/**/

Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

MY GOLFING GOALS FOR 2022 (AND HOW I PERFORMED IN 2021 / 2020)

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ZRoss81, based on my handicap calculation over the years, i can't say that it has improved my game significantly. Then again, a few points off off a handicap score over the last few years for a retired weekend golfer is still an accomplishment. I also have a better appreciation of where I can improve my game but i recognize my limitations.

I first started just keeping track of where I've played, the course rating, length, score (about 15 years ago). I've since added a new spreadsheet for each season and they have evolved to calculate handicap and start to capture other information....just to see where i stand and where i possibly need to work on.

More importantly, i like to keep brief notes on each of my rounds. Some of the notes are about the course (especially if playing first time). My golf buddy and i like to try different courses and so it's nice to keep historical notes about where we've been and what the course was like. Some of my notes include comments like (course very hilly, take cart next time; course doesn't drain well, don't play after heavy storm; shooting gallery; course in poor condition; nice greens; scenic; very slow round, bad food at clubhouse ;don't play here again ; don't park in this area of parking lot due to potential errant tee shots, etc). Nice to refer to in case we ponder about playing a place we've played before many years ago.

I also keep notes of my playing on that day e.g. things i tried that worked (or didn't), things i need to work on, weather comments (which might explain good or bad playing) etc.

I enjoy the constant fine tuning of my game as it evolves over time (and different body parts start to hurt). Keeping stats gives me areas to work on - which is just an excuse to play more golf....a game i love.

Comment

Originally posted by foreright99 View Post

I agree...these guys have got impressive goals. Humbling for a 17 handicap player (new method) - 18 (old method). Not quite sure which of my stats I should work on which would give me the greatest benefit. Any thoughts based on the following best 7 games last year???

Fairways hit - 39%
      GIR - 7.0
      Putts per round - 34.3
      Pars or better 7.1
      Three putts per round - 2.6
      Doubles or worst per round - 2.9

I know i need to work on my erratic driver (using 3W mostly off tee last year).
      I guarantee if you work on your short game/putting you will bring down your handicap. Most strokes are gained/lost around the green.

Driver : TaylorMade R11s 460cc 10.5*
      Wood: Taylormade Rocketballz 3 wood
      Irons : PING G20 4-PW
      Wedges : Cleveland RTX 588 52 & 60
      Putter : Odyssey Metal-X 2-Ball Putter
      Ball : TaylorMade Penta

Comment

Originally posted by ZRoss81 View Post
        Those that track stats, do you find it actually helps you improve?

Its something I just don't bother with and maybe its something I should consider doing in 2022.
        100% it helps! How else would you know what areas of your game to work on?

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys. Appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by 4wedges View Post

Obviously 2021 a very good year for you. Congrats, and good luck on reaching your 2022 goals.
            Thanks bud, hoping 2022 is a better year for all of us.

Comment

Its something I just don't bother with and maybe its something I should consider doing in 2022.
              No question.

You can't manage it if you don't measure it.

If you're serious about the game, it will bring focus to fairways hit, GIR, avg. putts per hole, etc. This has been the key reason I've been able to improve my game...

Takes a bit of work, using a GPS app is indispensable (I use a Skycaddie and the associated portal).

Once again, if you're serious about the game, a must. Period.
              TM Qi10 Ruby Red 460 Driver 9.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S)
              TM Stealth 2 Plus 3 Fairway 15.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S)
              TM Stealth 2 Plus 3 Hybrid 19.5D (Fujikura Vista Pro HB 70S)
              TM Stealth Irons (KBS C-Taper Lite 110S) (4-LW) Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals / Irons)
              TM My TP Soto Silver and Black Putters
              * (Custom / KBS CT Tour) - Golf Pride TM Pistol
              TM My Spider Tour X3 Putter* (Custom / KBS Black PVD) - SuperStroke Zenergy Pistol GT 1.0
              TM Supreme Cart Bag (Black / Red)
              TM TP5 Golf Ball
              Clicgear 4.0 Push Cart
              SkyCaddie SX550 GPS
              Bushnell ProX3 Laser Rangefinder

(*Interchangeable to adhere to 14 club rule)

Comment

I keep track because I like numbers in general. But in answer to your question, I'm not certain. I have a buddy who beats me 95% of the time and never tracks anything and won't go to a range or sim, ever. I suppose it was data that showed me being unable to hit short grass with my driver but did I really need to keep track to indicate that? I dumped my driver late last season and somewhat got back to reasonable scoring. But everything else is more of an indication of my state of play. It's not like I won't try to be better at GIR, FIR, putts, etc. if I did or didn't keep stats.

Good question. Bottom line? Hit good golf shots and good things happen.

Comment

Totally revamp my putting /chipping in the winter
                  I’m finding I much more consistent if I power the putting stroke with the shoulders. Specifically feel the muscles of my upper back and scapular region are moving the stroke
                  and the arms and hands are more for direction control and hold the putter angle Been lifting the putter up my left arm then my right arm as part of preputt routine
                  Short chips are similar. I been lifting and forward shaft lean
                  longer chip shots are now the only time I ground the club and forward press and go

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                  X