/*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked BEGIN*/ /*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked END*/
Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Please play the right tees for your game and pace of play.

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please play the right tees for your game and pace of play.

I might sound like a bit of an a-hole and kinda ranting but I'm sure anyone else would feel the same after we I went through today.

First before I rant please play the right tee box for your game, I'm sure everyone here knows that but trying to stroke your ego will only have you shooting 100+ and loosing balls left and right.

Now for the rant, I played Lowville this morning and with how courses are dealing with COVID I'm finding rounds to be faster than the standard 4:00-4:20 hour round courses suggest since tee times are spread out and everyone has their own cart. Well today we were behind a group of older gentlemen which have no issues with but after quickly catching up to them we noticed 3 of them were playing from the blue tees and 1 was playing from the whites. Honestly they all should have been playing from the white or red tees because several times we would watch all of them hitting their 3rd or 4th shot before even getting to the 150 or 200 yard marker. This would often cause a 2 or 3 group backup and that 3rd group often got vocal, plus it was hot as hell. Now what about the marshal? Good question we didn't see one the entire day and usually we'll see a marshal no less than 3x a round when we play so that didn't help either.

What about pace of play? Well I wouldn't care if this group hit from the back tees if they kept pace but they didn't, everyone had their own cart, but they would always line up at one persons ball, that person would take 3-5 practice swings, maybe switch clubs and repeat. This would happen every shot for several shots a hole, it added a ton of time to every hole and the round, I honestly only saw the group ahead of them once but saw the groups behind us too often.

So that's my reminder and rant, if I sound like an A-hole I'm sure you'd feel the same if you were in the same situation. If you were this group ahead of mine I'm not sorry for what I said, speed it up and play the right tees.
    In The Bag

Ping G410 Plus - Tour 65S - 9 Draw
    Cobra King F7 - Tensei Blue 65 - S Flex - 15.5D
    Ping G410 - Alta CB 70R - 19
    Srixon Z585/785 - AMT Tour White S300
    MD3 51 - Glide Stealth 2.0 56 - Glide 60
    Edel E3 - TP Mills Handmade - SIK Tour Proto - & more
    TP5-X
    Ping Pioneer

I could care less what tee deck golfers choose. Thats not the issue. Keeping pace of play is and the marshall should be doing something about it. If we're going to be the "Tee deck" police what do we do with those golfers that would likely be no quicker even from the red tees?
    It sounds like their golf habits is what slowed down pace of play and not necessarily skill so moving up to the reds likely wouldn't have helped.
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=914402

Comment

Originally posted by guitarman View Post
      I could care less what tee deck golfers choose. Thats not the issue. Keeping pace of play is and the marshall should be doing something about it. If we're going to be the "Tee deck" police what do we do with those golfers that would likely be no quicker even from the red tees?
      It sounds like their golf habits is what slowed down pace of play and not necessarily skill so moving up to the reds likely wouldn't have helped.
      The tee deck is more the enjoyment part. Like I said I don't care what tee box they played from if they played at pace but their play style and tee box selection added up to a very frustrating round.
      In The Bag

TP5-X
      Ping Pioneer

Comment

Originally posted by MattM97 View Post

The tee deck is more the enjoyment part. Like I said I don't care what tee box they played from if they played at pace but their play style and tee box selection added up to a very frustrating round.
        I've seen the same things you describe and worse. And trust me tee box selection would likely do little to help.
        http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=914402

Comment

I might sound like a bit of an a-hole and kinda ranting but I'm sure anyone else would feel the same after we I went through today.

First before I rant please play the right tee box for your game, I'm sure everyone here knows that but trying to stroke your ego will only have you shooting 100+ and loosing balls left and right.

Now for the rant, I played Lowville this morning and with how courses are dealing with COVID I'm finding rounds to be faster than the standard 4:00-4:20 hour round courses suggest since tee times are spread out and everyone has their own cart. Well today we were behind a group of older gentlemen which have no issues with but after quickly catching up to them we noticed 3 of them were playing from the blue tees and 1 was playing from the whites. Honestly they all should have been playing from the white or red tees because several times we would watch all of them hitting their 3rd or 4th shot before even getting to the 150 or 200 yard marker. This would often cause a 2 or 3 group backup and that 3rd group often got vocal, plus it was hot as hell. Now what about the marshal? Good question we didn't see one the entire day and usually we'll see a marshal no less than 3x a round when we play so that didn't help either.

What about pace of play? Well I wouldn't care if this group hit from the back tees if they kept pace but they didn't, everyone had their own cart, but they would always line up at one persons ball, that person would take 3-5 practice swings, maybe switch clubs and repeat. This would happen every shot for several shots a hole, it added a ton of time to every hole and the round, I honestly only saw the group ahead of them once but saw the groups behind us too often.

So that's my reminder and rant, if I sound like an A-hole I'm sure you'd feel the same if you were in the same situation. If you were this group ahead of mine I'm not sorry for what I said, speed it up and play the right tees.
          Call the golf shop, identify yourself and tee time, where you are on the course, and what the issue is -"we have a problem with pace out here and would like it addressed!" Whether there is a marshal or not is irrelevant - lots of courses don't have marshals but will respond to customer complaints. If you didn't do anything constructive about it, don't whine here! Just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Benz

Have to agree with this, at least to some extent.

Raising awareness among the TGN members is a good first start. However, it's club management who can really address this type of situation and respond accordingly, so your case should really be made to them.

That said, you may find that they're not too concerned about it. Just sayin'...
            But, if enough customers complain, something might happen? I do know that if no customers complain, nothing will happen. Just sayin' what I know.

Comment

Matt . . . one thing you didn't tell us . . . how long was your round?
              If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

It's not just pace of play, it is for your enjoyment. I play members, but often we move back to Golds & last year did Blacks on Saturday. Everytime I play blacks, it is way too long, and I say afterwards "If I was paying & this was my one round here, I'd hate it".

Simply reaching the fairway means hitting a very solid drive on some holes. Two of the par threes are not reachable, and 6 par fours aren't.

Play the tee you can handle, hit the green in regulation and don't need hybrids/woods on every approach.

Played Wooden Sticks with a father & son and they teed it up one deck behind. Not sure the father reached one fairway all day & I was left shaking my head the entire time.

Comment

I played with two young guys the other day,within a few holes they moved up to the forward blocks with me.i asked after the round if they enjoyed the day playing the forward tee box?, they said there was less pressure when they moved up 😁

Comment

Played yesterday. Course had 12 minute starting intervals, so very good. Watched the group ahead of us tee off (on time), after the group ahead had actually finished the first hole, which is what the course wants from 12 minutes intervals. We waited for our actual tee time to tee of, and group ahead was already finished first hole.
                    I thought, 'hey, this could be a good quick flowing round today!'
                    NOT
                    Get to the second tee, and the group ahead is just finishing on the green?? Look ahead, and group ahead of them is just walking off 3rd tee. Group ahead of them is just on 3rd green?? Wow, wondering what happened to slow things down.
                    I get to the 5th tee, where I can see the next few holes. Group 3 ahead is in the next fairway (hole 6). I look ahead. Hole 7 - empty. Hole 8 - group on green.
                    So in 5+ holes this group is 2 1/2 holes behind!! WTF.
                    2 holes later a marshal came by, so I mentioned situation to the marshal. He said 'I spoke to them, but they won't listen' and drove off.
                    Really!
                    So either a piss poor marshal, or the course does not give the marshal enough authority to help correct the situation.
                    I was not pleased!
                    lpw

Comment

Originally posted by wigler View Post
                      Played yesterday. Course had 12 minute starting intervals, so very good. Watched the group ahead of us tee off (on time), after the group ahead had actually finished the first hole, which is what the course wants from 12 minutes intervals. We waited for our actual tee time to tee of, and group ahead was already finished first hole.
                      I thought, 'hey, this could be a good quick flowing round today!'
                      NOT
                      Get to the second tee, and the group ahead is just finishing on the green?? Look ahead, and group ahead of them is just walking off 3rd tee. Group ahead of them is just on 3rd green?? Wow, wondering what happened to slow things down.
                      I get to the 5th tee, where I can see the next few holes. Group 3 ahead is in the next fairway (hole 6). I look ahead. Hole 7 - empty. Hole 8 - group on green.
                      So in 5+ holes this group is 2 1/2 holes behind!! WTF.
                      2 holes later a marshal came by, so I mentioned situation to the marshal. He said 'I spoke to them, but they won't listen' and drove off.
                      Really!
                      So either a piss poor marshal, or the course does not give the marshal enough authority to help correct the situation.
                      I was not pleased!
                      The Marshall was put in the position (presumably with the course owners blessing) of deciding who to irritate - the slow group or those waiting behind. You know his choice. Best way to avoid that in the future is to patronize a course who will make a different decision about who to irritate.

Comment

Man this experience hits close to home, I'm a member at Weston but have been playing a ton of public golf the past 2 years as 4 of my buddies have picked up the game. The amount of ego's I see out on the courses is mind boggling. Played Bond Head - North a few weeks ago, late twilight round, we teed off around 4:30. 4 older guys in front of us, trying to play the Gold's (approx. 6500 yards). They played quickly thankfully but they probably lost a dozen ball each on just tee shot's alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Chambokl View Post
                          Matt . . . one thing you didn't tell us . . . how long was your round?
                          Around 4:20, scorecard says round should be 4:15, with current times that is slow, we should have been done in under 4 in normal pace, if this group wasn't in front of us then 3:30-3:45 would have been our round time most likely.
                          In The Bag

TP5-X
                          Ping Pioneer

Comment

Around 4:20, scorecard says round should be 4:15, with current times that is slow, we should have been done in under 4 in normal pace, if this group wasn't in front of us then 3:30-3:45 would have been our round time most likely.
                            eek, don't know if 4:20 is worth complaining about... it sounds like you have grown accustomed to quicker rounds under covid protocols and experienced what would be considered 'average' for most public courses in a regular year.

Comment

Our course specifies that the first two hours of tee times finish in less than 4 hours, that gives the following groups a fair chance to achieve something similar.
                              There are courses in the UK (Royal Dornoch?) that only permit two balls before 930 AM so that pace of play throughout the day is acceptable.

Comment

Collapse

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Topics: 180,121   Posts: 1,886,801   Members: 48,527   Active Members: 483
                              Welcome to our newest member, bujouves.
                              Collapse

Today's Birthdays

There are no members with birthdays today.

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Working...
                              X