Collapse

Markham Executive GC, Formerly Cresthaven GC

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Markham Executive GC, Formerly Cresthaven GC

Called just now. They are open. Does not seem too busy however. I see every single tee time today and for the next few days, at 15 minute intervals, to be open.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Anyone played this course yet?

Comment

Originally posted by mrcltuch31 View Post
      Anyone played this course yet?
      Yes it's a little par 3 course, great for beginners.
      Driver : TaylorMade R11s 460cc 10.5*
      Wood: Taylormade Rocketballz 3 wood
      Irons : PING G20 4-PW
      Wedges : Cleveland RTX 588 52 & 60
      Putter : Odyssey Metal-X 2-Ball Putter
      Ball : TaylorMade Penta

Comment

Played this course this morning.

Not many people there yet and I tee-ed off as a single. However, by the 10th hole I caught up to a twosome (father + daughter who was a beginner), and they were waiting for the threesome in front of them, some of whom were beginners. In the end, it took almost 2.5 hrs!!

The course condition was... not so good. A couple of the earlier holes were not really ready. Patches of repaired turf were present on the greens and fairways were muddy. In other holes, fairways were fried up (I guess due to the weather). On a couple of tee-boxes, there was no grass left on which I could tee off.

The layout was not bad. It really makes you use every club in your bag, including a driver on one hole. It was about 245 yards uphill par 3, lol. You could tell they tried to make the course longer, as some of the white tee boxes were really moved back. A couple of boxes were close to the 407 highway! And there were a couple of holes at ~200 yards where you have to take a slightly blind shot (you see the green, but not the flag). I think holes like that make the course interesting enough for non-beginners, too.

For $32 bucks, I might return if they finish prepping up the course and the condition gets better.

Comment

That does definitely sound like they lengthened the course from previous which would be a good thing. Hope they do improve the course conditions because back when it was Cresthaven it was up kept very well for the course and price it was at.

Comment

Originally posted by Fore Warned View Post
            Called just now. They are open. Does not seem too busy however. I see every single tee time today and for the next few days, at 15 minute intervals, to be open.

I have driven past the course twice on Thursday and twice on Friday and seen only one group of golfers in the four times that I have driven by.

The course looks a little 'crispy' at the moment.

Hope that more people will get out and support it. Perfect course for kids, families, seniors and during the really hot days.

And when I am again able to swing a club it will most likely be the first course that I go to.

Comment

Anyone play there recently? How are course conditions? Is it as busy as the rest of the courses in the area? Any improvements to the course or facilities since it reopened?

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

Anyone play there recently? How are course conditions? Is it as busy as the rest of the courses in the area? Any improvements to the course or facilities since it reopened?
                I haven't played there in years, but I drove into the lot the other day and looked around. The basic conditions look better than what was described earlier in July because of the recent beneficial rainfall. It's probably going to take a bit longer for the turf repairs to fully take, but I suspect it's in playable condition. There's a new clubhouse to replace the little trailer that the Blainey family had there years ago. There's also a good practice area (not driving range) next to the parking lot. Every time I've driven past since re-opening, there were very few cars in the lot so it's not busy yet as far as I can see.
                U. S. Air Force, Retired

Comment

Originally posted by goshawk View Post

I haven't played there in years, but I drove into the lot the other day and looked around. The basic conditions look better than what was described earlier in July because of the recent beneficial rainfall. It's probably going to take a bit longer for the turf repairs to fully take, but I suspect it's in playable condition. There's a new clubhouse to replace the little trailer that the Blainey family had there years ago. There's also a good practice area (not driving range) next to the parking lot. Every time I've driven past since re-opening, there were very few cars in the lot so it's not busy yet as far as I can see.
                  Thanks for this. Looks like the Covid driven newbie golfers have not yet twigged on to this course.

Sincerely hope the new venture succeeds.

Am making a point to get out there.

Comment

Thanks for this. Looks like the Covid driven newbie golfers have not yet twigged on to this course.

Sincerely hope the new venture succeeds.

Am making a point to get out there.
                    Agree 100%. Let's hope this venture to continue a family/senior/youth friendly course that is walking distance from public transit (in Markham/Unionville) is supported by the golfing community.

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur Dailey View Post

Agree 100%. Let's hope this venture to continue a family/senior/youth friendly course that is walking distance from public transit (in Markham/Unionville) is supported by the golfing community.
                      I hope so AD. It's a wonderful little course for seasoned golfers to work on their irons, and a great beginner's course because of the total lack of bunkers and only one "water" hole (#12 I think), even though it's only about 50 yards to carry the irrigation pond. And extremely walkable!!
                      U. S. Air Force, Retired

Comment

I enjoyed this course as a way to introduce my friend to the game recently. Similar to Parkshore, they didn’t have the volume to push any nerve wracking pace. Despite the lack of patrons, his first lesson was that your tee time is your tee time (he was 30 minutes late and met me on the 5th hole). It was hard to drive home this point with a near empty parking lot but this has been a decades long issue, not just golf.

Comment

Just got back from playing there this morning. Was not very busy. 5- 6 cars when I got there, about 8- 10 when I left. Social distancing was not an issue.

The course is very well manicured. They seemed to have some new looking lawn mowing equipment busy at work.

All the on-course accoutrements and furniture looks new and nice and fresh. All new signage at each tee, with a graphic of the hole. Lots of "no carts here" signs around the greens and every hole has new "this way to next tee" sign. Each tee has a freshly painted bench and new trash bins. All of the hazard areas in between the holes are staked and roped off - have never seen that anywhere. No trash or debris anywhere on the course. Many new safety nets protecting tee areas from errant shots to nearby greens.

However, overall course conditions are about what they were when I played there last year. As with many places there are lots of dry fairway patches. A few of the greens have significant dead areas on them.

Lots of new stuff. The club house is renovated. Very modern looking. They are still using the outdoor washrooms, but they have been totally and nicely redone. There seemed to be washrooms inside the clubhouse, but I was directed to the ones outside. There is a new bridge across the one water hazard.

All the tees are temp tees - and not in great shape. The little mounds they have as the regular tees are pretty beat up. A couple of holes on the front seem to have new tees forged into the fescue area in the direction of the highway, lengthening the holes somewhat. Don't remember those from before.

There are two new net enclosed driving practice bays - each about 25 yards long. They were closed off with yellow tape. There are 5 practice stations facing the side length of one of the driving practice bays. Not sure these will hold up to any extensive use.

All told, looks like a serious attempt at making a go of this place.

But despite the very much needed refresh of the amenities, if course conditions remain what they were in the past, I suspect they will continue to operate at much the same level as they had in the past - a good place for beginners - non serious golf and practice. And that's a good thing by me.

Whether it makes for a good business venture is another thing.

Comment

Thanks for the report on all the renovations. Let's hope they can make a go of it once the turf issues are corrected. Maybe they'll be doing some turf planting this fall or early spring. I don't remember a sprinkler system there (it's been too many years), so they'll have to rely on Mom to provide any watering. Fingers crossed....I still like this little course.
                            U. S. Air Force, Retired

Comment

Drive past on the way to and from work.

They are now open for the year.

Also see that some of the land south of the course has been bulldozed and it appears that they will be using it to lengthen some of the existing holes. Particularly the hole on the far west of the course that runs north to south.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X