Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MY 5 GOLF GOALS FOR 2020 (AND HOW I PERFORMED AGAINST THEM IN 2019)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
    . i'm not a long hitter and will play up to 7000 but its all aboutnthe social component and its not really very social playing different tees
    I don't see playing different tees being less social playing different tees.
    We have plenty of times to chat while walking down the fairway, on the green and walking to the next tee block.

I don't understand why many think playing from the same tees is more fun or more appropriate etiquette.

e.g.) if men and women are in a group does the women move to the white, blue or tips to make things more friendly or improve pace of play playing from the same tee blocks or vis versa...do the guys move up to the red tees to accommodate the women.

Therefore I don't see why players of different playing abilities should play from the same tees....just because.

Would an expert skier have more fun skiing on the green trails with their beginner ski friends or the beginners ski the double black diamonds with the expert skier friends....likely never happens.
    They all likely separately and ski appropriate trails based on skill and meet up at the bottom to chat on the way up on the ski lift.

Comment

Originally posted by Smittyman View Post

You're right about this Serge. 22Putt says it's boring to play driver short iron but it's just as boring to play driver FW/Hybrid, and possibly wedge/chip on most holes.
      Things are wet out here...no/minimal roll...so courses are playing long.

Played on Sunday from the tips/blues on a par 71 6052 yd course....slope 120
      Shot 76...no 3 putts....10 GIR's and had 2 approaches with 3H and never reached the greens.....don't hit my 4W well off the deck.
      7.3 differential.

Played on Monday from tips/blacks on a par 72 6550 yd hazard full course....slope 130.
      Shot 81...three 3 putts...9 GIR's.....7 approaches with 3/4 hybirds or 4W's.....only 3 GIR's on those 7 holes.
      Had just as much fun as Sunday's rd and wasn't bored hitting so many long approach shots.
      8.3 differential.
      Yes, I could have played the blues at under 6200 but just like the challenge.

Comment

Originally posted by CRobertson View Post
        6/10

1. Shoot par or better (Best was +1 this season)
        2. 5 plus birdies in a single round (previous best was 4 which I matched)
        3. Hole in one
        4.Straighten out long irons
        5.Straighten driver
        6.Get handicap below 7. (Started at 9)
        7. Improve bunker play
        8. Get fitted for new clubs
        9. Less average putts per round
        10. Win a tournament (B flight at Interclub event)
        Nice - Like #2, my personal best was 4 and I was on cloud 9!!
        Taylormade M1 460 Driver 9.5D (Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 TS) (8.75D)
        Taylormade M1 3 Metal 15.0D (Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 TS) (16.5D)
        Taylormade PSI Irons (KBS C-Taper 105 S) (3-PW)
        Taylormade TP EF Satin Chrome Wedges (KBS Tour Wedge) (52D/56D/60D)
        Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals/Irons)
        Taylormade Spider Tour Black 34" (20G Weights)
        SuperStroke CounterCore Pistol GT 2.0
        Taylormade Supreme Cart Bag
        Clicgear 3.5+ Push Cart
        SkyCaddie TOUCH

Comment

Originally posted by Mr22putt View Post
          Do you gamble with your friends?....if not....I don't know why you don't play longer tees if that's what you might want to do every now and again.
          About 65% of my rounds are with the same guys, hence the 'social' piece - 25% are with a league where tees are 'dicatated', the remaining 10% are generally when I go to a course on my own and get paired up. In these scenarios I've played off longer tees, but generally I'll play what the others in the group want...

I get why you do what you do Mr22putt and you make good points, but it just seems to work out they way it works out for me and I'm good with it (I don't get bored, and I love seeing my ball farther down the fairway than my partners! )
          Taylormade M1 460 Driver 9.5D (Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 TS) (8.75D)
          Taylormade M1 3 Metal 15.0D (Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 TS) (16.5D)
          Taylormade PSI Irons (KBS C-Taper 105 S) (3-PW)
          Taylormade TP EF Satin Chrome Wedges (KBS Tour Wedge) (52D/56D/60D)
          Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals/Irons)
          Taylormade Spider Tour Black 34" (20G Weights)
          SuperStroke CounterCore Pistol GT 2.0
          Taylormade Supreme Cart Bag
          Clicgear 3.5+ Push Cart
          SkyCaddie TOUCH

Comment

Originally posted by tarrantian View Post

About 65% of my rounds are with the same guys, hence the 'social' piece - 25% are with a league where tees are 'dicatated', the remaining 10% are generally when I go to a course on my own and get paired up. In these scenarios I've played off longer tees, but generally I'll play what the others in the group want...
            )
            Like this approach and what I do.....its so much better for all if longer hitters to move up than short hitters to move back. Keep everyone happy and enjoy the social outing that golf is.

It doesn't have to be boring , you don't have to hit driver wedge off every hole...I used to have this desire and used driver off every tee, now when I play the whites at my home course driver rarely used off the tee.....hit irons for position etc....also brings in use of more clubs and makes you better. ....my game dropped several points as a result.

Re your league... can you not play the longer tees ? Ours has competitions and such so whites ( 6250) is the default but players are allowed to play blues(6650) or golds (7000) if they want....they just cant play shorter than the whites.
            Last edited by Weirfan; Nov 13, 2019, 10:24 AM.
            "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by Mr22putt View Post
              Things are wet out here...no/minimal roll...so courses are playing long.

Played on Sunday from the tips/blues on a par 71 6052 yd course....slope 120
              Shot 76...no 3 putts....10 GIR's and had 2 approaches with 3H and never reached the greens.....don't hit my 4W well off the deck.
              7.3 differential.

Played on Monday from tips/blacks on a par 72 6550 yd hazard full course....slope 130.
              Shot 81...three 3 putts...9 GIR's.....7 approaches with 3/4 hybirds or 4W's.....only 3 GIR's on those 7 holes.
              Had just as much fun as Sunday's rd and wasn't bored hitting so many long approach shots.
              8.3 differential.
              Yes, I could have played the blues at under 6200 but just like the challenge.
              Not arguing with you, it can be fun playing long shots into the green but, like anything, if you have a steady diet of it, then it can get boring as well. This time of year with the wet conditions and cold making it harder to compress the ball, everything is definitely playing long. Under better conditions I think we would all prefer a variety of shots which is why I think the increasing use of hybrid tee blocks (blue/white, white/yellow, etc.) makes a lot of sense on many courses.

Comment

Originally posted by Smittyman View Post
                I think the increasing use of hybrid tee blocks (blue/white, white/yellow, etc.) makes a lot of sense on many courses.
                Yes....I'll use hybrid tees when possible to try to obtain 'ideal' course length so I have a good variety of approach shots.

I'll even make up my own distances at times.....eg.,,,,,if there's a par 4 that's too long that I have no chance at a GIR....I'll move up a set of tees....for example..... a 440 yard par 4 in winter/wet conditions.

Comment

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 173,543   Posts: 1,814,918   Members: 47,104   Active Members: 171
                Welcome to our newest member, kaze1234ify.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                X