Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Masters must use this moment to stand against anti-Black voting laws (Toronto Star)

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Masters must use this moment to stand against anti-Black voting laws (Toronto Star)

https://www.thestar.com/sports/golf/...paign=sp_49870

This was in yesterday's Star (Damien Cox), on-line this AM...

Interesting article - Any thoughts??
    Taylormade M1 460 Driver 9.5D (Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 TS) (8.75D)
    Taylormade M1 3 Metal 15.0D (Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 TS) (16.5D)
    Taylormade PSI Irons (KBS C-Taper 105 S) (3-PW)
    Taylormade TP EF Satin Chrome Wedges (KBS Tour Wedge) (52D/56D/60D)
    Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals/Irons)
    Taylormade Spider Tour Black 34" (20G Weights)
    SuperStroke CounterCore Pistol GT 2.0
    Taylormade Supreme Cart Bag
    Clicgear 3.5+ Push Cart
    SkyCaddie TOUCH

Oh wow, I didn't know this one:

This is the same Nicklaus who reasoned back in 1994, in an interview with the Vancouver Province, that there were so few Black golfers because they had “different muscles that react in different ways.” He said that in ’94, not 1954. It’s not clear whether Nicklaus adjusted his eugenics-influenced thinking after Tiger Woods won the Masters just three years later.
    What's in the bag?
    TM M2
    Cobra F6 fairway woods and irons
    PING Sigma G Putter
    Les Grossman: "I'm talking G5. Playa, playa"

Comment

Oh this is a touchy subject....

First off I am in support of equal rights for EVERYONE. Skin color, gender, etc.

This article is interesting. We are talking about the southern US here...change will not come easy as its history on this subject is deep and rather sad.

Its nice to see The Masters and Augusta welcome change as mentioned in the article. Having Nicklaus tee off instead being a problem though? Let's not forget who he is and what he as accomplished in the sport, I think that is the reason , or would like to believe that is the reason why he gets to have that honor, not because of skin color.

Change won't come by condemning those who were brought up in an age and time when discrimination and being straight up racist was considered to be "OK". Let's remember Jack for what he accomplished, not his beliefs of what he said back in 1994...

There are many players competing this year in The Masters who are Black, Asian, etc. The PGA as a whole is more diverse than ever but does have a long way to go in order to shed its predominantly "white" image.

Look forward, not backwards for change IMO.

Comment

What's going on in Georgia is disgraceful.

However.... I'm not sure you can or should ask a golf club to make such a brash political statement. There may be many in the club who are GOP voters who support these things. Do we expect a golf club to have unanimous views, and that they should all align with ours (whatever views those are, and whoever "we" are)?

Jack would seem to have been wrong in his thinking, but he also seems to have befriended Tiger. So that's now in the past, as are most of the other alleged transgressions of ANGC in the article. Being built on the site of a former plantation? Is that a sin?

Still..... what's going on in Georgia is still disgraceful.
        "Confusion" will be my epitaph
        ...Iggy

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post

Care to elaborate? Some of the proposed 'electoral integrity' measures in the Georgia bill are already used in deep blue states like New Jersey, Virginia, and California.

Comment

Originally posted by Giller31 View Post
            Oh wow, I didn't know this one:

This is the same Nicklaus who reasoned back in 1994, in an interview with the Vancouver Province, that there were so few Black golfers because they had “different muscles that react in different ways.” He said that in ’94, not 1954. It’s not clear whether Nicklaus adjusted his eugenics-influenced thinking after Tiger Woods won the Masters just three years later.
            My recollection is that Jack's comments back then weren't quite how they were made out to be. He wasn't talking about genetic makeup, he was talking about the environments of white and black athletes growing up, and something along the lines of white kids come from more money and are sitting on their duffs a lot, whereas black athletes often come from less privileged backgrounds and are playing a lot more basketball, football, etc. and developing muscles for those sports. I'm not sure if that's much better -- it resorts to stereotypes and sounds like a ridiculously unscientific theory that Jack cooked up in his head after having one too many -- but I think people were quick to lump Nicklaus in with the Al Campanis's of the world. It was more of a nurture-not-nature theory.

That said, it was years ago that I came to realize that Jack's probably someone I would admire less and less the more I heard him talk about political views.

Comment

I think Augusta has come a long way and is on the right path. No need to take a political stand such as this .

Maybe Damien Cox is looking to invent some controversy and interest in his column.

Comment

Originally posted by SeanAvery2point0 View Post

Care to elaborate? Some of the proposed 'electoral integrity' measures in the Georgia bill are already used in deep blue states like New Jersey, Virginia, and California.
                Good lord, you really do go hunting, don't you?

Comment

Originally posted by SeanAvery2point0 View Post

"Electoral integrity"???? Hmmmm. Was that a problem recently in any election? Do we need new laws to fight non-existent problems?
                  Georgia will revamp the oversight process allowing the GOP legislature to replace election officials if they feel they are not "performing" or there are "issues". Why do that? Problem?
                  Why does Fulton county usually have the longest wait times in the US to vote? Why were the polling stations reduced by a considerable percentage in mostly urban areas in Georgia? Accidental I'm sure?? Unintended consequence?
                  ​​​​​
                  Georgia has a few more bills coming up for votes including much more restrictive mail-in voting requirements. Some 230+ bills are coming before mostly GOP state houses which will cover voting. An alarming number, you would think the previous election had enormous issues. In fact it had very, very few considering the largest turnout in history under difficult conditions. BTW, I believe NJ has signed into law at least two bills recently making it easier to vote. An expansion of drop boxes and extending early in-person voting.
                  Should it be harder to vote?
                  Why?

Comment

However.... I'm not sure you can or should ask a golf club to make such a brash political statement. There may be many in the club who are GOP voters who support these things. Do we expect a golf club to have unanimous views, and that they should all align with ours (whatever views those are, and whoever "we" are)?

Jack would seem to have been wrong in his thinking, but he also seems to have befriended Tiger. So that's now in the past, as are most of the other alleged transgressions of ANGC in the article. Being built on the site of a former plantation? Is that a sin?

Well said.
                    Call me whatever you want, but I want my sports to be as separate as possible from politics. Do we boycott Atlanta Braves, Falcons & Hawks games too? Who decides what is 'right'? (not condoning what is happening down there, only to point out it is a very slippery slope)

It's also Damien Cox, being Damien.

Comment

I doubt very much ANGC would do anything. Their identity politics do not align and anything they have done to try and feign progression has been minimal and lip service for optics only.
                      "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by Pimento Cheese View Post

Good lord, you really do go hunting, don't you?
                        I comment on topics that interest me, sue me....

The funny part is you’re always close behind with a snide remark. Get over yourself.

Comment

I was more interested in how this takes off vs. the content itself when I posted this...

That said, Nicklaus lost any respect with his white privilege support of Trump, but my specific thoughts are there was a time and a place where some of the behaviours deemed as 'normal' in the south were accepted by many institutions, ANGC being just one...

Like most, they have gone a long way to improve and align with the times, and with what is right - Certainly not perfect and not fast enough of course. The legacy of Clifford Roberts began to fade after his suicide in 1977, cemented on a wonderful spring day 20 years later.

I agree w/another that Damien Cox is looking for relevancy and to stir it up.

Thanks.
                          Taylormade M1 460 Driver 9.5D (Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 TS) (8.75D)
                          Taylormade M1 3 Metal 15.0D (Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 TS) (16.5D)
                          Taylormade PSI Irons (KBS C-Taper 105 S) (3-PW)
                          Taylormade TP EF Satin Chrome Wedges (KBS Tour Wedge) (52D/56D/60D)
                          Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals/Irons)
                          Taylormade Spider Tour Black 34" (20G Weights)
                          SuperStroke CounterCore Pistol GT 2.0
                          Taylormade Supreme Cart Bag
                          Clicgear 3.5+ Push Cart
                          SkyCaddie TOUCH

Comment

Originally posted by tarrantian View Post
                            I was more interested in how this takes off vs. the content itself when I posted this...

That said, Nicklaus lost any respect with his white privilege support of Trump, but my specific thoughts are there was a time and a place where some of the behaviours deemed as 'normal' in the south were accepted by many institutions, ANGC being just one...

Like most, they have gone a long way to improve and align with the times, and with what is right - Certainly not perfect and not fast enough of course. The legacy of Clifford Roberts began to fade after his suicide in 1977, cemented on a wonderful spring day 20 years later.

I agree w/another that Damien Cox is looking for relevancy and to stir it up.

Thanks.
                            We should not judge past actions or statements on current standards... with obvious exceptions to this rule for especially gross behaviour and/or statements.

Comment

things about Augusta and "plantation" need to be clarified . Don't expect BLM to get it right though.

https://www.augusta.com/masters/stor...s-born-nursery
                              things change

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X