Return of the 7 wood

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Return of the 7 wood

http://www.golfwrx.com/630104/7-wood...m_content=main

Anyone else have one of these in the bag?

I recently added a Heavenwood which is one of my favourites to hit now. I believe it is similar to a 7 wood.

Comment

Great club - put one in the bag about 30 years ago when Trevino was raving about it - back then it was 26 or 27 degrees - calmed down for years until VJ put one in his bag but the loft was lower at 23 or 24 - now most of them are 21
      Driver - Cleveland Classic 290 - 10.5- Miyazaki Stiff -- Taylor Made Burner 3 and 5 wood
      23* and 26* Adams Idea Tech hybrids both with Fubuki 65HY S
      6 - W - Srixon Z 745 - Dynamic Gold S300
      52* - 56* Cobra Tour Trusty
      Scotty Cameron GoLo #7 --- Kia Ma Imola 8

Comment

7wood "muthers little helper".lol
        I have about 3 different older makes spread around my bags ,and they are very efficient for extracting the ball out of 2nd cut rough.
        Out the 1st cut of rough ,or a clean lie on the fairway ,a same lofted hybrid is much easier. MHO
        things change

Comment

Originally posted by bl8d View Post
          7wood "muthers little helper".lol
          I have about 3 different older makes spread around my bags ,and they are very efficient for extracting the ball out of 2nd cut rough.
          Out the 1st cut of rough ,or a clean lie on the fairway ,a same lofted hybrid is much easier. MHO

That was going to be my question.....What is the difference / preference / versatility between a similarly lofted hybrid and a 7W?

Not sure how tempted I would be for trying to go with a distance club in a heavy 2nd cut of rough. Tried that too often with really bad results....where I end up taking a more lofted iron after my first shot leaves me a second shot to get out of the 2nd cut of rough.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

many single cap golfers find that hybrids hook quite easily for 2 reasons - due to lie angle (too upright) and face being a tad closed on hybrids to counteract a slice which occurs more often in low lofted irons- fitting however could solve the 2 problems - yes a 7 wood will be perhaps an inch and a half longer than the according hybrid but if you hit a 4 or 5 wood well the 7 wood off the rack is an extremely easy club to hit in all areas
            Driver - Cleveland Classic 290 - 10.5- Miyazaki Stiff -- Taylor Made Burner 3 and 5 wood
            23* and 26* Adams Idea Tech hybrids both with Fubuki 65HY S
            6 - W - Srixon Z 745 - Dynamic Gold S300
            52* - 56* Cobra Tour Trusty
            Scotty Cameron GoLo #7 --- Kia Ma Imola 8

Comment

I used to game an old cobra (Norman years) 7 wood. I have always regretted disposing of that club. It was my “rescue” club
              Last edited by bobby Jones; Aug 29, 2020, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scotty23 View Post
                I recently added a Heavenwood which is one of my favourites to hit now. I believe it is similar to a 7 wood.
                7-wood head on a 4-wood shaft. Awesome club.

Comment

I've had various 7 woods over the years. Recently picked up an Aeroburner HL 5 wood but at 21 degrees I call it a 7 wood. While I like it, it's taking a breather while I try out a 22 degree TM Raylor.

Comment

Originally posted by Fore Warned View Post
                    [/B]

That was going to be my question.....What is the difference / preference / versatility between a similarly lofted hybrid and a 7W?

Not sure how tempted I would be for trying to go with a distance club in a heavy 2nd cut of rough. Tried that too often with really bad results....where I end up taking a more lofted iron after my first shot leaves me a second shot to get out of the 2nd cut of rough.
                    7wood advantage out of the deeper 2nd cut is due their smaller frontal area,plus wood designs are deeper front to back meaning their aft bias COG will extricate the ball quicker and higher as long as you play the ball from the middle and come into the ball steeper.
                    things change

Comment

I'll go you one further.
                      I play my Ping 9-wood from 110-130 yards, and my 11-wood from 90-110 yards out.
                      Far more consistent results than my short irons at those distances, especially when not on the fairway.

Comment

Usually my go to club , Ping I 3 can manipulate the yardages anywhere from 175 yards-to 220 with a nice high ball flight and slight draw.Great from the rough as well.

Comment

I use a Tour Edge CB2 21 degree loft. Nice club that performs very well when I put a good swing on it. It has been in the bag for about 8 years.
                          Aim at nothing and you will hit it every time.

Comment

Started using a callaway big bertha V series heavenwood and it's been a revelation... Because of the warbird sole, i am able to use it from 2nd cut and thick rough also, confident that it will get the ball up in the air ... Probably got lucky as i was also under the impression that fairway woods don't work from the rough but later found that the sole makes all the difference. Just that the hybrids didn't work the same way for me.
                            It's not about what you know, but everything about what you understand.

Comment

I bought a 7 wood about 8 years ago from the TaylorMade outlet store in Brantford. I have been using it ever since as my 190-200 yard club. It is in pretty rough shape now and I have been casually looking around for a replacement.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Working...
                              X