Collapse

Bicep Tendonitis

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bicep Tendonitis

Anyone had this condition and recovered from it. Love to hear your experience. Struggling with this for a couple of months now despite physiotherapy, shockwave, laser, massage etc.

Happy New Year.

I have had this condition so bad that I could not lift a light hard cover book or turn a doorknob. My condition was also in the forearm but by putting pressure on the right spot on the back of the elbow I could really feel the pain as well.

It took me about 60 days to completely get rid of it by doing psysio and ice for about 20 minutes morning and night. My observations are that there are no quick remedies for this and no magic remedy.

a program that worked for me was at healthline.com - google 5 exercises for tennis elbow rehab. also the ice treatment . This is almost exactly the program that the sports psysio gave me at the time.

you should be good to go by the start of golf season

Comment

Originally posted by seetrout699 View Post
      Happy New Year.

I have had this condition so bad that I could not lift a light hard cover book or turn a doorknob. My condition was also in the forearm but by putting pressure on the right spot on the back of the elbow I could really feel the pain as well.

It took me about 60 days to completely get rid of it by doing psysio and ice for about 20 minutes morning and night. My observations are that there are no quick remedies for this and no magic remedy.

a program that worked for me was at healthline.com - google 5 exercises for tennis elbow rehab. also the ice treatment . This is almost exactly the program that the sports psysio gave me at the time.

you should be good to go by the start of golf season
      Thanks for that encouragement Don. Appreciate it. And Happy New Year to you too!

Comment

I have only had minor bouts that resolved with rest , ice and analgesics.

as with any form of tendonitis, rest ( avoiding any movements and activities that cause discomfort ) is the most important thing. This can be difficult to do but is critical and one reason why many cases don't resolve.

if you have been diligent with rest , NSAIDS and therapy then a steroid injection might be indicated.

Has your doctor done an MRI ? If not perhaps ask as it could possibly be a partial tear not tendonitis.
        "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
          I have only had minor bouts that resolved with rest , ice and analgesics.

as with any form of tendonitis, rest ( avoiding any movements and activities that cause discomfort ) is the most important thing. This can be difficult to do but is critical and one reason why many cases don't resolve.

if you have been diligent with rest , NSAIDS and therapy then a steroid injection might be indicated.

Has your doctor done an MRI ? If not perhaps ask as it could possibly be a partial tear not tendonitis.
          Thanks for the input. Yes ultrasound indicates no tear. I have been learning to become a "left hander" to give the right side complete rest. Still want to give physiotherapy more time before resorting to more drastic measures. Good thing about winter is there is no temptation to play golf or swing a club.

Comment

Had problems with my left bicep tendon for about 3-4 months this year. It was exacerbated by tennis elbow on the same arm at the same time. Mine bicep responded well to a combination of rest, acupuncture, and ultrasound treatments. I always iced for at least 20 min after my appointments as well. While it cleared up quickly, the elbow tendinitis has taken a lot longer and continues to linger after over a year, despite countless treatments (including dry needling...ouch) and a cortisone injection.
            We may not be good but at least we'll be slow - PB

TM RBZ Tour 10.5 set to 9 deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 70s
            Adams IDEA Super Hybrid XTD 17 deg stiff
            Nike Machspeed 3H 21 deg stiff
            Wilson FG Tour V4 - 4i-GW - DG Pro S300 - TLT build
            Cleveland/TM wedges - 53 / 56 / 60 - all one length
            Cleveland BRZ Classic 1 putter
            Srixon Star XV
            Ogio Grom bag

Comment

I struggled with bicep tendonitis many years ago. It can be particularly stubborn to treat, and a great deal of patience is certainly required.

Since you've been taking physio, I would definitely recommend you continue with that. The issue with physio is, it needs to be quite frequent. 4-5 times a week. Galvanic stim, and ems are fine, but the real healer is frictioning massage. This will break down the scar tissue that likely keeps tearing, due to how fibrous it is, and continues the pain cycle.

Also, as simple as it might sound, don't underestimate the healing power of ice. You should use ice at least once per day. Don't bother with store bought gel packs either, put two ice cube trays of ice in a damp/wet towel for best cold transfer. 13-14 minutes max.

If after 8-12 weeks you're not seeing any improvement, you might want to resort to cortisone. This will really soften the scar tissue and give it really good healing. The issue here is, cortisone does not work at all by osmosis. It has to be very direct. If you opt for this, you'll be very susceptible to further injury, even rupture, for about 3 weeks. Very important to resort to no physical activity during this time.

Good luck, hope things get better soon.

Bridgestone J715 10.5
              Adams Tight Lies Titanium 13.5
              Adams Super LS 17d.
              Mizuno JPX-850 forged 4-PW
              Scratch 8620 53d.
              Callaway X-forged 58d.
              Odyssey White Hot Tour #2
              Srixon Q-star tour

Comment

Thanks for all the input. I have found it very helpful. I am resigned to a lengthy process requiring a lot of patience. I can say that there is a slight improvement after the golf season ended. So hoping it continues.

Comment

Golfer’s Elbow I’ve had before. I’ve had two things work. Wore a golf/tennis elbow brace a lot to take the load off the injury. It helped a lot and allowed it to heal.

Also previously used a fix that I read on here some years ago. Would be hard pressed to find that thread with video link in it now. It involved using a resistance band, Rogue Fitness spedifically if you want to try and search it. You’ll need someone to help you. Wrap the elbow above and below with the band using a fair amount of stretch. This will be tight and it will be cutting off circulation so you can’t leave it on long. Once on have your helper manipulate your elbow through as much motion as they can until you feel like you need the thing off your arm. You’ll need someone to bend your elbow for you because you won’t be able to by yourself.

My wife helped me with it when I had really bad GE in my right arm and after only two sessions the pain was gone. Seemed like a miracle to me at the time. I think the video explained how it did this but long and short was it worked for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Marty Canuck View Post
                    Also previously used a fix that I read on here some years ago. Would be hard pressed to find that thread with video link in it now. It involved using a resistance band, Rogue Fitness spedifically if you want to try and search it. You’ll need someone to help you. Wrap the elbow above and below with the band using a fair amount of stretch. This will be tight and it will be cutting off circulation so you can’t leave it on long. Once on have your helper manipulate your elbow through as much motion as they can until you feel like you need the thing off your arm. You’ll need someone to bend your elbow for you because you won’t be able to by yourself.
                    Who would think that on a golf forum there would be discussion about golfer's elbow?

Comment

Have you looked at Osteopath, Similar to regular physio but I have found more in depth. Few years back I tore my bicep and surgeon recommended osteopath, painfully long process but great outcome. I have since gone back for a few sessions relating to my lower back and shoulders, does the job.
                      Good luck with your progress.
                      Ping G410 10.5*
                      Taylormade M6 3W
                      Callaway Diablo Edge 5W
                      TaylorMade P790 4 - PW
                      Ping Glide Stealth 50*
                      Ping Glide Stealth 54*
                      Cleveland 588 RTX LW 58*
                      Scotty Cameron Select GoLo

Comment

Originally posted by srichard View Post
                        Have you looked at Osteopath, Similar to regular physio but I have found more in depth. Few years back I tore my bicep and surgeon recommended osteopath, painfully long process but great outcome. I have since gone back for a few sessions relating to my lower back and shoulders, does the job.
                        Good luck with your progress.
                        I have not tried an Osteopath yet. Thankfully at the end of last week I started to see some progress with my injury. Keeping my fingers crossed that it continues. Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

Originally posted by kimi View Post

Who would think that on a golf forum there would be discussion about golfer's elbow?

https://www.torontogolfnuts.com/foru...hton-technique
                          The video I was referring to is in the 4th post in the 2nd thread you found here. Thanks for doing the research and tracking that down!

Comment

Just an update in case someone else looks up this thread. I think I have some useful advice. BTW I am 71, so healing does take longer.

I did physiotherapy from January 1 in a very consistent way. No improvement until in March when my therapist told me to start the Buchburger 12 exercises ( you can google this). She told me not to push it and only do what I could do without pain

After three days of this I noticed a difference and had a good feeling that it would do the trick. I continued those exercises and by May I knew I could play this year. I do them every day (about 20-30 minutes) and they are basically good for any shoulder weakness or condition.

Yesterday, I played for the first time and on a couple of drives I felt some pain, but it went away after a few minutes. This morning I am feeling great.

I am not 100%, but I would say I am 90% there. Bicep tendonitis is not an easy fix. You have to be persistent and regular with your exercises.

I have a lot of respect for this condition, and I am resigned to doing these exercises for the rest of my life (short as that may be!).

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                            X