Collapse

Going all in.....

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going all in.....

So, it has been a slow crawl back into golfing since 2015 when the shyt hit the fan and I am slowly updating my bag to 'get serious' about the game. The plan is to get my handicap established again and see how low I can go and get to the plus side. Hopefully the Golfing Gods smile upon me and even enable a tournament or three.

In the spirit of being a 'golf nut' and a reformed club hoe (sort of, it's a slippery slope), I had 'built' my own three wood/shaft combo that was fantastic, so of course I purchased the same five wood/shaft combo, and upgraded my driver shaft to match. Yes, I did see the txg video where they advise against matching your fairway and driver shafts....hey, I wanna try it. I DID get fitted for this head a couple years ago and did buy the shaft they recommended for it...but I digress..

Irons: finally committed to a new set replacing my 11-12yr old set of Pings. Only thing I MAY change is the shaft after I run some numbers and get a few rounds in.

Wedges: done and done, not changing.

Putter: per the Putter Talk thread, on order custom milled...I do have another one in the chamber ready to pull the trigger as well...as I don't have a mallet in the backup quiver.

Bag: new hoofer (my first!) beginning of last year

Ball: undecided, unless I keep going with my love affair with the ProV1x...which has switched characteristics ... perhaps I should read up. Potentially looking at bridgestone, chrome soft..

Shoes: picked up new Pro SLs last year, just got some new Adidas Tour 360 XT SL recently.

Gloves: note to self, pick up bunches!! (FJ Sta Soft or Titleist Perma-Soft)

Range Finder: Still rocking the old Bushnell Pinseeker 1500 Tournament Edition I got from a great TGNer!

I have a Footjoy Rain Coat, need some new pants,...thinking what else I need. Should I pick up a three wheel push cart? LOVE to walk and I have carried for years, my body isn't getting any younger but the Hoofer is far ahead for carrying compared to my older Titleist bag. The Pro SL shoes are great for walking as well.

I do have a goal in mind, but I'm not sure I want to post it and set myself up for failure and a bunch of "I told you so". Putting this out there is motivation enough for me to get my a** in gear and put in the effort. Range Membership is purchased (I get to practice 1hr, 5 days a week min), so is a flex pass at Vic Park East. A couple of people that I have played with have already committed to caddy for me if I can get into some tournaments. LOL

What am I missing....gear...the fact I'm gettin old....a few marbles.

Feel free to comment, encourage, tell me I'm nuts, share your own goals or experiences.

Can't wait for the season to start!

"The more I know about people, the more I like my dog." - Mark Twain

Good start Samick. You have a plan which is more than most of us . . .

Enjoy your golf . . . even though you have a goal don't be too hard on yourself. Golf is suppose to be fun. Enjoy a nice and safe summer.
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

Originally posted by Samick View Post
      So, it has been a slow crawl back into golfing since 2015 when the shyt hit the fan and I am slowly updating my bag to 'get serious' about the game. The plan is to get my handicap established again and see how low I can go and get to the plus side. Hopefully the Golfing Gods smile upon me and even enable a tournament or three.

In the spirit of being a 'golf nut' and a reformed club hoe (sort of, it's a slippery slope), I had 'built' my own three wood/shaft combo that was fantastic, so of course I purchased the same five wood/shaft combo, and upgraded my driver shaft to match. Yes, I did see the txg video where they advise against matching your fairway and driver shafts....hey, I wanna try it. I DID get fitted for this head a couple years ago and did buy the shaft they recommended for it...but I digress..

Irons: finally committed to a new set replacing my 11-12yr old set of Pings. Only thing I MAY change is the shaft after I run some numbers and get a few rounds in.

Wedges: done and done, not changing.

Putter: per the Putter Talk thread, on order custom milled...I do have another one in the chamber ready to pull the trigger as well...as I don't have a mallet in the backup quiver.

Bag: new hoofer (my first!) beginning of last year

Ball: undecided, unless I keep going with my love affair with the ProV1x...which has switched characteristics ... perhaps I should read up. Potentially looking at bridgestone, chrome soft..

Shoes: picked up new Pro SLs last year, just got some new Adidas Tour 360 XT SL recently.

Gloves: note to self, pick up bunches!! (FJ Sta Soft or Titleist Perma-Soft)

Range Finder: Still rocking the old Bushnell Pinseeker 1500 Tournament Edition I got from a great TGNer!

I have a Footjoy Rain Coat, need some new pants,...thinking what else I need. Should I pick up a three wheel push cart? LOVE to walk and I have carried for years, my body isn't getting any younger but the Hoofer is far ahead for carrying compared to my older Titleist bag. The Pro SL shoes are great for walking as well.

I do have a goal in mind, but I'm not sure I want to post it and set myself up for failure and a bunch of "I told you so". Putting this out there is motivation enough for me to get my a** in gear and put in the effort. Range Membership is purchased (I get to practice 1hr, 5 days a week min), so is a flex pass at Vic Park East. A couple of people that I have played with have already committed to caddy for me if I can get into some tournaments. LOL

What am I missing....gear...the fact I'm gettin old....a few marbles.

Feel free to comment, encourage, tell me I'm nuts, share your own goals or experiences.

Can't wait for the season to start!

You're going to need some golf tees. Possibly two types, long for the driver and shorter for other clubs.

You're welcome.
      Ping G410 Plus 10.5*
      Ping G410 3W 16*(17*)
      Ping G400 7W 20.5* or 3H 19*
      Ping G400 4H - 22*
      Ping G400 5 - UW
      Ping Glide 3.0 54/14 WS
      Ping Glide 3.0 58/10 SS
      Gamer: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K One (Evnroll gravity grip)
      Back up: SeeMore DB4 Nashville (303 milled)

Comment

Andrew, good to hear you are back in action. Chris and I will play with you this summer at Vic. East if you like.
        In the Hamilton Golf + CC Embroidered Ping Hoofer

Club Champion Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 A Flex​​
        Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, KuroKage 606 S
        TXG Custom T. Made SIM Max 21* 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2
        TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R

TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-Pw, 1* up, Recoil ESX 460 R
        PXG 0211 GW, 50*, UST Recoil Dart R
        TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115

Ping Glide 4.0, 58* TS/6, Nippon 115 S
        Tour Velvet Midsize Grips, Custom TXG Signature Putter Grip
        TXG Custom King Cobra Nova, 25 gram weights, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Comment

Nothing like a PLAN. Good luck with your endeavours and keep us updated good or bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Chambokl View Post
            Good start Samick. You have a plan which is more than most of us . . .

Enjoy your golf . . . even though you have a goal don't be too hard on yourself. Golf is suppose to be fun. Enjoy a nice and safe summer.
            THAT will probably be one of the hardest parts for me...too high expectations. I TOTALLY agree its supposed to be fun...so I'm going to make this journey as fun as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by rgk5 View Post
              Andrew, good to hear you are back in action. Chris and I will play with you this summer at Vic. East if you like.
              Sounds like a good day on the course to me.

Comment

Nice - post a pic when u get that hoofer embroidered with ur name looking forward to a game this year ✌️

Comment

Originally posted by ginrin View Post
                  Nothing like a PLAN. Good luck with your endeavours and keep us updated good or bad.
                  Will do, and thanks for the kind words.

Comment

Originally posted by Bosco View Post
                    Nice - post a pic when u get that hoofer embroidered with ur name looking forward to a game this year ✌️
                    Thanks! I'm not sure I'll go that far to have my name embroidered...but I do have access to someone who does embroidery and I'm having a custom headcover made for the new flat stick...just need to find a couple ideas of what to put on it.

Comment

Originally posted by rgk5 View Post
                      Vic East my go to place while at the U of Goo....then later....the Cutten Club in 85&86....only $600/yr no initiation as an intermediate member.

I remember watching a guy get beaned in the head on the range at VE...some errant shot from #9.

Comment

Thanks! I'm not sure I'll go that far to have my name embroidered...but I do have access to someone who does embroidery and I'm having a custom headcover made for the new flat stick...just need to find a couple ideas of what to put on it.
                        What can they embroider? I would love to get the Pingman logo on a bag. Or do they just do lettering?
                        Ping G410 Plus 10.5*
                        Ping G410 3W 16*(17*)
                        Ping G400 4H - 22*
                        Ping G400 5 - UW
                        Ping Glide 3.0 54/14 WS
                        Ping Glide 3.0 58/10 SS

Comment

Originally posted by Pingeye2_fan View Post

What can they embroider? I would love to get the Pingman logo on a bag. Or do they just do lettering?
                          They can pretty much embroider anything you want. PM me.....

Oh...thanks for the tip on the tees! LOL I actually played last summer and reached in the bag...nadda! Had to search around the tee boxes for a few holes to get enough to last the round!

Comment

They can pretty much embroider anything you want. PM me.....

Oh...thanks for the tip on the tees! LOL I actually played last summer and reached in the bag...nadda! Had to search around the tee boxes for a few holes to get enough to last the round!
                            Thanks Andrew, I'm a Ping fanboy, might just get it embroidered on my arm.
                            Ping G410 Plus 10.5*
                            Ping G410 3W 16*(17*)
                            Ping G400 4H - 22*
                            Ping G400 5 - UW
                            Ping Glide 3.0 54/14 WS
                            Ping Glide 3.0 58/10 SS

Comment

THAT will probably be one of the hardest parts for me...too high expectations. I TOTALLY agree its supposed to be fun...so I'm going to make this journey as fun as possible.
                              This is what kicked me out of the game basically for 3 years. Turning point was only playing 1 round 2 seasons ago, losing 13 balls at Osprey and actually being able to laugh about it. Last year was better, this year will be better than it and so on.

Just need to find that happy place again, I'm sure hitting balls on the range will help make that happen. I just hope Covid can go away fro Vic Valley can go back to being empty again, tired of 20+ on that range when it used to be me and a couple others...

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X