/*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked BEGIN*/ /*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked END*/
Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

GOLF ELBOW!!

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GOLF ELBOW!!

Made it through 111 rounds this season, for the most part, sore but okay per the thread below:

https://www.torontogolfnuts.com/foru...-as-sore-as-me

However, out of nowhere I began having terrific pain in the bottom of my elbow over the past 2 weeks - Golf elbow in every sense and never had this before...

Been icing, heat/shower massage, using Voltaren/Icy Hot, booked an app with my RMT on Monday, etc. and I'm a bit scared to be honest.

Any thoughts from those that have suffered??

Thanks,

- Ian
    Taylormade M1 460 Driver 9.5D (Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 TS) (8.75D)
    Taylormade M1 3 Metal 15.0D (Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 TS) (16.5D)
    Taylormade PSI Irons (KBS C-Taper 105 S) (3-PW)
    Taylormade TP EF Satin Chrome Wedges (KBS Tour Wedge) (52D/56D/60D)
    Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals/Irons)
    Taylormade Spider Tour Black 34" (20G Weights)
    SuperStroke CounterCore Pistol GT 2.0
    Taylormade Supreme Cart Bag
    Clicgear 3.5+ Push Cart
    SkyCaddie TOUCH

Found this, looks good - But if any other suggestions I'm all ears!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N4QWRnGeeA

Appreciate it!

- Ian
    Clicgear 3.5+ Push Cart
    SkyCaddie TOUCH

Comment

I had it horrible a few years ago... switched to graphite and oversized grips which really helped. Out of nowhere I got it twice this year (currently dealing with the 2nd flare up).

If your RMT does ultrasound that helps alot with breaking things up and speeding up the healing process. I also grabbed a theraband to stretch and strengthen. At least winter is here for the rest part!
      Bag: PING Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Floral
      Driver: Ping G400 SFT @ 10*
      Wood: Cobra King F8 @ 17*
      Hybrids: Cobra King F8 22*
      Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW
      Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60*
      Putter: SGC WB Northwood
      Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

Comment

Good news is I use Golf Pride CP2 Pro 'Jumbo' grips...

Never had this before, but it appear the key is proper stretching of the tendons between the wrist and the bone where the pain is centred. I'm really good at stretching everything else, so looks like I'll have to start another routine...

My RMT is awesome, I'm sure she'll be able to assist as well.

Other problem is no rest for the weary, I start my indoor sim league next week but will take a break if necessary.

Thanks!

- Ian
        Clicgear 3.5+ Push Cart
        SkyCaddie TOUCH

Comment

I can't offer any advice, but I am left shaking my head at how you managed to play 111 rounds in one year. Vey impressive!

Comment

I had it - still flames up. But I put pressure on it - strong massage
            with thumb - regularly and anti-inflammatories of course.

Comment

Originally posted by 4wedges View Post
              I can't offer any advice, but I am left shaking my head at how you managed to play 111 rounds in one year. Vey impressive!
              LOL - Working full time and have a very patient wife!!

Full disclosure, about 75 were 18 hole rounds, the rest 9 hole rounds as part of my Tuesday league...
              Clicgear 3.5+ Push Cart
              SkyCaddie TOUCH

Comment

111, geez, stop playing!
                things change

Comment

Once, perhaps 25 years ago, I had it. Iirc, it was taking a giant divot that caused the pain for me. It took a while for it to go away though I wasn't playing very frequently back then.

Comment

I had golfers elbow years ago. Buy an elbow brace and you should be able to play with minimum/no pain. I still keep one in my bag just in case.

Comment

for me It was daily mat practice in the garage over the winter for me. Don't do it anymore. I don't set up a mat in the backyard until May, and hit less than a.hundred balls a day. No problem this way.
                      things change

Comment

Put Pro-Soft inserts in all steel shafts and if your grip is strong, learn to hit balls with a neutral grip.
                        Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
                        Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
                        Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

Used to have it bad. Did physio, deep massage, cortizone to little effect. Most effective were rest, stretching/ice, Band-it elbow compression strap, bigger/softer grips, more neutral grip. Only occasional minor flareups now if I overdo it.
                          A bit of rest may the best at this point before starting indoors. Hitting off of mats is more likely to set it off for me than hitting off of turf. If rest isn't in the cards wear the Band-it strap when playing the sims to reduce the strain, vibration.

Comment

Its tendonitis which is an overuse/repetitive use injury....
                            management typically requires a combination of:

rest, ice, anti-inflammatories , rest, gentle stretching, did I say rest
                            ......some physio/athletic therapist modalities tossed in to help with deep tissue healing and then the therapist will prescribe some exercises. In severe or repetitive cases a cortisone shot might be indicated or recurring a minor surgical procedure to reduce scar tissue can be done.

Unfortunately, due to the nature of the injury , it is quite common for it to recur so prophylactic measures are needed , which can include:
                            -stretching and strengthening
                            - analgesics and anti-inflammatories taken before and after you play
                            - icing during and post round
                            - use of a counter force brace/strap

luckily have never had any tendonitis from golfing but did have severe medial epicondylitis in high school and University when I played a ton of hardball and was a javelin thrower. Maxed out my quota of cortisone shots ..which at the time was a lifetime max of 3
                            Last edited by Weirfan; Nov 4, 2019, 09:01 AM.
                            "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

You never mentioned which Elbow. I am assuming its your lead arm (right) and you swing righthanded. I am also assuming the pain is not right at the elbow but a muscle slightly under it. If so it sounds like something I had a few years back. I bought one of those compression sleeves from Canadian Tire that help out greatly. I was able to play the rest of the season with it on.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/t...9182p.html#srp

With that said, the best thing you could do for your arm is let it rest. You could use the sleeve for the rest of the year yet let your arm rest for the rest of the winter to help repair and heal the damage you have done. That is what I did at the end of that year, stop golf till the next spring and I haven't used the sleeve since.
                              Cobra L5V- Nunchuk shaft
                              Ping Rapture V2 4W
                              Adams Idea Pro 2H
                              Accuform PTM
                              SC Red X

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays