown runs over the green some 40 feet from the cup. A chip to 2 feet, followed by an easy one putt for a par 5.
    Hole #9. Par 3. A thin 5 iron to a pin some 168 yards away, settles just off the back right corner of the green in thick rough. The downhill chip flops ever so softly on the green, and trickles less than 2 feet from the cup. One putt for a par 3.
    Hole #10. Par 4. Pushed a drive right into trees and rough. Punched a low 5 iron under the branches 62 yards from the cup. Another magic 58 degree wedge puts the ball less than 3 feet from the cup. One putt for a par 4.
    Hole #11. Par 3. A nice 5 iron to a 174 pin stops some 10 feet from the cup. One putt and I have a birdie 3.
    Hole #12. Par 5. A pushed, punch 4 hybrid settles in a sand trap right. A fat 4 hybrid leaves me 225 yards over water to the green. A punch 6 iron leaves me 79 yards from the cup on scruffy hard pan. My U wedge bounces into the ball, which screams over the green, catches a knoll and stops on the back side of the knoll, some 50 feet from the cup. A lovely 58 degree wedge to the lightning fast green stops a foot from the cup. One putt for a bogey 6.
    Hole #13 Par 4. A great drive down the right side, in the rough, leaves me some 160 yards from the pin. A pulled 5 iron stops in the rough, left of the green some 80 feet from the cup. Another magic 58 degree wedge stops 5 feet from the cup. One putt and I have a par 4.
    Hole #14 Par 4. An easy 3 wood leaves me in the fairway, with the cup 118 yards away. A punched 9 iron settles 12 feet from the cup. One putt gets me a birdie 3.
    Hole #15 Par 4. And 3 wood leave me 64 yards from the cup. A punched U wedge stops some 12 feet left of the cup. Again, just miss the birdie and settle for par 4.
    Hole #16 Par 3. A thinly struck 5 iron to a pin 176 away catches the slope in from on the green, bounces up to the green and rolls to a spot some 25 feet from the cup. Just miss the birdie putt, score and easy par 3.
    Hole #17 Par 5. A pulled drive leaves me some 165 yards to a blind sliver of land at the bottom of a hill and just short of a ditch. A well struck 4 iron finds its way safely to the landing area in the rough, 107 yards from the cup. A wedge leaves me 8 feet from the cup. Just miss the birdie, settling for a par 5.
    Hole #18 Par 4. A nice drive leaves me 128 yards from the pin. A poorly struck 9 irons settles to the right of the green some 40 feet away. A friend's ball is between me and the cup, but I'm convince it's not a problem. My putt from 9 feet off the green rolls into his ball. My ball stops immediately, some 9 or 10 feet from the cup. It's a magic day. My putt drops for a par 4.

Sorry for going on so long, but I had so much fun today that I had to share.
    Great round, well played. Very impressive.
    WITB: clubs, balls, tees, Advil and a candlestick (just in case)

Comment

Took my wife out twice on a very quite course. My best rounds of the year for just having her with me. Also matched my 2nd best score on our second outing. This course was easier but I still made the shots.
      I send pictures ~ through the mail ~ of buried treasures ~ and Humpback whales ~to famous people ~ I do not know ~ I sign "Sincerely, ~ Matthias Doe" ~ I await ~ their response...

Comment

Perhaps had the best ball striking and shot round in the past 10+ years on Thursday....unfortunately, it was in a tournament and 4 person team event ( everybody tees off, use the best tee shot and all play in their own ball from that point) . I only mishit one shot in 18 holes, a toppy/ thin 9 iron on a par 3 that still ended in a decent spot 15 yards in front of the green....made 3 natural birdies and made another using our teams best drive that was 5 yards ahead of my drive on same line. Wish i could figure out what i did right....lol
        "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

I recently realized that over the summer I had changed my swing a bit -- taking a slightly longer backswing and my timing was off a little bit resulting in, obviously, not quite optimum strikes.

I decided to shorten it it back to like I should be doing (similar to a Jon Rahm style of swing) and I immediately noticed that I was hitting my irons much more flush.

On Thursday I had my best ball striking game of the year where it seemed like nothing could go wrong -- other than missing a few short putts. Had even one of the two or three of them gone in I would have been under par but I was still quite happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdntac View Post

I decided to shorten it it back to like I should be doing (similar to a Jon Rahm style of swing) and I immediately noticed that I was hitting my irons much more flush.

Funny you say this and use Rahmbo as your example , as i have also been trying to do this past month or so....it took a while to adjust to the tempo and timing difference ( still adjusting) however my balance and striking do seem better as a result, without any distance loss.

quick Tempo remains my biggest enemy .....
            "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post

Funny you say this and use Rahmbo as your example , as i have also been trying to do this past month or so....it took a while to adjust to the tempo and timing difference ( still adjusting) however my balance and striking do seem better as a result, without any distance loss.

quick Tempo remains my biggest enemy .....
              I think I play so often, especially with a nonchalant attitude, that I don't realize I've lazily changed my swing.

I'm not that flexible so if I go past about 3/4 for a swing my tempo gets off --- my lower body gets ahead of me and my arms lag behind.

But with a 3/4-ish swing my timing is usually ok and I'm fortunate that I still have the strength to hit it a good distance. Swinging at a higher speed with less than optimum contact certainly doesn't beat a slightly slower swing speed combined with solid contact!

Comment

Originally posted by mpare View Post

Sorry for going on so long, but I had so much fun today that I had to share.
                Thanks for the detail. I count 7 chips where you saved a stroke. For those who need convincing about the merits of good chipping - 7 strokes turn a 78 into a 71.

Great round!

Comment

Just had that round...... missed an 8 footer on 18 for 62 but settled for a smooth 63 with 9 birdies.

Comment

Wow. That's an incredible round. Congratulations.

Originally posted by JSGolf View Post
                    Just had that round...... missed an 8 footer on 18 for 62 but settled for a smooth 63 with 9 birdies.
                    This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

I had my best round of the season today, beating my previous personal best by one shot to shoot 80 at Innerkip Highlands this morning. It was probably my best ball striking round ever, and everything was was working except the putter. Four three-putts kept me from an even better round. Overall, Iím very happy with my progress this year after having an off-year last season.

Comment

This happened for me today, after 3 weeks of hitting hooks that had me questioning if I should just put the clubs away for the rest of the 2019 season.

+4 (76) @ Twenty Valley G&CC with a handful of strokes left on the course:

-stubbed chip on #7 that resulted in a bogey
                        -misread putt from 6ft on #11
                        -chip bounced off the flag on #14
                        -lip out from 10ft on #18

Comment

Well, it's not at the same level as many here, but yesterday at Don Valley might have been the high water mark. Shot an 84, but have to note that there is work going on at the course two holes, a par 4 and a par 5, have been shortened to par 3's.

However, so much was working....the new (used) offset driver was behaving, lost only 2 balls for 3 penalty strokes, had 31 putts, with only one 3 putt.

My object was to focus on keeping tee shots in play, and leaving opportunities for approach shots. Had virtually no recovery shots to play. That made it a totally different game.

Quite apart from the score, what made the game was consistency in quality shots.

Out again today...could be tough to repeat.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

I didn't did, but I did witness history on the weekend at Kawartha! My good buddy fired a 60! https://www.thepeterboroughexaminer....s-kgcc-record/

Comment

I haven't beat my personal best 72 which was set last yr, but have been much more consistent. Almost every game I have a chance to shoot in the 70s, only 1 or 2 poor swings away from that. Also havent shot anything over 89 so nothing in the 90s which is nice.
                              In the bag:
                              -TaylorMade R15 driver/ aldila nv 2kxv 65g x-stiff
                              -Cleveland Classic 3 Wood strong 14*
                              -TaylorMade Burner 2.0 5-PW irons
                              -Nike Vr 58, 54, 52 deg. wedge
                              -Custom milled putter from 303SS

Comment

This was it. Shot 86 at Remington Parkview Lower. Much more of a challenge and satisfying than the shortened Don Valley course (post 72)

Shot 41 on the front, 45 on the back. Two blow up holes; an 8 on the #2 par 5 (Irish Guy's Nemesis hole) and a 6 on the 17th, par 3, due to the one lost ball of the day; tightened up due to pressure of finishing a really good round and pushed it out left.

The driver was working, and I was also getting good approaches. Some good chipping, including an off green chip-in for a birdie, provided a number of 1 putts. Otherwise, I was able to rely on my new lefty arm lock putter, for 28 putts total, with no 3 putts.

I left a number of strokes on the course and could easily have been better. There were 3 putts that hung on the rim and many others that were close tap ins.

A major contributing element to this was a comment made by Kirk Triplett in an interview following his victory of the Pure Insurance Championship. He was asked what his thoughts were as he putt the final stroke of the tourney on the 18th for the win.

His response was to remind himself to loosen up on the grip, which was my swings thought of the day. And that is what I did. It taught me that trying to do to much with each shot results in disaster.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 174,136   Posts: 1,822,401   Members: 47,197   Active Members: 177
                                Welcome to our newest member, ShuckerPaddy.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                                X