/*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked BEGIN*/ /*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked END*/
Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

How many of you keep stats on your game

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lefty17 View Post
    I started keeping a new start this year. How many time you hit the ball inside 50 yards. 36-39 is the average. That include inside 50 yard shots chips and putts. Pretty good stat to see how good your short game is.
    That is pretty much up and down, from inside of 50 yards, or two putt on every hole. Hardly average by any standard I would think.

But yes, would be a good stat to record.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

This is a coming from a guy that teaches the best players in the world. So I’m sure adjusting it to fit different handicaps is something that can be done.
      Titleist TS3 w/ Project X Hzrdus Smoke Green 6.5
      TM M4 3wd w/ Fuji Speeder 857 TR X
      Callaway BB Alpha 815 18-20 w/ Motore Speeder 865 X
      Ping iBlades 4-PW w/ DGX100
      Titleist Vokey Satin 54-58 DGS400
      Ping Redwood Anser 35" Black Finish!!!
      Ping Hoofer

Comment

Originally posted by Lefty17 View Post
        This is a stat that Gareth Raflewski uses with all his students. 36-39 should be you average for 18 holes. Should be 2 shots a hole. If your into the 45 area that’s not good and 33 you’ve had a good day.
        Basically a good day is hitting every green in regulation or getting up and down every time. So a "good day" is playing scratch golf. Doesn't seem like a groundbreaking stat. If you're on tour, doesn't seem like it would be that hard to accomplish. How this shakes out for different handicap levels would be more valuable to us mere mortals.
        It's not the wand. It's the wizard.

Comment

If someone really wants to track stats to improve...listen to Will Robins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-AvvpHVovQ

https://www.willrobins.com/the-scoring-method

You can create/download his "Scorecard" to track your game.

Comment

Originally posted by The McCleery Crow View Post

Basically a good day is hitting every green in regulation or getting up and down every time. So a "good day" is playing scratch golf. Doesn't seem like a groundbreaking stat. If you're on tour, doesn't seem like it would be that hard to accomplish. How this shakes out for different handicap levels would be more valuable to us mere mortals.
            Every green in reg? That's an amazing day by any standard. Who makes every green in reg? That seldomly happens even for + handicappers. At the Safeway, there were professional golfers with less than 50%GIR.

Comment

Originally posted by TeetoGrnr View Post
              If someone really wants to track stats to improve...listen to Will Robins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-AvvpHVovQ

https://www.willrobins.com/the-scoring-method

You can create/download his "Scorecard" to track your game.
              Do you use this method? If so, what are the performance benchmarks that he wants you to achieve in the various catgegories (i.e. A, B, C, D on the card).

Comment

Originally posted by Bern View Post

Every green in reg? That's an amazing day by any standard. Who makes every green in reg? That seldomly happens even for + handicappers. At the Safeway, there were professional golfers with less than 50%GIR.

Right but I said or always getting up and down. You throw in 3-5 birdies and a pro on tour will almost always take 36 shots or less from inside 50 yards. How else do they shoot par or better.
                It's not the wand. It's the wizard.

Comment

Originally posted by The McCleery Crow View Post

Right but I said or always getting up and down. You throw in 3-5 birdies and a pro on tour will almost always take 36 shots or less from inside 50 yards. How else do they shoot par or better.
                  Its certainly do-able for a tour pro, but I still think that 36-39 shots from within 50 yards is an unrealistic number for the average golfer.

The 2020 PGA tour stats are as follows:

Average GIR - 66.3% or 6 U/D down opportunities
                  Average Putt/Round - 29.03

Generally, when a pro does not hit a GIR, they are usually around the green most times. So if we assume that all non-GIR holes result in a chip shot around the green, then the tour pros are averaging 35 shots under 50 yards (29+6). I don't think that the average golfer can achieve only 1 to 4 shots more than a tour pro.

If we take the same stats for a 1-5 handicap golfer, which are 32.6 putts/round and 37% GIR, there are 11.3 non regulation holes. In this case, not all cases are 'just around the green', since lots of times the golfer will take penalties off the tee, resulting in a non GIR, for example. So if we assume conservatively that 50% of the non GIR holes result in a chip under 50 yards, then this level of golfer will already be at 38.3 shots under 50 yards. If you assume 75% of the non GIR holes result in a chip, which is likely more realistic, then your at 41 shots.

The same approach with a 16-20 handicap, who averages 35.8 putts and 16% GIR, and your likely going to be closer to something in the mid forties on an average day. So using the 36-39 shot benchmark, they are usually going to be disappointed.

So long story short, 36-39 shots within 50 yards is doable for the tour pro and very low handicappers, but not very likely for the average golfer, and therefore an unrealistic target.

Comment

Originally posted by luv2kruz View Post
                    Driver 12
                    Hybrid/Wood Tee 2
                    Par 3 Tee Shots 4
                    Layups 6
                    Approach Shots 10
                    Recovery Shots 2
                    Penalty Shot 1
                    Wedge Shots 5
                    Chip Shots 6
                    Bunker Shots 2
                    Putts 35
                    Further to my post above and going back to the table I showed in post #57, you can see the average 85 shooter will typically have 43 short game shots (35+2+6), not including the 5 wedge shots, some of which may also be within 50 yards. So again, the 36-39 shot goal is not a realistic number to shoot for, in my opinion, for the average golfer.

Comment

Do you use this method? If so, what are the performance benchmarks that he wants you to achieve in the various catgegories (i.e. A, B, C, D on the card).
                      I used a similar method when I started golfing to bring my score down. It's a high-level look at where improvements are needed and good for the typical 100 shooter who is looking to get to bogey golf, focusing on scoring within 100 yards. You can right-click on the photo of the card in the link to get a better look at it.

First step is to get within 100 yards "in regulation." One shot for par 3s, two for par 4s, and 3 for par 5s. This is tied to driving and approach shots.

Second step is to record a successful score within 100 yards (3 strokes or less). This is tied to short game and putting.

Third step is to record made putts 4 ft or under.

Fourth step is to record total putts.

Recording these items helps to identify strengths and weaknesses and defines a practice opportunity. I think it's an excellent method for higher handicappers looking to improve.

For mid and low handicaps, a more in-depth approach to statistics for improvement would be required.
                      “Potential Is On The Inside, It’s Our Role To See It And Then Help People Unlock It.” - Will Robins

Comment

Originally posted by TheBaconator View Post

I used a similar method when I started golfing to bring my score down. It's a high-level look at where improvements are needed and good for the typical 100 shooter who is looking to get to bogey golf, focusing on scoring within 100 yards. You can right-click on the photo of the card in the link to get a better look at it.

First step is to get within 100 yards "in regulation." One shot for par 3s, two for par 4s, and 3 for par 5s. This is tied to driving and approach shots.

Second step is to record a successful score within 100 yards (3 strokes or less). This is tied to short game and putting.

Third step is to record made putts 4 ft or under.

Fourth step is to record total putts.

Recording these items helps to identify strengths and weaknesses and defines a practice opportunity. I think it's an excellent method for higher handicappers looking to improve.

For mid and low handicaps, a more in-depth approach to statistics for improvement would be required.
                        Ya, it did look like it was targeted for higher handicappers, since the performance targets seemed to gear you for bogey golf (i.e. 2 shots to get into 100 yards, and then 3 shots to get down). This is good I guess and generally simplistic enough for beginners to understand, but I don't think this is a really good statistics-based approach since there are only 4 stats involved and they simply don't provide the granularity for breaking down the game into its key parts and measuring the key skills directly. The same arguments that I made in post #18 apply.

Comment

Ya, it did look like it was targeted for higher handicappers, since the performance targets seemed to gear you for bogey golf (i.e. 2 shots to get into 100 yards, and then 3 shots to get down). This is good I guess and generally simplistic enough for beginners to understand, but I don't think this is a really good statistics-based approach since there are only 4 stats involved and they simply don't provide the granularity for breaking down the game into its key parts and measuring the key skills directly. The same arguments that I made in post #18 apply.
                          It doesn't only work for high handicappers. By keeping stats on everything, you can reduce targets. FIR and GIR is only part of it, you might want to dial in FIR to left side vs right side of fairway or high side vs low side of green

What is your proximity to hole targets from different yardages with different clubs.
                          How often do you hit pitchs/chips from X yards, inside Y ft etc.
                          Stats can highlight where you need to spend time working.
                          Pretty sure pros track stats all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by TeetoGrnr View Post

It doesn't only work for high handicappers. By keeping stats on everything, you can reduce targets. FIR and GIR is only part of it, you might want to dial in FIR to left side vs right side of fairway or high side vs low side of green

What is your proximity to hole targets from different yardages with different clubs.
                            How often do you hit pitchs/chips from X yards, inside Y ft etc.
                            Stats can highlight where you need to spend time working.
                            Pretty sure pros track stats all the time.
                            Where does the 'Scoring Method' system do that? The card doesn't have any of those stats on it. Or are you talking about stats in general, for which I would agree with you.

Comment

Collapse

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Topics: 181,740   Posts: 1,899,042   Members: 49,010   Active Members: 447
                            Welcome to our newest member, Clean Livin.
                            Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Working...
                            X