Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

so that was a fun afternoon....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• so that was a fun afternoon....

Not sure if this goes under golf travel or not, but post here anyways....more random golf than anything....

Thursday, I had my last conference call cancelled and the afternoon was open. I am working remotely from my parents place in Palm Springs. Was thinking of playing Escena, but I was curious about Desert Dunes, just the other side of I-10, but can be in a wind tunnel. Forecast was for belt moderate wind, so thought Iíd take a shot. And it was cheaper at 49 vs 69 after 12 noon.

They were wide open at 1230 after a couple of groups, so I headed to the range to warm up. There I met Grant Fuhr, HoF goalie and holder of 4 Stanley Cup rings, maybe 5. Canít recall. A lot. We chatted and he went back to clubhouse , I hit balls.

10 minutes later I head back to first tee and his group is teeing off. One of them asks if I am single, yep, well join us. Cool!

I get up on tee box and realize my hands are shaking. I hadnít eaten since 630 AM. Anyways , weak slice into right gully but no real damage done and we are off. Very fun group. Grant couldnít have been nicer. We played from the tips, and my cart mate said he hadnít done that in15 years. He was a 10, other guy was a 11 and I was a 20. I wasnít in their game (dollar skins I think) but they couldnít have been nicer.

Grant shot 77, my partner a 92, the other guy a 94 and me a 103.

I burned 5 cups from 6-10í leaving them within 1-2Ē. And left 5 an inch short on the brand new and badly scarred Bermuda greens. They need another week to green up. Lots of very rough spots. My real issue was off the tee.

Grant apologized for the conditions, the course had only opened up after re-seeding earlier in the week. Another week and theyíd be better filled in. Two weeks, the greens will be running around 11. It is a really good track if you havenít played it. Robert Trent Jones Jr design. But it is frequently 30-40 mph winds, which if greens are that fast could make it close to unplayable.

Anyways a thrill to play with one of my heroes.

Attached Files
    Callaway Epic SZ, Evenflow 65gm Reg, 45"
    Callaway Rogue 13*, Evenflow 75 gm reg flex
    Callaway Rogue 15*, Evenflow 75 gm, reg flex
    Callaway Rogue 21* Hybrid, Aldila Rogue Black 85 gm
    TM P790 irons, 5-AW, DG R300U 105gm
    Titleist Vokey 52*/8 and 58*/8 SM6 wedges
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 33”

Very cool, sounds like a great day.

Comment

A few other notes:

They were all super nice. Clearly they play together a lot. Grant was pretty funny in a very quiet, dry kind of way.

As it happened, I asked him if he had played in the celebrity shoot out at the Shaw Champions Tour event held at my club. I thought I had seen his name on the list. He said yeah, we won it. I asked who his partner was because I thought it was individual. He said no partners. Ah, the ďRoyal weĒ, he laughed.

On the par 3 17th he parked his cart about 3í from the green. I made the comment that at my club, Iíd need a flag to park that close to a green. (Grant has an interest in the development at DD.) He gave me a look and then pointed at Mike, his cart mate and said ď thatís why I have him along!Ē

We all had a quick drink after the round and parted ways. There was a great documentary on him a while ago on Netflix I watched. A worthwhile hour and change.

He plays in a lot of celebrity events and has moved to the area. He is probably scratch or better. Can hit it high, low, work it and has an extra distance gear when needed. He clearly likes to tinker with his clubs, swap out shafts, swingwright, lead tape. So we chatted a little about monkeying with our clubs.

Fun fun fun.

Comment

Nice ! Always exciting to meet a famous person.

iirc Fuhr was a very good golfer ( scratch ?) at one time.

interesting you posted this as I had stumbled across this article about Grant about a month ago when reading up about golf in PS

http://www.foremagazine.com/profiles...akes-his-mark/

edit to add....look at that gorgeous blue sky....what a great day you had
        "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Great story. DD is not known for great conditioning and Is always quite windy. Better to stay below I10. Fun track though.
          Suggest you play Indian Canyons South if you have a chance.
          Driver - Cobra F7
          Fwy Metals - TM M2 3+5
          Hybrids - TM SLDR 4+5
          Irons - TM M4 6-AW
          Wedges - King Cobra 54+58
          Putter - Scotty GoLo5r

PAEUNGOO NAEMSAE

Comment

Good story. Fun afternoon for sure.
            If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

That is so cool! I would love to spend a day with Grant Fuhr! I watched a TSN documentary on him recently when we were flying back from London. Learned a lot I didnít know about him then.

Comment

That is an absolutely awesome story. Great that he turned out to be easy to play with.

I was such a huge fan of those Oilers teams.
                "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                ...Iggy

Comment

I think we looked at that course but never played last spring when there. Isn't he the Head Pro?

Seem to recall he tried Web.com or Seniors Q school a few years ago.

Comment

Great memories .

Comment

More an honourary celebrity pro. I donít think he teaches, plays celebrity tournaments. He takes the game pretty seriously. He was saying heíll get into his practice/play routine this week. Two-three hours practice in AM, play 9 or 18, practice more. He was speaking at a lunch yesterday and he and the guys were arranging a game for this AM when I left. When I saw him on the range he was hitting wedges to the chipping green from 100-120 yards, 90-95% were within 6í of the pin.

I saw the same doc, I think it is on Netflix now. I had forgotten his suspension and such. I think it was one of the first ever. I donít think he drinks these days. I had grabbed a 6 pack of Coors Light to share but no one took me up on it. After the round, he and I each had an Arnold Palmer.

I loved the Oilers back in the 80ís. Such awesome teams. I lived in Toronto, but never was a fan of the Leafs. Then I moved to Calgary and got converted. I actually attended one of his final games as a Flame. I have had season tickets, well, a third of a season, for the last 20-25 years. They are 7 rows up directly behind the home net in the first and third.

You can tell where his heart i, though he played in St Louis, Calgary and I think a couple other cities. His beat is all Oilers colours....headcovers, etc. Pretty cool.

Comment

Really neat. Thanks for sharing. This is the kind of chance occurrence that makes golf such a unique sport.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

Thanks for sharing, I believe my wife and I played DD 3 years ago while in Palm Springs and I recall conditions werenít the best. I recall Grant Fuhrís name coming up but didnít bump into him. If I have the course correct, I recall there were lots of hares on the course and boy, could they move.
                          - Sun Mountain H2NO Cart Bag
                          - Srixon Z785 driver
                          - Cobra F8+ 3/4 Fairway Wood
                          - Cobra F8 3 Hybrid
                          - Srixon U85 4 utility
                          - Srixon Z565/765/965 irons (5-PW)
                          - RTX-3 wedges 50, 54 & 58
                          - Evenroll ER6 putter

Comment

Super cool story.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy3864 View Post
                              Thanks for sharing, I believe my wife and I played DD 3 years ago while in Palm Springs and I recall conditions werenít the best. I recall Grant Fuhrís name coming up but didnít bump into him. If I have the course correct, I recall there were lots of hares on the course and boy, could they move.
                              Saw a ton of roadrunners, not so many hares. But several hawks also cruising around, do that might explain the lack of hares!

WW, I have been coming to the valley for almost 20 tears now and hadnít really explored north of I-10. I well know the reputation of DD and the Classic Club, but the day was pretty benign in the forecast. My brother told me to spend the extra $20 bucks and play Escena, which I would have had it been blowing. In future, Iíll check out Indian Canyons South.

In the middle of overseeding season, so it is always a conditioning risk. Also a lot of courses down for the count as they rotate through.

As far as Desert Dunes development is concerned, it went into BK several years ago. North of I-10 is less desirable than the Palm Springs/South of I-10 proper. I think Canadians still own it. It was only 15 minute drive from my parents place in 7-Lakes, so if it was windy and I pulled the pin, I could be at Escena in 10 minutes, or Cabazon for shopping in 20. Low risk call.

Played 7 Lakes with my folks yesterday....par 58 executive, shot 68...washappy....todayís scramble...I sucked. Lessons continue to be badly required...

Comment

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 173,492   Posts: 1,814,076   Members: 47,097   Active Members: 176
                              Welcome to our newest member, Highlife.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                              X