/*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked BEGIN*/ /*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked END*/
Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Chipping: To bounce or not to bounce?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chipping: To bounce or not to bounce?

That is the question!

We are confronted here with a fundamental dichotomy in chipping technique; which ball to hit first?

There is an overwhelming volume of diametrically opposed and conflicting advice on this subject from golf experts which is known to lead to schizophrenic like inner angst and turmoil among golfers dealing with irreconcilable basic truths. This is a leading cause of the “Yipps”, a disease of existential consciousness affecting the perplexed and undecided and their inability to shape their own destiny.

To wit – two expert opinions below, first, Padraig Harrington, who absolutely and resolutely eschews using the bounce when chipping, and secondly, Ward and Proudman who embrace the technique as essential.

CHIPPING | Paddy's Golf Tip #1 | Padraig Harrington
    CHIPPING | Paddy's Golf Tip #1 | Padraig Harrington - YouTube
    • Bounce is the most overused word in chipping 8:30
    • NEVER use the bounce when chipping.
    • ALWAYS hit the ball before the ground
    • The club’s bounce may save a bad chip…but never use the bounce intentionally when chipping.
    Piers Ward and Andy Proudman
    One Tip That Will Change Your Chipping FOREVER! | ME AND MY GOLF - YouTube
    • Always use the bounce when chipping 3:14
    • Purposefully strike the ground first, with the bounce of the club head, just behind the ball. 7:27

How do you solve this dilemma?

Next Week: A personal and deep introspective examination of true meaning in the purpose of life and one’s existence, starting with questions like “Why did I come into this room?

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Put me down for the " bounce is your friend " camp
    "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Never been able to hit the low spinner using bounce.

Using bounce may be the more user-friendly approach, extra forgiveness - but certainly limits shot selection.

Comment

Like him or not, I have used the Pelz method for years with great success. Depending on how much green you work with just choose the club and length of swing.

Honestly can't remember the last time I chunked a chip.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pelz...ql5NoP5v2OyAU9
        WITB

D: PING G410 Plus 9*
        F: PING G25 16.5*
        H: PING G400 19* & 22*
        I: PING G400 5 - PW
        W: Cleveland CBX2 50*- 54*- 58*
        P: PING Anser 1966 TR

Comment

Originally posted by kimi View Post

Using bounce may be the more user-friendly approach, extra forgiveness - but certainly limits shot selection.
          I use a number of clubs to chip and pitch and in many cases a 47* wedge that I use the bounce but it stays low and runs out a ways ( depending on how hard I hit it) the flop and bounce and check shot with a 56 or 60* is a bit tougher but too many people use wrist hinge and mess it up. No hinge works great

Comment

Originally posted by kimi View Post

I consider that shot more than a chip, I always expect a chip shot to land and release. I think we are getting more in to pitch shots when we look for a check bounce.
            WITB

Comment

The lush agronomy of the modern course present a very different sole requirement than those in the drier regions, even today.
              Links with their hard ground generally favour a narrower sole with little bounce.
              At one time, clubs expressly meant for Texas and other dry regions featured a sharp positive rake angle.

Optimum bounce is predicated by the typical ground condition you expect to play from.

From dried links style fairways, your best compensatory technique is that what Padraig recommends.

Ward/ Proudham typically play in the wetter part of England where bounce can easily penetrate and slide under and up without burying the face behind the ball.
              things change

Comment

Very interesting and makes sense. Play the lie. I like it when geographic factors are brought into play.

Not sure about comment on the "wetter part of England"? Suggests there are dryer spots?

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

I'll go thru them all over the course of the season.

At the end of last season I was using a lot of putting strokes with hybrids.

Comment

Lie and course conditions dictates everything about the shot. I am in the camp of using no bounce, since I don't want to be switching my technique. Off of tightly mown areas, I will use a shoulder motion, not unlike a putting stroke with no hands and a short backswing. This has vastly improved my chipping in the last year or two and I now consider it a strength of my game. The less moving parts the better IMHO.
                    MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffc View Post
                      Lie and course conditions dictates everything about the shot. I am in the camp of using no bounce, since I don't want to be switching my technique. Off of tightly mown areas, I will use a shoulder motion, not unlike a putting stroke with no hands and a short backswing. This has vastly improved my chipping in the last year or two and I now consider it a strength of my game. The less moving parts the better IMHO.
                      This is my technique as well but I use the bounce.

Larry Chung got me going and I also follow a pro on youtube by the name of Danny Maude and his simple pitching and chipping.....both these guys turned my short game from well below average to above.

if i don't use the bounce the margin for error is less and leading edge digs in or the blade shot.

People should use what works best for them and their confidence and results

my greenside bunker game will be the focus this spring....still below average
                      Last edited by Weirfan; Jan 11, 2021, 09:35 AM.

Comment

I think "using the bounce" is a bit of a misnomer.
                        You still want to hit the ball as close to the point where the ball meets the ground, but depending on the turf condition, the bounce will simply prevent the leading edge from digging. If you hit the ground half an inch to an inch behind, the bounce of the club may save you a softer to normal turf; on hard turf, you are most likely going to blade it.
                        You really need to know the turf and have a few different bounces/grinds for different situations.

Comment

I sent this to a buddy last season whose short game had completely fallen to pieces. He practiced it for 10min before his next round and chipped better than he had in a decade.

We may not be good but at least we'll be slow - PB

TM RBZ Tour 10.5 set to 9 deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 70s
                          Adams IDEA Super Hybrid XTD 17 deg stiff
                          Nike Machspeed 3H 21 deg stiff
                          Wilson FG Tour V4 - 4i-GW - DG Pro S300 - TLT build
                          Cleveland/TM wedges - 53 / 56 / 60 - all one length
                          Cleveland BRZ Classic 1 putter
                          Srixon Star XV
                          Ogio Grom bag

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post

This is my technique as well but I use the bounce.

Larry Chung got me going and I also follow a pro on youtube by the name of Danny Maude and his simple pitching and chipping.....both these guys turned my short game from well below average to above.

if i don't use the bounce the margin for error is less and leading edge digs in or the blade shot.

People should use what works best for them and their confidence and results

my greenside bunker game will be the focus this spring....still below average
                            I was absolutely hopeless out of the sand, figured it out myself just from reading the bunker section of the Dave Pelz short game bible, no lessons needed.
                            Last edited by Pingeye2_fan; Jan 12, 2021, 09:33 AM.
                            WITB

Comment

Here is my take on it. First off I would think that one should look at the wedge design. If the face is slightly above the ground at address then the odds of blading the ball are increased unless you have a fluffly lie or if you put your hands way ahead of the ball. I prefer a beveled edge for that particular reason. Think Ping glide wedge- Maltby glide wedge)Wether you use a similar like putting stroke( Jason Day, Jim Furyk) or use more wrist action la Phil Michelson in both cases the club face must remain in the same position through impact. As a matter of fact the club should still be on a slightly downward
                              angle of attack when the ball is struck. That way you can become very consistent from all type of lies.
                              If interested take a look at the following videos:
                              Phil; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvmHU5Hcs2k Lots of wrist action
                              Jason Day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyWEhCyyaYY Dead hands
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	Wedge-Bounce-Angle-1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.8 KB ID:	3301486Click image for larger version  Name:	OIP.qoQED-B-s1jcnjJPZLqcXAHaHa?w=183&h=183&c=7&o=5&dpr=1.88&pid=1.7.jpg Views:	0 Size:	9.3 KB ID:	3301487
                              End of rant

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X