Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Speculation- when will the 2021 Ontario golf season start?

X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    we 've only scheduled 2 games for early June, and after that it depends on where we stand with everything Covid .
    things change

    Comment


    • #77
      Of course the variant will impact things, but I suspect that openings this year will be weather dependant.

      Comment


      • #78
        If I recall last year golf courses were initially restricted from employing crews to begin preparing the courses for play and at some point received special approval from the province to allow limited staff to being prep on the courses.

        What is the case this year? Are the regions currently in Red such as Halton or Durham or York allowed to start prep when the weather allows currently? I presume anything in lockdown would not be allowed at this time? Does another special approval from the province have to be granted?

        I presume none of this matters until the snow has more or less cleared but I also presume one variable in the when will courses open question is when can crews begin preparing courses for play. Stands as expected as well that any opening plans from this point on are all subject to cases not beginning to climb again to a 3rd wave, when all bets are off.

        Curious if those who are on the inside in courses have any insight?

        Comment


        • #79
          Most years I've managed to get a game in by the end of March somewhere in the GTA. I'm hoping for this year to be the same. Apparently ski hills are allowed to be open now so maybe that is a positive sign for golf courses.

          Comment


          • #80
            Originally posted by pendlebg View Post
            If I recall last year golf courses were initially restricted from employing crews to begin preparing the courses for play and at some point received special approval from the province to allow limited staff to being prep on the courses.

            What is the case this year? Are the regions currently in Red such as Halton or Durham or York allowed to start prep when the weather allows currently? I presume anything in lockdown would not be allowed at this time? Does another special approval from the province have to be granted?

            I presume none of this matters until the snow has more or less cleared but I also presume one variable in the when will courses open question is when can crews begin preparing courses for play. Stands as expected as well that any opening plans from this point on are all subject to cases not beginning to climb again to a 3rd wave, when all bets are off.

            Curious if those who are on the inside in courses have any insight?
            I don't know if anyone on the inside has any more insight than anyone else.

            Last year, golf courses along with a host of other business and activities were shut down as a result of the initial Emergency Order.

            On May 14 golf courses were allowed to open up. They were told some time before (2 weeks?) that they should start to get ready to open - without a firm date as to when they could open.

            This time around, the Emergency Order has been eliminated, except for the Region of Peel, the North Bay Area Health Unit and the City of Toronto. In these area, outdoor golf, driving ranges and indoor golf is not permitted.

            All other areas are now subject to the Coloured Zoning requirement, and I think everyone under those provisions are now under Red Zone rules, where there are no prohibitions against opening outdoor golf courses, driving ranges as well as indoor golf. Social distancing parameters, and possibly capacity limits for indoor activities continue to apply.

            So, except for the places still under lockdown, I believe golf courses, driving ranges and indoor golf facilities are able to open now.

            Here is what I am reading from....
            COVID-19 response framework: keeping Ontario safe and open | Ontario.ca

            I wonder if those Niagara area courses that are usually operating at this time of the year will be reopening?

            And yes...you are right about all of this coming to a grinding halt of we get a third wave coming back and another stay at home order is issued.

            In that case, we might ask if golf courses might be allowed a pass as a venue for safe outdoor exercise with social distancing? I kind of doubt that fine detail would get to the attention of the government.

            If anyone sees the current rules differently, I stand to be corrected.

            Late addition.....Here is the Regulation.....See Sections 14.2 (1) 9 and 42

            O. Reg. 263/20: RULES FOR AREAS IN STAGE 2 (ontario.ca)


            Last edited by Fore Warned; Feb 23, 2021, 09:12 AM.

            Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

            Comment


            • #81
              ^^^^^^ yes, it would appear that under the current set of restrictions golf would be a go. Let's hope that doesn't change for the worse.
              "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

              Comment


              • #82
                Originally posted by Fore Warned View Post


                I wonder if those Niagara area courses that are usually operating at this time of the year will be reopening?
                we are expecting them to reopen as soon as the snow melts

                Originally posted by Fore Warned View Post
                And yes...you are right about all of this coming to a grinding halt of we get a third wave coming back and another stay at home order is issued.

                In that case, we might ask if golf courses might be allowed a pass as a venue for safe outdoor exercise with social distancing? I kind of doubt that fine detail would get to the attention of the government.

                they were originally specified as as safe but for some reason that changed suddenly. in fact it was so sudden down here we were told at the turn that the course was closing.

                Comment


                • #83
                  Originally posted by 4wedges View Post
                  Of course the variant will impact things, but I suspect that openings this year will be weather dependant.
                  Why? COVID-19 is COVID-19, cases coming down mean cases are coming down - Whatever makes up the case counts shouldn't matter if cases continue to come down...

                  The problem is those that buy into this alarmist sensationalism, 'modelling' BS, etc.

                  Cases coming down = cases coming down.

                  This stupid regional framework is useless unless there is some enforcement to maintain regional integrity. Why can't we introduce a system where one has to show ID for retail, restaurants, goods and services, etc.? It will infringe on our personal freedoms? We've had enough of that already and even I'm willing to do this to honour a regional framework...

                  We continue these BS shotgun approaches yet don't address specific workplaces, care homes where this has been a real problem. We let small businesses suffer, with this stop, start crap...

                  Yes, like most I've had enough one year later.
                  Taylormade M1 460 Driver 9.5D (Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 TS) (8.75D)
                  Taylormade M1 3 Metal 15.0D (Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 TS) (16.5D)
                  Taylormade PSI Irons (KBS C-Taper 105 S) (3-PW)
                  Taylormade TP EF Satin Chrome Wedges (KBS Tour Wedge) (52D/56D/60D)
                  Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals/Irons)
                  Taylormade Spider Tour Black 34" (20G Weights)
                  SuperStroke CounterCore Pistol GT 2.0
                  Taylormade Supreme Cart Bag
                  Clicgear 3.5+ Push Cart
                  SkyCaddie TOUCH

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    Things are looking up so far. How long that continues may be questionable.

                    Golf courses in areas still subject to the Emergency Order; Peel, Toronto, North Bay Parry Sound, are not permitted to open.

                    However, these areas are currently supposed to move into the five zone (colour coded) strategy of areas of public health measures on March 8.

                    Even the most restrictive of those, the Grey Lockdown Zone, allows for outdoor golf - with appropriate distancing measures. The rules under this zone and others have been altered to give flexibility to small retail - but not restaurants and bars.

                    Golf should be good to go, on a weather dependent basis, as long as the Covid numbers are such that the Province determines there is no need to go beyond the colour coded zone strategy and reimpose the Stay at Home Emergency Order.

                    The fly in the ointment is the potential for significantly increased Covid numbers possibly driven by increased transmissibility due to variants of the virus.

                    Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      Originally posted by Fore Warned View Post
                      Things are looking up so far. How long that continues may be questionable.

                      Golf courses in areas still subject to the Emergency Order; Peel, Toronto, North Bay Parry Sound, are not permitted to open.

                      However, these areas are currently supposed to move into the five zone (colour coded) strategy of areas of public health measures on March 8.

                      Even the most restrictive of those, the Grey Lockdown Zone, allows for outdoor golf - with appropriate distancing measures. The rules under this zone and others have been altered to give flexibility to small retail - but not restaurants and bars.

                      Golf should be good to go, on a weather dependent basis, as long as the Covid numbers are such that the Province determines there is no need to go beyond the colour coded zone strategy and reimpose the Stay at Home Emergency Order.

                      The fly in the ointment is the potential for significantly increased Covid numbers possibly driven by increased transmissibility due to variants of the virus.
                      Nice catch. Actually didn't know that till I saw your note and looked it up on the Ontario website.

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        Originally posted by tarrantian View Post

                        Why? COVID-19 is COVID-19, cases coming down mean cases are coming down - Whatever makes up the case counts shouldn't matter if cases continue to come down...

                        The problem is those that buy into this alarmist sensationalism, 'modelling' BS, etc.

                        Cases coming down = cases coming down.

                        This stupid regional framework is useless unless there is some enforcement to maintain regional integrity. Why can't we introduce a system where one has to show ID for retail, restaurants, goods and services, etc.? It will infringe on our personal freedoms? We've had enough of that already and even I'm willing to do this to honour a regional framework...

                        We continue these BS shotgun approaches yet don't address specific workplaces, care homes where this has been a real problem. We let small businesses suffer, with this stop, start crap...

                        Yes, like most I've had enough one year later.
                        Well said and I totally agree

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          Originally posted by Fore Warned View Post
                          Things are looking up so far. How long that continues may be questionable.

                          Golf courses in areas still subject to the Emergency Order; Peel, Toronto, North Bay Parry Sound, are not permitted to open.

                          However, these areas are currently supposed to move into the five zone (colour coded) strategy of areas of public health measures on March 8.

                          Even the most restrictive of those, the Grey Lockdown Zone, allows for outdoor golf - with appropriate distancing measures. The rules under this zone and others have been altered to give flexibility to small retail - but not restaurants and bars.

                          Golf should be good to go, on a weather dependent basis, as long as the Covid numbers are such that the Province determines there is no need to go beyond the colour coded zone strategy and reimpose the Stay at Home Emergency Order.

                          The fly in the ointment is the potential for significantly increased Covid numbers possibly driven by increased transmissibility due to variants of the virus.
                          Thank you for the positivity Fore Warned.
                          Taylormade M1 460 Driver 9.5D (Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 TS) (8.75D)
                          Taylormade M1 3 Metal 15.0D (Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 TS) (16.5D)
                          Taylormade PSI Irons (KBS C-Taper 105 S) (3-PW)
                          Taylormade TP EF Satin Chrome Wedges (KBS Tour Wedge) (52D/56D/60D)
                          Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals/Irons)
                          Taylormade Spider Tour Black 34" (20G Weights)
                          SuperStroke CounterCore Pistol GT 2.0
                          Taylormade Supreme Cart Bag
                          Clicgear 3.5+ Push Cart
                          SkyCaddie TOUCH

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            Some Head Pros in York region advising staff to get ready for some action soon.
                            Some I know have been doing some preseason prep work already, obviously mostly admin.
                            plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

                            Comment


                            • #89
                              I dont think we need this thread unless things really go south.

                              Even with the medical officer running Simcoe Muskoka being a tool at best, stated in the grey lockdown rules on the Ontario website, outdoor golf and driving ranges are permitted.
                              Driver - Taylormade SIM MAX 9.0 Diamana S
                              3W - Taylormade M4
                              5 wood - Callaway X Hot
                              4 Hybrid - Taylormade R15
                              Irons - Taylormade 2017 P790 5-PW
                              Wedge - 52 Raw Jaws/56 MD 2 tour grind
                              Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport 2

                              Comment


                              • #90
                                Originally posted by hammy1983 View Post
                                I dont think we need this thread unless things really go south.

                                Even with the medical officer running Simcoe Muskoka being a tool at best, stated in the grey lockdown rules on the Ontario website, outdoor golf and driving ranges are permitted.
                                That bodes well as does the fact that golf courses were able to function within a covid environment last year with minimal issues. Sure courses had a few positive staff cases here and there just like everywhere else but no spreader events.

                                seems seasonality is on our side as well so while increased mobility in spring and summer months will not be great for cases, I think ( and hope) numbers remain at reasonable levels. All LTC residents and staff have been vaccinated and the 80+ group is starting. This is where the vast majority of deaths have occurred so once the 80+ group is also protected by vaccines ( whatever that protection is which seems to be less severe symptoms not prevention of getting the disease) life should begin to get more normal.

                                BUT, who knows with Ford ...?
                                Last edited by Weirfan; Mar 1, 2021, 09:35 AM.
                                "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

                                Comment

                                Collapse

                                Latest TGN Reviews


                                Collapse

                                Today's Birthdays


                                Collapse

                                PGA Leaderboard


                                Working...
                                X