Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GOLF ELBOW!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My arm is progressing nicely, first day where I almost forgot I had pain (Worked it hard on Saturday, with a round in the sim, and then chores around the outside of the house)...

Believe the 'Tens' electrical treatment is working, but I'm straight-arm flexing at the wrist in regular intervals and starting to squeeze a tennis ball to begin to gently strengthen the muscles. Continuing to stay the course and have RMT treatments Friday and Monday...

Playing my sim league match Wed. with a brace below the elbow to keep it stable. Feeling good about progress, and firmly believe (for me and jburns apparently) the 'rest' thing just doesn't work...

- Ian
    Taylormade M1 460 Driver 9.5D (Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 TS) (8.75D)
    Taylormade M1 3 Metal 15.0D (Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 TS) (16.5D)
    Taylormade PSI Irons (KBS C-Taper 105 S) (3-PW)
    Taylormade TP EF Satin Chrome Wedges (KBS Tour Wedge) (52D/56D/60D)
    Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals/Irons)
    Taylormade Spider Tour Black 34" (20G Weights)
    SuperStroke CounterCore Pistol GT 2.0
    Taylormade Supreme Cart Bag
    Clicgear 3.5+ Push Cart
    SkyCaddie TOUCH

Comment

I have it pretty bad as well. The first time ever. I think I played 120+ rounds this year combined with hitting 100-200 balls, 3-4 times a week. I think I need to remember I'm not 20 years old anymore. It's been getting better this week after a few weeks of no golf.

What's in my bag...

Driver: Titleist 905S; 9.5 degree with YS-7+ stiff shaft
      Fairway: Innovex RLS; 15 degree with R300 shaft
      Hybrids: Innovex Type-S; 18, 22, 26, 30 degree with R300 shafts
      Irons: Innovex Type-S GDT; 7-PW with R300 shafts
      Wedges: Innovex Type-S GDT; 50 degree with R300 shaft
      Cleveland 588DSG RTG+; 54 & 58 degree with TT wedge flex shafts
      Putter: Ping 1-a; 34.5"
      Ball: Top Flite Gamer and D2 Feel
      Note: Innovex gear fitted and built by Gord @ McMahon Golf

Comment

Originally posted by ping1-a View Post
        I have it pretty bad as well. The first time ever. I think I played 120+ rounds this year combined with hitting 100-200 balls, 3-4 times a week. I think I need to remember I'm not 20 years old anymore. It's been getting better this week after a few weeks of no golf.
        I've a few other minor ailments, but nothing that has impacted golf other than a broken toe in Nov. of 2017 (It was fully recovered by the time of our annual Mexican vacation the following Jan.). This is the first time I've had anything that has me 'concerned'...

I played a similar number of rounds, as well as practice and never had issues before. It's getting better, but still a bit achy but hopefully progressing to a positive conclusion. Once it's done hurting, my plan is a regimen to build strength in the forearm.

Fingers crossed.
        Clicgear 3.5+ Push Cart
        SkyCaddie TOUCH

Comment

Originally posted by Another 9 View Post

They are 2 quite different systems. The Dr. Ho is a Tens machine that uses electric current to stimulate the nervous system to activate the muscles. Iím not at all educated in health care so I may be completely off base but I have a Tens machine and itís really cool for certain issues but for tendonitis it may actually overuse the muscle/tendon, making it worse. The ultrasound is much more passive and uses ultrasonic frequency to stimulate and promote healing/circulation in the tissue.
          Went to my RMT today, it's been getting better but it's slow (into week 3 now) - She does amazing work, and it feels great as I'm typing, likely until tomorrow AM where the slow recovery will continue after I play in the sim, no question there is progress, but I'm very impatient.

She confirmed the 'Tens' machine is good for certain things, but she cautioned me using it for Golfer's Elbow as stated above.

Has anyone had a cortizone shot? Don't want to go there (yet), but my objective is to be pain free by New Year's (I have 7 rounds planned in Mexico in mid-Jan, and would prefer not to have to wear the band below my elbow)...

The story continues...

Clicgear 3.5+ Push Cart
          SkyCaddie TOUCH

Comment

...BTW, I've ordered the Theraband as has been suggested.

https://www.amazon.ca/TheraBand-Tend...p_ob_title_def

Decided to get the 'Green' (Medium resistance) to start, as well as the 'Blue' (Heavy resistance) as I progress.

Thanks again gents for all the great advice!!

- Ian

Clicgear 3.5+ Push Cart
            SkyCaddie TOUCH

Comment

Originally posted by tarrantian View Post

Went to my RMT today, it's been getting better but it's slow (into week 3 now) - She does amazing work, and it feels great as I'm typing, likely until tomorrow AM where the slow recovery will continue after I play in the sim, no question there is progress, but I'm very impatient.

She confirmed the 'Tens' machine is good for certain things, but she cautioned me using it for Golfer's Elbow as stated above.

Has anyone had a cortizone shot? Don't want to go there (yet), but my objective is to be pain free by New Year's (I have 7 rounds planned in Mexico in mid-Jan, and would prefer not to have to wear the band below my elbow)...

The story continues...

ok ok i think i've stayed silent long enough. The TENs machine can't actually cause a tendon irritation, it actually isn't suppose to go deep enough to cause muscle activation. TENs units basically causes a constant stimulus that tricks the body into not feeling pain for a temporary period of time. It releases your own endorphins and bingo bango bongo the pain is gone (temporarily).

As for the therabands, that's a great idea but i would just caution what exercises you're doing? Doctor google is a great source of exercises. I'd say a majority of my patient's come and show me exercises they've seen from the inter webs that are actually causing them more harm than good. Go see someone that will give you a proper program. RMT's are great, I work with several fantastic ones, however, they legally can't diagnosis your issue. They can infer from years of seeing people what the issue is but they can't diagnosis, go see a physio (ugh i even shuttered when I wrote that LOL) and have it looked at.

Honestly, if it's really just golfer's elbow it shouldn't take too long if you see the correct therapist to fix the issue. Along with exercises, because that's whats actually going to fix your issue (not tens units or cortisone shots). The biggest thing is, if there a swing change or flaw that's actually creating the issue? Early casting/flipping at impact is often what causes golfers elbow (trail arm) as it's an overactivity of the muscles attaching into the medial epicondyle creating the tendinitis...
              Last edited by spinaltap; Nov 16, 2019, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by spinaltap View Post

ok ok i think i've stayed silent long enough. The TENs machine can't actually cause a tendon irritation, it actually isn't suppose to go deep enough to cause muscle activation. TENs units basically causes a constant stimulus that tricks the body into not feeling pain for a temporary period of time. It releases your own endorphins and bingo bango bongo the pain is gone (temporarily).

As for the therabands, that's a great idea but i would just caution what exercises you're doing? Doctor google is a great source of exercises. I'd say a majority of my patient's come and show me exercises they've seen from the inter webs that are actually causing them more harm than good. Go see someone that will give you a proper program. RMT's are great, I work with several fantastic ones, however, they legally can't diagnosis your issue. They can infer from years of seeing people what the issue is but they can't diagnosis, go see a physio (ugh i even shuttered when I wrote that LOL) and have it looked at.

Honestly, if it's really just golfer's elbow it shouldn't take too long if you see the correct therapist to fix the issue. Along with exercises, because that's whats actually going to fix your issue (not tens units or cortisone shots). The biggest thing is, if there a swing change or flaw that's actually creating the issue? Early casting/flipping at impact is often what causes golfers elbow (trail arm) as it's an overactivity of the muscles attaching into the medial epicondyle creating the tendinitis...
                Thank for finally speaking up Doctor (Why would you stay silent?)...

Anyway, appreciate your professional perspective, and thanks for clarifying the 'TENS' machine piece...

Don't believe it's a flaw, but simply overuse. Looking for a variety of perspectives (inc. professional thank you) to see where this goes. Played in the sim today, and actually didn't feel any pain afterwards today so believe my 'regimine' is likely working and feeling positive.

It's all individual, but for me, the 'rest' part doesn't seem to work. I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing, use the Theraband to build strength and hopefully I'll be pain free.

Thanks!

- Ian
                Clicgear 3.5+ Push Cart
                SkyCaddie TOUCH

Comment

Thank for finally speaking up Doctor (Why would you stay silent?)...

Anyway, appreciate your professional perspective, and thanks for clarifying the 'TENS' machine piece...

Don't believe it's a flaw, but simply overuse. Looking for a variety of perspectives (inc. professional thank you) to see where this goes. Played in the sim today, and actually didn't feel any pain afterwards today so believe my 'regimine' is likely working and feeling positive.

It's all individual, but for me, the 'rest' part doesn't seem to work. I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing, use the Theraband to build strength and hopefully I'll be pain free.

Thanks!

- Ian
                  Is your brace just a tensor or an actual tennis elbow brace?

Comment

Hey Ian, I had a huge tennis elbow flare up in early October, did physio but pain and inflammation was much more than ever experienced. Anyway ended up getting a cortisone shot, waited 10 days (doctor recommended 5), played 2 rounds with band, no pain but alas in my 3rd 18 (all on different days &#128540, pain started to return on the back 9. Took another 5 days off and played again with elbow band but pain returned. Anyway shut it all down and have gone back to physio so with treatment and muscle strengthening exercises feels good. My goal is to be ready for spring with zero re-occurrence. BTW I do use graphite shafts but believe overuse contributed to my occurrence (125 games including multiple 36 round days). Good luck!
                    - Sun Mountain H2NO Cart Bag
                    - Srixon Z785 driver
                    - Cobra F8+ 3/4 Fairway Wood
                    - Cobra F8 3 Hybrid
                    - Srixon U85 4 utility
                    - Srixon Z565/765/965 irons (5-PW)
                    - RTX-3 wedges 50, 54 & 58
                    - Evenroll ER6 putter

Comment

Originally posted by Pingeye2_fan View Post

Is your brace just a tensor or an actual tennis elbow brace?
                      It's actually from Golf Town, has 2 'pressure' pads on the inside of the band at opposite sides. Believe it's specifically for both tennis AND golfer's elbow (My simple understanding is both afflictions are similar, just on opposite sides of the elbow)...

Ironically, I played serious, competitve tennis from my late teens to my mid-40's and NEVER had 'tennis elbow'!

- Ian
                      Clicgear 3.5+ Push Cart
                      SkyCaddie TOUCH

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy3864 View Post

Hey Ian, I had a huge tennis elbow flare up in early October, did physio but pain and inflammation was much more than ever experienced. Anyway ended up getting a cortisone shot, waited 10 days (doctor recommended 5), played 2 rounds with band, no pain but alas in my 3rd 18 (all on different days &#128540, pain started to return on the back 9. Took another 5 days off and played again with elbow band but pain returned. Anyway shut it all down and have gone back to physio so with treatment and muscle strengthening exercises feels good. My goal is to be ready for spring with zero re-occurrence. BTW I do use graphite shafts but believe overuse contributed to my occurrence (125 games including multiple 36 round days). Good luck!
                        Hey Jim (Just sent you a PM as aside on another topic), it's really coming along well now with multiple massage treatments and constant stretching/aqua therapy, etc. My RMT feels the muscles are stretching out nicely and my pain is almost gone - This is while I continue to work it, and play the indoor sims.

I've stopped using the 'TENS' machine as the pain has subsided, and am constantly stretching with the hand up/pulling with the other hand and then hand down as well. This has to be a conscious effort in my opinion as it's easy to just rest the elbow and hope for the best.

Finally, I've ordered 2 sizes of the Theraband as I believe this will assist in strengthening goind forward:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZsa0bBCAf0

My goal is to be pain/brace-free by the time of my mid-Jan. trip to Mexico.

I'll have to add stretching this area of my body to my long list of other stretching I do to keep this old body playing into my late 50's and beyond!!

Cheers,

- Ian
                        Clicgear 3.5+ Push Cart
                        SkyCaddie TOUCH

Comment

Avoid cortisone at all costs. I had it injected into my elbow and it felt 100pct better for two weeks then it just comes back and during those two weeks I had caused more damage cause it felt 100 pct
                          MEMBER OF THE 2008/2011/2014/2016TGN/OGF RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Here is my golf elbow episode from 2018.
                            Attached Files
                            King Cobra F9 10.5* Tour, VA Composites Raijin 44 A
                            Cobra F8 3-4 wood 13.5*, VA Composites Raijin 44 R
                            Cobra F8 5 wood 17.5*, Tensei Blue A
                            Mizuno CLK 22*, Speeder Evolution HB 75 S
                            Ping i25 5-pw, TFC 189 R, 1.5* U
                            Ping Glide 1.0 ES 54.5*, CFS Wedge Flex
                            Ping Eye 2+, 57.5*, KT S
                            Taylor Made TP Mullen 2, 35" LH
                            Srixon ZStar XV Ball

"Some day the courage of men may fail, but it will not be this day!"

Comment

Originally posted by rgk5 View Post
                              Here is my golf elbow episode from 2018.
                              That looks ugly .

Comment

Originally posted by nearace View Post

That looks ugly .
                                Suprisingly, there was little pain, just the lovely patina. No problems since.
                                King Cobra F9 10.5* Tour, VA Composites Raijin 44 A
                                Cobra F8 3-4 wood 13.5*, VA Composites Raijin 44 R
                                Cobra F8 5 wood 17.5*, Tensei Blue A
                                Mizuno CLK 22*, Speeder Evolution HB 75 S
                                Ping i25 5-pw, TFC 189 R, 1.5* U
                                Ping Glide 1.0 ES 54.5*, CFS Wedge Flex
                                Ping Eye 2+, 57.5*, KT S
                                Taylor Made TP Mullen 2, 35" LH
                                Srixon ZStar XV Ball

"Some day the courage of men may fail, but it will not be this day!"

Comment

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 173,501   Posts: 1,814,229   Members: 47,098   Active Members: 176
                                Welcome to our newest member, fanta222.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                                X