Collapse

Lost golf clubs

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost golf clubs

I was just at a course in Pickering and looking at the clubs that have been turned in. There was about 40 there and virtually every one was a wedge and mainly sand wedges. I guess people carry their putter and SW to the green and hence why most lost clubs are SW. It also surprised me that some of the clubs were high quality and I wondered why so many people didn't try to recover them.
    Last edited by davepratt; Feb 15, 2021, 06:32 PM.

I would say that We get at least 5 a day turned in and some days 3x that. On a marshal shift I will be flagged a few times that somebody has lost or found one.

tourneys where there are beginners and non golfers are the worst.
    Easy to tell when a cart is going against the flow with one guy. I usually stop them and say you go back to your group and I will find it. Many/most get returned the same day.

Some sit for a while, some never get claimed. Scotties etc. We keep a list of what we have, day lost, and also a list of what was lost not turned in and hopefully match up at some point.

we have wedges, putters, irons, woods, drivers, golf shoes, street shoes, phones, watches, gps watches, hundreds of head covers. Last season a full set of clubs, bag and all was left and still hasn't been claimed . One regular customer left her very nice set of clubs at the bag drop and left, 2 weeks in a row.

somebody else threw their whole set and bag in the pond on 10, a marshal fished out the Callaway wood that was floating, the rest of the clubs and bag are in the pond, oh with his phone apparently lol

Lost Phones on the course are common , found a coat with phone, wallet, keys sitting in the middle of the fairway.

Most unusual request last season, guy said he lost a black soft bag, I joking said with all your drugs in it....he said yes
    "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

years ago I was golfing and found 3 wedges on the green. I guess they guy grabbed 3 and his putter and left them on the green.
      MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

I would say that during most of the the rounds that I play someone in our foursome picks up a club left behind. Most of the time a singleton heads back on the cart when they realize that they were missing a club. The rest of the time usually we give it the marshall, failing that we turn it into the pro shop. Last year one group sent someone back 3 times in 9 holes, lol, we had the club each time. Usually the club is left behind near the green. I usually tell them to leave the club directly in their path [from the hole] on the way back to their cart so they cannot miss it.

Comment

THIS is exactly another case for walking and why better golfers walk - Unless you're too old, frail, handicapped, etc. you should WALK the course...

The ones leaving these clubs behind our the 5 time a year guys who generally don't even consider walking.

When you ride, you generally have to take clubs with you to the area surrounding the green and when I get paired w/riders inevitably some dummy leaves one of the 3-4 clubs he had to take from the cart and one grows weary of reminding people to pick up their clubs!...

WALK people, WALK!! (Unless of course you are unable and you are too old, frail or handicapped then you should ride).

Otherwise, WALK!!

- Ian
          TM Qi10 Ruby Red 460 Driver 9.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S)
          TM Stealth 2 Plus 3 Fairway 15.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S)
          TM Stealth 2 Plus 3 Hybrid 19.5D (Fujikura Vista Pro HB 70S)
          TM Stealth Irons (KBS C-Taper Lite 110S) (4-LW) Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals / Irons)
          TM My TP Soto Silver and Black Putters
          ​* (Custom / KBS CT Tour) - Golf Pride TM Pistol
          TM My Spider Tour X3 Putter* (Custom / KBS Black PVD) - SuperStroke Zenergy Pistol GT 1.0
          TM Supreme Cart Bag (Black / Red)
          TM TP5 Golf Ball
          Clicgear 4.0 Push Cart
          SkyCaddie SX550 GPS
          Bushnell ProX3 Laser Rangefinder

(*Interchangeable to adhere to 14 club rule)
          ​

Comment

I hazard to say u can tell the new golfers these days when you pick up left behind wedges that still have all the factory stickers n price on the shaft. Returned a couple this past season like this. Personally take all them stickers off as soon as I can

Comment

Originally posted by Bosco View Post
              I hazard to say u can tell the new golfers these days when you pick up left behind wedges that still have all the factory stickers n price on the shaft. Returned a couple this past season like this. Personally take all them stickers off as soon as I can
              Definitely new to the game golfers who maybe are less familiar with best process made it more last season. That will continue.

as for carts vs walking, don't think it makes a difference , nor do I believe that the ability of a golfer dictates whether or not they ride or walk. Some of the best golfers I know take a cart and same at with our course leagues. I would say it is 50/50 on the GTA am in A flight . IMO, Cost, course difficulty to walk and weather conditions are the the main determinants of who walks or rides. I'm a 6 so not great but not bad, healthy and it's about 50/50 for me as well.

Comment

Originally posted by tarrantian View Post
                THIS is exactly another case for walking and why better golfers walk - Unless you're too old, frail, handicapped, etc. you should WALK the course...

The ones leaving these clubs behind our the 5 time a year guys who generally don't even consider walking.

When you ride, you generally have to take clubs with you to the area surrounding the green and when I get paired w/riders inevitably some dummy leaves one of the 3-4 clubs he had to take from the cart and one grows weary of reminding people to pick up their clubs!...

WALK people, WALK!! (Unless of course you are unable and you are too old, frail or handicapped then you should ride).

Otherwise, WALK!!

- Ian
                Or, don't be a dummy and leave clubs behind, and get around the course however you want.
                We may not be good but at least we'll be slow - PB

TM RBZ Tour 10.5 set to 9 deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 70s
                Adams IDEA Super Hybrid XTD 17 deg stiff
                Nike Machspeed 3H 21 deg stiff
                Wilson FG Tour V4 - 4i-GW - DG Pro S300 - TLT build
                Cleveland/TM wedges - 53 / 56 / 60 - all one length
                Cleveland BRZ Classic 1 putter
                Srixon Star XV
                Ogio Grom bag

Comment

I don't think there is any difference . . . all kind of players loses clubs. Last year at one point I took a batch from last year, put them on the table and said $5 tip to Pro-Shop (we had them for 1+ year) . . . well quite a few went but some came back, some people added club to the pile, he was quite funny . . . In the other corner we had putter/driver cover, jackets, gloves, shoes, . . . that pile was free . . .

We had a club last year (put aside) . . . top of the line . . . probably $200+ . . . something like a 6 iron . . . finally after 5 days somebody called and retrieved it . . .

If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

Originally posted by dmcdam View Post

Or, don't be a dummy and leave clubs behind, and get around the course however you want.
                    Well said, the problem is there are more opportunities to do this when you ride. Don't think I've ever seen anyone walking leave a club behind but you never know I suppose...
                    TM Qi10 Ruby Red 460 Driver 9.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S)
                    TM Stealth 2 Plus 3 Fairway 15.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S)
                    TM Stealth 2 Plus 3 Hybrid 19.5D (Fujikura Vista Pro HB 70S)
                    TM Stealth Irons (KBS C-Taper Lite 110S) (4-LW) Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals / Irons)
                    TM My TP Soto Silver and Black Putters
                    ​* (Custom / KBS CT Tour) - Golf Pride TM Pistol
                    TM My Spider Tour X3 Putter* (Custom / KBS Black PVD) - SuperStroke Zenergy Pistol GT 1.0
                    TM Supreme Cart Bag (Black / Red)
                    TM TP5 Golf Ball
                    Clicgear 4.0 Push Cart
                    SkyCaddie SX550 GPS
                    Bushnell ProX3 Laser Rangefinder

(*Interchangeable to adhere to 14 club rule)
                    ​

Comment

Pretty much everyone I know has done it at some point, we all make mistakes. Some more than others.

I don't think walking or carting makes much difference. I either do as seatrout suggests - leave it somewhere on your path off the green, either to the cart or to your bag. I also liked placing the extra club(s) on the flagstick, so they couldn't be missed (although I think there was a rant on here by someone who hated that -- thought it made him do extra work, ). And now we don't always (or ever in Covid) take the flag out.

I lost one last year and noticed it when I needed my 54 to chip onto the 18th. We were in carts so I drove back 5 holes and no luck, no one had seen it. Called the pro shop daily for a week, then went out and bought a new one. A month after that I got a call and found out the the 4th in our group (a friend-of-a-friend) had picked up my club while leaving the 17th green and put it in his bag. He's a bit of a space cadet.....

Anyways it's the club I use most (after my putter) so I can always use another.
                      "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                      ...Iggy

Comment

Put your name on your clubs.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffc View Post
                          years ago I was golfing and found 3 wedges on the green. I guess they guy grabbed 3 and his putter and left them on the green.
                          Probably made an incredible putt got excited and left the green celebrating.
                          Happened to me with an expensive Ping putter one time, made an incredible chip in and completely forgot the putter. Unfortunately made a really long chip in again on the next hole so did not notice the putter was missing for three holes. Too late, somehow somebody in a following group must have stolen it. Buddy and I went back several groups eyeing bags etc searching everywhere but it had vanished into thin air apparently.
                          Called Pro Shop several times never handed in.
                          Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

Only time that I have lost a club (knock wood) was at Angus Glen after chipping on.

Never got it back.

And since it was Angus, yes I was riding.
                            Walking your bag is closer so you can return your clubs.

Since then, I drop any club I have carried to the green over top of the flag stick, not beside the green.

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur Dailey View Post
                              Only time that I have lost a club (knock wood) was at Angus Glen after chipping on.

Never got it back.

And since it was Angus, yes I was riding.
                              Walking your bag is closer so you can return your clubs.

Since then, I drop any club I have carried to the green over top of the flag stick, not beside the green.
                              The flag thing is a good strategy. Many I know use it.

I walk a lot use a push cart as most my buds do when they walk.
                              a couple of the young kids at work i play with carry. I leave my push cart as do they their carry bag not far from where the drive carts are parked maybe 10-20 feet closer to the green but in that area where people walk to and walk from a green. Grab the clubs we need just as those in the carts do no real difference....still carry a wedge and a putter if needed. Some courses don't allow pull carts around the green, they need to stay outside the bunker line.

where carts can contribute are on those days where it is CPO when guys bring 2-3 clubs to the ball.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X