2022 GTA AM Tour

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weirfan
    replied
    Just an FYI, spoke to the organizer of GTA AM tour last night.
    ( He extends a courtesy call each year to all who sign up) and there will be additional events added to the schedule.

Leave a comment:

• Weirfan
    replied
    Originally posted by Toughpar3 View Post

It has the look and feel of the old Golf Channel AM Tour. Many years ago I did an event in California but never did I go to a more local event. At the time the local Toronto events didn’t have enough players signing up for what would be my flight so I passed on it. With the golf popularity now and combined with offering weekend events maybe it gets more players signed up?
    Interesting you mention low numbers. I am thinking that this other tour has to be small to hold events on weekends which are typically the highest demand days to play. I know a group of 22 guys who are playing in a boys getaway event on the same day as the Cobble event.

The GTA AM tour fields range from 120 - 160 players so most courses are not going to give up a weekend day and piss off their members. Most events are on Mondays which is historically the slowest day for courses.

there are/have been a couple other small tours around the GTA which have held events on weekends at my course pre-covid ( The Bogey Tour and The Mulligan Tour) . If I recall they had about 30-40 players in the event. I also recall from marshalling these tours....that unlike the GTA AM tour which have several officials and strict enforcing of POP, these other two tours had none and rounds were incredibly slow. Once, Mulligan Tour , I had to make the last group which were the leaders skip the 10th hole par 5 hole because they had fallen so far behind and were holding up the course. IIRC This was their Championship and these were the leaders ....oops!

Leave a comment:

• Toughpar3
    replied
    Originally posted by smc66 View Post

I think they launched the Toronto chapter in 2021? But not sure how many events (if any) they were able to reschedule/run after the DoFo spring 2021 golf shutdown?

You're right - there is very little info available on past season(s)

Amateur Players Tour Toronto, Toronto, Ontario. 241 likes · 3 talking about this. Amateur Players Tour across Toronto. Compete with the best across North America! � �

https://twitter.com/apt_toronto
    It has the look and feel of the old Golf Channel AM Tour. Many years ago I did an event in California but never did I go to a more local event. At the time the local Toronto events didn’t have enough players signing up for what would be my flight so I passed on it. With the golf popularity now and combined with offering weekend events maybe it gets more players signed up?

I know for myself the weekend option is appealing. Cost-value is also a factor but in the past the GTAAM tour has won my buy in because of the private club access. Im waiting to see what the APT offers for schedule and pricing. I’m not in a hurry to sign up on either tour because with the lack of winter practice again this year I’m not sure how my game will be in 2022. Last season my game was pretty bad the first 75% of the season and I played GTAAM Tour events. Had no business playing competition until maybe the last 25 % of the season but by then the tour season was over.

Last edited by Toughpar3; Jan 20, 2022, 08:34 AM.

Leave a comment:

• MattM97
    replied
    I was really looking at joining the GTAAM Tour but those weekday events are really tough for me to make. I saw that Amateur Players Tour has more weekend events which is more appealing to me, I'm waiting on the schedule to be released which should be out next week before deciding if I want to sign up or not.

Leave a comment:

• smc66
    replied
    Originally posted by Weirfan View Post

Has this tour been around long or is this the inaugural season ?

I could not find any information on their schedule and results from last year , just their various US chapters.
    I think they launched the Toronto chapter in 2021? But not sure how many events (if any) they were able to reschedule/run after the DoFo spring 2021 golf shutdown?

You're right - there is very little info available on past season(s)

Amateur Players Tour Toronto, Toronto, Ontario. 241 likes · 3 talking about this. Amateur Players Tour across Toronto. Compete with the best across North America! � �

Leave a comment:

• Weirfan
    replied
    Originally posted by smc66 View Post

I am not sure if you want to pay for TWO memberships ... but I did notice that the "Amateur Players Tour" have added both Friday Harbour and Cobble to their 2022 schedule, although both are in May so weather/conditions likely won't be optimal?

It seems they haven't released their full schedule yet, but have "leaked" a few on Instagram ...
    Cobble Beach, May 15: https://www.instagram.com/p/CYmLk0xrPSS/
    The Nest, May 29: https://www.instagram.com/p/CY1oXf_LleJ/
    Has this tour been around long or is this the inaugural season ?

I could not find any information on their schedule and results from last year , just their various US chapters.

Leave a comment:

• smc66
    replied
    Originally posted by ARL67 View Post
    Thanks Peter

I signed up for Kawartha and Beverly, and am on half dozen+ wait lists.

Last year I did Brantford, Friday Harbour, and Coppinwood and hoping to redo those 3.
    I see that Brantford, Friday Harbour aren’t on the schedule this year. And also no Cobble Beach this year which I was hoping to do as we have a summer place 10min from Cobble.
    I am not sure if you want to pay for TWO memberships ... but I did notice that the "Amateur Players Tour" have added both Friday Harbour and Cobble to their 2022 schedule, although both are in May so weather/conditions likely won't be optimal?

It seems they haven't released their full schedule yet, but have "leaked" a few on Instagram ...
    Cobble Beach, May 15: https://www.instagram.com/p/CYmLk0xrPSS/
    The Nest, May 29: https://www.instagram.com/p/CY1oXf_LleJ/

Leave a comment:

• Weirfan
    replied
    Originally posted by bogey5 View Post

Unless something changed you gotta be quick when they send out notice of an opening to everybody on a waitlist. I was waitlisted on a few in 2020 and never got into one despite logging in immediately upon receiving notice. I never signed up last year so don't know if they changed anything on that front.
    True, i have had zero success getting into open spots....you pretty much need to be instantaneous.

I am told Staying logged in helps as does checking very late at night and early in am

Leave a comment:

• bogey5
    replied
    Did anyone get any advance notice that registration was opening ?
    I'm a bit unhappy that I am late to the party to book events.

I got in just 3 events last year, and tanked on all 3 -> it was eye opening experience to play competitive golf -> my atrocious putting was a huge score-card killer. Crappy putting, along with a general slide in my game overall last season -> mostly due to lack of play and lack of practice like I used to do for many years. But I loved those outings nonetheless !

I signed up again and am on many waitlists.
    Unless something changed you gotta be quick when they send out notice of an opening to everybody on a waitlist. I was waitlisted on a few in 2020 and never got into one despite logging in immediately upon receiving notice. I never signed up last year so don't know if they changed anything on that front.

Leave a comment:

• smc66
    replied
    Creating the schedule must be incredibly challenging for Mark, given the scarcity of courses willing to host outside events.

I noticed there are 3 duplicate events, to help fill up the schedule ...
    • Kawartha (Jun 7, Sep 6)
    • Ladies Golf Club (Jun 13, Jul 18)
    • Legends on the Niagara (Jun 21, Oct 11/12)

Leave a comment:

• Weirfan
    replied
    Thanks Peter

Last year I did Brantford, Friday Harbour, and Coppinwood and hoping to redo those 3.
    I see that Brantford, Friday Harbour aren’t on the schedule this year. And also no Cobble Beach this year which I was hoping to do as we have a summer place 10min from Cobble.
    Some changes yes. Will likely be some additions to the events . Would be nice to see Friday Harbour back. I am hearing rumours that Lora Bay is in the works around the Legacy date.

I am down for the first Kawartha date and Beverly ( which will be new to me)

Leave a comment:

• ARL67
    replied
    Thanks Peter

Leave a comment:

• Weirfan
    replied

I got in just 3 events last year, and tanked on all 3 -> it was eye opening experience to play competitive golf -> my atrocious putting was a huge score-card killer. Crappy putting, along with a general slide in my game overall last season -> mostly due to lack of play and lack of practice like I used to do for many years. But I loved those outings nonetheless !

They sent out an email to everyone ( ok seems not everyone) on January 5th notifying us that registration was open.

Sucks you didn't get it Andy

before next season lets exchange numbers....(I used to have yours but don't see it in my phone) that way we can notify one another. A few of us already do this in case someone is away or busy or is missed.

what events did you get into ?

Leave a comment:

• ARL67
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ZRoss81
    replied
    Thanks for posting this.

Hoping to take part in a couple events this year.

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
X