Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

MY GOLFING GOALS FOR 2022 (AND HOW I PERFORMED IN 2021 / 2020)

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MY GOLFING GOALS FOR 2022 (AND HOW I PERFORMED IN 2021 / 2020)

It's that time of year again...

1. 2022 GOALS / 2021 AND 2020 RESULTS:
    • 3 EAGLES IN 2022 – 0 IN 2021 / 2 IN 2020
    • 20 SUB-80 ROUNDS IN 2022 – 12 IN 2021 / 10 IN 2020
    • MY FIRST HOLE-IN-ONE IN 20220 IN 2021 / 0 IN 2020
    2. 2021 KEY METRICS / 2022 GOALS / 2020 ACTUALS:
    • FAIRWAYS HIT – 59% (2022 GOAL = 65% / 69% IN 2020)
    • PUTTING PPH AVG. – 1.7 (2022 GOAL – 1.5 / 1.7 IN 2020)
    • GIR – 44% (2022 GOAL – 55% / 40% IN 2020)
    • AVG. SCORE – 82.0 (2022 GOAL – 80.0 / 84.3 IN 2020)
    • HANDICAP – 10.4 (2022 GOAL – 9.0 / 11.9 IN 2020)
    Overall, I was quite happy w/2021 in consideration of the late start - 100 rounds played vs. the 108 rounds played in 2020. GIR improved, but continues to be my biggest opporunity. Happy to shoot my personal best of 73 this year, and hope to get my first round in the 60's in 2022).

Had at least 5 Eagle opps that I wasn't able to convert sadly, and although my 'Fairways Hit' went down 10 percent, I was longer off the tee and anywhere around 60% when my average distance is around 250 yards is good enough for me at 58 years old. Decent progress re: my index, and hope to cross to single digits next year - Came close a few times re: my first hole in one but that continues to be elusive (Fingers crossed in '22!)...

Before COVID, my year usually get's a lovely start in the Mayan Riviera in mid-January, fingers crossed we're able to take our trip (All of us are triple vaxxed, we've done our part and I vowed when Ford's monkey Rod Phillips went to St. Lucia and the rest of us dummies were 'banned' I would never let that happen again).

Anyone else wanting to share their performance over the year, there are usually a few of us 'Nuts' who track everything!!

Happy New Year Friends!

- Ian
    Taylormade M1 460 Driver 9.5D (Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 TS) (8.75D)
    Taylormade M1 3 Metal 15.0D (Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 TS) (16.5D)
    Taylormade PSI Irons (KBS C-Taper 105 S) (3-PW)
    Taylormade TP EF Satin Chrome Wedges (KBS Tour Wedge) (52D/56D/60D)
    Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals/Irons)
    Taylormade Spider Tour Black 34" (20G Weights)
    SuperStroke CounterCore Pistol GT 2.0
    Taylormade Supreme Cart Bag
    Clicgear 3.5+ Push Cart
    SkyCaddie TOUCH

A couple of comments about your stats above.

I've never been a fan of FIR, as it is generally too precise for the average golfer and statistically does not correlate well to lower scoring. So long as you have an open look to your next shot (i.e. fairway/green), that's 'good enough', and that's generally what I track - good enough tee shots. Off the tee you really just want to see how many times you put yourself behind trees (i.e. obstructed shots) or OB. Those are the ones that are impact scoring in negative way.

PPH is also not a very good indicator of putting since it does not take into account the starting distance of the putt. Miss a lot of greens and you putts may go down, since your often starting closer to the hole after a chip. Strokes gained putting takes into account starting distance and is the best measure of putting IMO.

My stats have remarkeably stayed almost the same from 2020 to 2021 as per below. SG putting was 0.78 in 2021 and 0.74 in 2020, so again kinda flat. Continue to work on short game as this is my biggest area of opportunity, but have admittedly just played golf and not really practiced much.

2021 2020

Proud member of the Prune Juice Army.

Comment

I am moving to Winchester this year ,my goal is as always to try and birdie every hole

Comment

My goals as always were to have fun socializing with friends on the course, meet new people, golf regularly and improve.

It was a fantastic season in all regards.

Comment

I look at the basic stats after each round but don't track them for the season. I know that the main cause of my bad play in 2021 was my driving; I hit far too may into the fescue, water/OB and had far too may penalty strokes (often 5 - 7 /round). This trend resulted in me losing interest and not playing as much. I made a change in mid August when I got fitted and changed the shaft in my driver to a regular (first time since I was a kid that I didn't have stiff), and I showed improvement.
          My main goal in 2022 is to play more (just 15 full rounds in 2021, plus many 9 holers) and to keep the ball in play. If I do that, my scores will come way down and my enjoyment will go up. Also , I have new irons based on my fitting, so they should help too.

Comment

I had three goals last year.

1. Not to spend much on new gear. Only bought a used Cobra King Ltd. Black 5-wood and traded one putter even for another. My son Chris supplied the three Accra shafts so that the driver, 3-wood and 5-wood matched the shaft in TM Sim Max 7-wood.

2. To win either the A Flight or B Flight CC. I won the B and actually would have won the A with the same gross scores.

3. To qualify for my home course's (Chedoke Beddoe) Ryder Cup matches against King's Forest and then, not to lose a match. I won the first and tied the second.

All in all. a decent year.

For 2022:

1. Recover some distance through better diet and disciplined stretching. I lost 6 lbs so far over the last two weeks.

2. Improve my full wedge shots re: distance control and dispersion.

3. To thoroughly Mystic. my new home course.
            TXG Custom King Cobra F9 9.5* , Accra FX 140 2.0 M2
            TXG Custom King Cobra F9 14.5*,Accra FX 140 2.0 M3
            TXG Custom Cobra King Ltd. 5-wood 17.5*, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2
            TXG Custom T. Made SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2
            TXG Custom Mizuno CLK 23*, Tensei Red CK 60 R
            TXG Custom Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal 6-pw, 1* up, Recoil E460 R + 1/2"
            TXG Custom Mizuno T20, 50/07, 56/10, 60/07, Nippon 950H Neo
            TXG Custom PXG Brandon, 34.5"

Comment

Originally posted by rgk5 View Post
              I had three goals last year.

1. Not to spend much on new gear. Only bought a used Cobra King Ltd. Black 5-wood and traded one putter even for another. My son Chris supplied the three Accra shafts so that the driver, 3-wood and 5-wood matched the shaft in TM Sim Max 7-wood.

2. To win either the A Flight or B Flight CC. I won the B and actually would have won the A with the same gross scores.

3. To qualify for my home course's (Chedoke Beddoe) Ryder Cup matches against King's Forest and then, not to lose a match. I won the first and tied the second.

All in all. a decent year.

For 2022:

1. Recover some distance through better diet and disciplined stretching. I lost 6 lbs so far over the last two weeks.

2. Improve my full wedge shots re: distance control and dispersion.

3. To thoroughly Mystic. my new home course.
              Excellent objectives - Getting golf fit and having the discipline to work on your body during the 'off season' should be most of our goals I suppose!!
              Clicgear 3.5+ Push Cart
              SkyCaddie TOUCH

Comment

2021 was regression from 2020, my best year ever. Improved after I ditched the driver. Goals for 2022 are to improve from 100 and in, return to the driver, and clean up between the ears. I get dumb at the first tee.

​​​​​​
                ​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by nomullies View Post
                  2021 was regression from 2020, my best year ever. Improved after I ditched the driver. Goals for 2022 are to improve from 100 and in, return to the driver, and clean up between the ears. I get dumb at the first tee.

​​​​​​
                  ​​​​
                  That made me laugh, but it's so true.

Comment

After playing no more than 10-15 rounds per year for the past 10 years, I joined CL in Sep and played more in 2 months that I did for the prior few years. I played 16 rounds from Jun-Aug and then played over 35 rounds from Sep-Nov. As a result of playing so much more, yet working on some swing changes at the same time, my index dropped from 17 to 14.

To say that joining so late in the year and playing well has re-ignited the golf fire in me is an understatement. It's like a raging fire, and the golf ho in me has been reborn. See my all-new bag below. Not to mention my new electric cart, new shoes, etc. It's bad...really bad...

My goals for next year are to break 80 and get my index into the single digits. Lofty goals, but I think they're doable, especially if I work on my short game and putting.
                    Ping G425 Max 9*, Accra TZ6 55 M3
                    TM Sim 2 Ti 13.5*, Accra TZ6 65 M3
                    TM Sim 2 Max 18*, Accra TZ6 65 M3
                    Ping G425 3h, Tensei Orange R
                    TM P790 5-GW, Modus 105 R
                    Cleveland CBX 56*, wedge flex
                    Odyssey Black #2
                    Current hcp ~ 14

Comment

Originally posted by SW20 MR2 View Post
                      After playing no more than 10-15 rounds per year for the past 10 years, I joined CL in Sep and played more in 2 months that I did for the prior few years. I played 16 rounds from Jun-Aug and then played over 35 rounds from Sep-Nov. As a result of playing so much more, yet working on some swing changes at the same time, my index dropped from 17 to 14.

To say that joining so late in the year and playing well has re-ignited the golf fire in me is an understatement. It's like a raging fire, and the golf ho in me has been reborn. See my all-new bag below. Not to mention my new electric cart, new shoes, etc. It's bad...really bad...

My goals for next year are to break 80 and get my index into the single digits. Lofty goals, but I think they're doable, especially if I work on my short game and putting.
                      Nice to see someone get back into the game (addiction?) with a passion. Enjoy!

Comment

After the MOST Wonderful 2021, hoping to:

1) Get more consistent in striking the ball
                        2) Continue refining my "Super Senior-NON-HURTING" swing
                        3) Hopefully get 200+ yards
                        4) Keep more stats (none so far) using the Golfpad
                        5) Play with more TGNers at Braeben
                        6) Not there yet, LOL, but start challenging my age.

All best to you all, happy New Year and cheers !!!
                        "The secret of happiness, you see, is not found in seeking more, but in developing the capacity to enjoy less" — Socrates

Comment

In 2021, I dropped my handicap from 16.7 to 14.0, with a stint at 13.5, plus I broke 80 for the first time. My main improvements were driving distance and ball striking consistency with my irons. My short game continues to be inconsistent.

This season, I'd like to further reduce my handicap to 10.5. I've been working on continuing my fitness improvements from last year through bodyweight strength training, core work, and stretching. Also, much of my practice time will be spent with my putting matt and PuttOut trainer to keep my putting sharp over the winter, and I plan on taking some short game lessons in the spring to give me some guidance on improvements with chipping and pitching.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBaconator View Post
                            In 2021, I dropped my handicap from 16.7 to 14.0, with a stint at 13.5, plus I broke 80 for the first time. My main improvements were driving distance and ball striking consistency with my irons. My short game continues to be inconsistent.

This season, I'd like to further reduce my handicap to 10.5. I've been working on continuing my fitness improvements from last year through bodyweight strength training, core work, and stretching. Also, much of my practice time will be spent with my putting matt and PuttOut trainer to keep my putting sharp over the winter, and I plan on taking some short game lessons in the spring to give me some guidance on improvements with chipping and pitching.
                            Awesome, dropping your index by more than 2 points is excellent Bacon…
                            Clicgear 3.5+ Push Cart
                            SkyCaddie TOUCH

Comment

Originally posted by veryold View Post
                              After the MOST Wonderful 2021, hoping to:

1) Get more consistent in striking the ball
                              2) Continue refining my "Super Senior-NON-HURTING" swing
                              3) Hopefully get 200+ yards
                              4) Keep more stats (none so far) using the Golfpad
                              5) Play with more TGNers at Braeben
                              6) Not there yet, LOL, but start challenging my age.

All best to you all, happy New Year and cheers !!!
                              I suspect you will reach most, if not all, of those goals.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X