No announcement yet.
Collapse

ARE YOU PULLING IT OUT??

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve been leaving it in since the rules change a few years ago and don’t plan on changing that.

Comment

We’ve been pulling out for a couple weeks. I’ve had too many chips and putts lately his the stick dead center and not go in.
      Titleist TS3 w/ Project X Hzrdus Smoke Green 6.5
      TM M4 3wd w/ Fuji Speeder 857 TR X
      Callaway BB Alpha 815 18-20 w/ Motore Speeder 865 X
      Ping iBlades 4-PW w/ DGX100
      Titleist Vokey Satin 54-58 DGS400
      Ping Redwood Anser 35" Black Finish!!!
      Ping Hoofer

Comment

Today the course I played still had the 'pin in' policy (or just hadn't had time to remove the ball lift devices)...

The funny part was I guess the rakes were just a 'suggestion' and sat by the bunkers with footprints all over LOL. I can just imagine the 'new' COVID golfers wondering why the grounds keepers kept leaving rakes behind at each bunker...
        Taylormade M1 460 Driver 9.5D (Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 TS) (8.75D)
        Taylormade M1 3 Metal 15.0D (Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 TS) (16.5D)
        Taylormade PSI Irons (KBS C-Taper 105 S) (3-PW)
        Taylormade TP EF Satin Chrome Wedges (KBS Tour Wedge) (52D/56D/60D)
        Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals/Irons)
        Taylormade Spider Tour Black 34" (20G Weights)
        SuperStroke CounterCore Pistol GT 2.0
        Taylormade Supreme Cart Bag
        Clicgear 3.5+ Push Cart
        SkyCaddie TOUCH

Comment

Originally posted by Pete12345 View Post
          I am pulling it out because over the last year and a half I have had at least 10 putts that hit the pin (weren't going at crazy speeds and ended up out). I have also witnessed this happen to my playing partners many times. I was speaking to my group about this and we were wondering why we never see this happen to pros on tour when they are putting. Is it possible they use different pins? Yes, some of the putts I have witnessed and my own were going at speeds where if the pin was out it would have missed as well, but I can honestly say I've had at least 10 that should have been in.
          Most likely because they have regular pins/flags and not ones with the extra piece of metal/plastic from pin caddies or thicker pins (built in systems).

Comment

Played 9 yesterday at Highland Glen up near Flesherton. It's become our go-to course if we're up north in the summer, as it's a great combination of "decent" course and conditions, fair price, not too penal, and relatively uncrowded - my wife is an eternal new golfer, not very coordinated, but she enjoys getting out as long as she's not holding anyone up.

Anyways, they never changed the pins or cups for covid. Putting as usual. I noticed we seem to have a ridiculous number of lip-outs, and my friend said it's because people aren't pulling the pin to retrieve their ball. Jamming your fingers into the hole to grab the ball starts to wear down the lip of the hole until it's quite curved rather than a crisp 90 degree angle.

Not sure if this was happening in 2019 after the Rules change, but now that things are returning to normal, we should make an effort to pull the pin before grabbing the ball out of the cup.
            "Confusion" will be my epitaph
            ...Iggy

Comment

Pulled it out all day at Mystic yesterday. It was refreshing.

Comment

I was playing pin in before the rule changed..
                TM M2 D-type 9.5 Accra CS1 70
                TM Jetspeed tour 19* Accra CS1 80
                TM M2 tour 4-9 Accra ICWT 95
                Callaway X-Forged 48, 52, 58, 64 Pro Modus3 105
                Nike method MC3i

Osprey Valley Century Club
                100 holes - May 2, 2016

Comment

We've left the flag in since the rule was changed, as well. If we get paired with a golfer who wants to pull the flag, we'll do it, but otherwise we leave it in. I've only seen maybe two or three putts over the past couple of years where the ball banked off the stick where it would have gone in, instead.

The ball lifters, however, are a mixed bag depending on the design. Innerkip, where I play most of the time uses the Mully Cup style (see link), which works very well. You don't have the flag coming up out of the hole and the plastic won't scratch your putter. It's unobtrusive for the most part.

The lifters with the steel hook tend to slide off the putter or jam on the stick when sliding up, so I end up just lifting with my hand, which defeats the purpose. The steel hook also protrudes from the side of the stick by about 1/2" or so. The Landings in Kingston uses these and I did have one putt hit the hook and bounce out this past weekend.

Doon Valley in Kitchener turned the cups upside down about 1/4 - 1/2" below the green surface. I found that method to be the worst as putts would drop into the hole then bounce off the plastic and roll out on the other side. I'd rather see a pool noodle in the bottom of the hole, as it cushions the fall from the ball a bit.

Mully Cup effectively eliminates the golfer-pole contact and the bending to retrieve the ball. It fits both regulation and tournament poles.

Comment

Pin out!! So nice to have an empty hole to aim at and nothing beats the sound of the ball hitting the bottom of the cup. I'm a firm believer that pin in or pin out does not affect POP at all. Player closest to the pin removes it and first player in the hole replaces it...pretty simple and no additional time.

Comment

Originally posted by Kennyham View Post
                      Pin out!! So nice to have an empty hole to aim at and nothing beats the sound of the ball hitting the bottom of the cup. I'm a firm believer that pin in or pin out does not affect POP at all. Player closest to the pin removes it and first player in the hole replaces it...pretty simple and no additional time.
                      pretty bold assumption that the majority of golfers abide with these procedures. I also think it's pretty simple too... but I also think it's pretty simple to rake your bunkers, fix your divots on fairway, and pitch marks on greens... all these things rarely happen on a public course.

Comment

It is unfortunate that etiquette is not the first lesson for new players. Way too many people (and unfortunately way too many who know much better) do not follow basic etiquette or course rules. My fave is cart path only and yet people can’t help themselves and somehow feel the need to put at least two tires on the grass green side and at tees.

Comment

One thing I have noticed which has helped my putting is to aim at the flagstick and not the hole. Going for the smaller target has helped my focus.

Comment

Only if she insists

Comment

I pulled the flag yesterday and the hole looked huge

Comment

Originally posted by 4wedges View Post
                                One thing I have noticed which has helped my putting is to aim at the flagstick and not the hole. Going for the smaller target has helped my focus.
                                This is an excellent point. The hole WITHOUT the pin just looks vast...

So strange considering I didn't give it much thought before.
                                Taylormade M1 460 Driver 9.5D (Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 TS) (8.75D)
                                Taylormade M1 3 Metal 15.0D (Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 TS) (16.5D)
                                Taylormade PSI Irons (KBS C-Taper 105 S) (3-PW)
                                Taylormade TP EF Satin Chrome Wedges (KBS Tour Wedge) (52D/56D/60D)
                                Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals/Irons)
                                Taylormade Spider Tour Black 34" (20G Weights)
                                SuperStroke CounterCore Pistol GT 2.0
                                Taylormade Supreme Cart Bag
                                Clicgear 3.5+ Push Cart
                                SkyCaddie TOUCH

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...