Collapse

GTA AM TOUR 2020 discussion

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bcampb00 View Post

I think it’s worth it. There is a “recreational” division for those without handicap or who don’t care about competing - but you may change your mind on that. One caveat - pace of play. The tour tees off (roughly) in order of handicap - champ flight first, a flight next and so on. By the time it gets to b, c and rec flights, pace of play can become slow. I had one round last over 5 hours. Almost slit my throat.
    Thanks (and thanks to Ruska) for pointing out the Recreational flight. I'd missed that on their website.

It might be interesting to play some courses (like Paintbrush, which I love) in the Rec flight just to be able to take the time to enjoy it, and others (most others) in the C flight to add some interest. Is that allowed?

Not too worried about the PoP, it's way less of an issue if it can be anticipated and there's some sort of worthwhile tradeoff (like playing an inaccessible course). Otherwise, I'd prefer a little quicker....
    "Confusion" will be my epitaph
    ...Iggy

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post

Thanks (and thanks to Ruska) for pointing out the Recreational flight. I'd missed that on their website.

It might be interesting to play some courses (like Paintbrush, which I love) in the Rec flight just to be able to take the time to enjoy it, and others (most others) in the C flight to add some interest. Is that allowed?

Not too worried about the PoP, it's way less of an issue if it can be anticipated and there's some sort of worthwhile tradeoff (like playing an inaccessible course). Otherwise, I'd prefer a little quicker....
      I'm positive that you could move from Rec to your proper handicapped flight as long as its done well enough in advance and there are spots available in the event. There can be a waiting list for some events but spots do open up last minute.

"Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

I don’t think it’s overly competitive. I would just play in your own flight. Guys on tour are largely great people, and there for the camaraderie more than anything.

Comment

Originally posted by P25 View Post
          I don’t think it’s overly competitive. I would just play in your own flight. Guys on tour are largely great people, and there for the camaraderie more than anything.
          I agree with this, good group of guys and not that competitive (once you adapt to holing every putt - which isn’t a bad discipline to get in to). As aN added benefit, some of the courses offer tour members access on days other than tournament dates. I have used that a few times to play Wildfire with friends - a really nice Mcbroom design in the kawarthas about an hour and a bit away.

Comment

Originally posted by bcampb00 View Post

I agree with this, good group of guys and not that competitive (once you adapt to holing every putt - which isn’t a bad discipline to get in to). As aN added benefit, some of the courses offer tour members access on days other than tournament dates. I have used that a few times to play Wildfire with friends - a really nice Mcbroom design in the kawarthas about an hour and a bit away.
            Yes and while I have not done it, I understand some courses will allow access for a practice round

Comment

I have bowel issues that provide me with a window of opportunity to play relatively risk free of incontinence issues.

Best for me is a tee off time between 8 a.m. and 10 a.m. Before or after that, especially if more than a 1 hour drive makes thing iffy.

Is it possible to generalise on how early or late in the day these tournaments start and at what hour of the day can a C or Rec flight be expected to tee off?

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

Originally posted by Fore Warned View Post
                I have bowel issues that provide me with a window of opportunity to play relatively risk free of incontinence issues.

Best for me is a tee off time between 8 a.m. and 10 a.m. Before or after that, especially if more than a 1 hour drive makes thing iffy.

Is it possible to generalise on how early or late in the day these tournaments start and at what hour of the day can a C or Rec flight be expected to tee off?
                In the events I've played in, the order is:

Champ / A / Senior / B / C / Rec

Meaning C-Flight typically tees off past 1pm?

Comment

Originally posted by smc66 View Post

Yes, but you can make a special request for a particular tee time. I have found that they have been accommodative but you will likely be playing with A-flight players - not competing against them, just playing with them.

Comment

Thanks. Unfortunately, if that is the case, it would put this very much out of my target zone.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

Or later. i was in B flight last season and my earliest tee time was 11 am and my latest 2:30. C flight ( if in the event) was always after B flight tee times ended.

You can probably find the tee sheets online for last years events to look it up.

Comment

I played in the B flight but I could care less for the competition. I am all about the courses. Great for getting access to some I wouldn’t get to play otherwise.

I would agree with it being very well run. Mark is on point with things and they try and keep the pace moving.

Comment

I've been watching this tour from afar for a number of years now and finally decided to take the plunge for 2020. I had a nice chat with Mark last night and I'm really looking forward to getting back into some semi-competitive golf this coming season.

I'm kind of in purgatory with my handicap right now - I'm currently a 5.3 index and Mark suggested that I enter the Championship flight for this year. I obviously don't have much of a chance to compete with a handicap higher than the normal range for that flight but I've always been a big believer that I grind a bit more when I'm competing against players better than I am.

Hopefully I can get about 10 rounds in this year on the Tour. I've signed up for the Summit event first, seeing that it's already getting close to capacity and I'll start working on adding a number of other events that work with my business and family schedules.

Looking forward to meeting some of you guys out there!
                          My Blog: Now on the Tee
                          www.nowonthetee.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by NowOnTheTeeMB View Post
                            I've been watching this tour from afar for a number of years now and finally decided to take the plunge for 2020. I had a nice chat with Mark last night and I'm really looking forward to getting back into some semi-competitive golf this coming season.

I'm kind of in purgatory with my handicap right now - I'm currently a 5.3 index and Mark suggested that I enter the Championship flight for this year. I obviously don't have much of a chance to compete with a handicap higher than the normal range for that flight but I've always been a big believer that I grind a bit more when I'm competing against players better than I am.

Hopefully I can get about 10 rounds in this year on the Tour. I've signed up for the Summit event first, seeing that it's already getting close to capacity and I'll start working on adding a number of other events that work with my business and family schedules.

Looking forward to meeting some of you guys out there!
                            Welcome !

Mark ( and the rest) is fantastic . Love the friendly and personal touch they put on things...a call to all members each year to welcome them.

As for your flight, Champ has the least participants so more in it is a good thing. If you find that you are struggling and that matters, you can always request to move as long as your cap fits the lower flight.
                            Last edited by Weirfan; Jan 13, 2020, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Been on and off the tour for the past 10 years. Mark does a tremendous job running the tour always a pleasure to play the events.
                              Unfortunately after joining last year I just played 1 event.
                              Still thinking about it for this year.

The tour is a very nice way to travel around the province.

Mad River and Bigwin Island are my favorite courses, but they are a long drive from Oakville.

Comment

Not surprisingly the first two events scheduled for May 4 and 11 have been cancelled

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X