Collapse

Proper storage of clubs?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper storage of clubs?

With the golf season coming to and end...mine ended a few weeks ago...I've officially called it a season when I cleaned my clubs, washed my towels and threw out all the candy bar wrappers in my bag two nights ago! hehe...everythings all shiny and clean for next spring...only my putter is in my house for practise...
    Is there a proper way to store your clubs? I heard that leaving your clubs in the garage is bad cause in the winter, the glue or adhesives used on some clubs freeze and crack in the cold. Also, moisture in the garage can also cause rusting. Should they be kept indoors?
    "Bessie Braddock: Sir, you are drunk.
    Churchill: And you, madam, are ugly. But in the morning, I shall be sober."
    Winston Churchill

Originally posted by Focker Singh
    With the golf season coming to and end...mine ended a few weeks ago...I've officially called it a season when I cleaned my clubs, washed my towels and threw out all the candy bar wrappers in my bag two nights ago! hehe...everythings all shiny and clean for next spring...only my putter is in my house for practise...
    Is there a proper way to store your clubs? I heard that leaving your clubs in the garage is bad cause in the winter, the glue or adhesives used on some clubs freeze and crack in the cold. Also, moisture in the garage can also cause rusting. Should they be kept indoors?
    Storage? Aren't you practicing over the winter? That's what golf domes are for!

But yeah, give them a quick washing and yes, store the bag indoors! Cold is not good for anything graphite nor for the epoxy glue bonds between your club head and shaft. Plus, the house is such a better place to store your babies in regards to thefts, etc. Plus, seeing them everyday gets me through the winter. When I'm piling into my car, getting ready to commute hours through slush and snow to work, a brief glance at my golf bag on the way out reminds me that this **** will end some day, and I'll be back out there knocking em stiff...
    WITB:
    Driver: Cleveland Classic 290(Miyazaki)
    3W: Callaway XR Pro 3 Deep 14* (Diamana 70 I'Lima)
    2H: Adams Pro Gold(Matrix Ozik Altus)
    4-PW: Callaway X-Prototype (Aerotech Steelfiber I95)
    56: Callaway X-Forged (Dynamic Gold)
    60: Callaway X-Forged (Rifle Spinner)
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport Mid Slant Pro Platinum

Comment

what would be a safe temperature? right now I have the clubs in the basement (in the cold storage)...from the sounds of it, i might want to move them to a warmer location?

Comment

Originally posted by Mok
        what would be a safe temperature? right now I have the clubs in the basement (in the cold storage)...from the sounds of it, i might want to move them to a warmer location?
        Hey Mok,

I'm not too sure what is considered a safe temperature (e.g., when bonds start to weaken, etc.). It's just a general notion that cold is bad. It gets quite cold in the cold storage area in basements, especially on those minus 20 nights. For me, a golf bag doesn't take up too much room and I like looking at it, so I'll always leave it indoors. Plus, still gotta practice through winter right?
        WITB:

Comment

I have never done it, but I have heard that if you put a little oil on a rag and wipe down the shafts, this will prevent surface rust from happening. Just be careful to not get any on the grips.
          Remember, Smoke Alarms save lives.

Comment

Originally posted by Special_K
            Hey Mok,

I'm not too sure what is considered a safe temperature (e.g., when bonds start to weaken, etc.). It's just a general notion that cold is bad. It gets quite cold in the cold storage area in basements, especially on those minus 20 nights. For me, a golf bag doesn't take up too much room and I like looking at it, so I'll always leave it indoors. Plus, still gotta practice through winter right?
            ok, definitely have to move the clubs out of the cold storage area good thing Focker Singh started this thread, my clubs might have fallen apart by spring!

Comment

good for you! Can you clean mine now?

Originally posted by Special_K
              Storage? Aren't you practicing over the winter? That's what golf domes are for!

But yeah, give them a quick washing and yes, store the bag indoors! Cold is not good for anything graphite nor for the epoxy glue bonds between your club head and shaft. Plus, the house is such a better place to store your babies in regards to thefts, etc. Plus, seeing them everyday gets me through the winter. When I'm piling into my car, getting ready to commute hours through slush and snow to work, a brief glance at my golf bag on the way out reminds me that this **** will end some day, and I'll be back out there knocking em stiff...
              I keep them in my trunk coz you never know when you might hop over to the dome to practice. But now it sounds like I shouldn't do that!... But my clubs are all steel shaft, think it matters?

Comment

Originally posted by Ems
                good for you! Can you clean mine now?

I keep them in my trunk coz you never know when you might hop over to the dome to practice. But now it sounds like I shouldn't do that!... But my clubs are all steel shaft, think it matters?
                I wouldn't keep em in the trunk just for safety reasons! I don't know. I used to leave them in the trunk during the summer because I practiced/played so often. It is a pain to keep transferring them indoors then back in your car, etc. I thought about it though. If someone stole them it would be game over. I would have to pay a $500 deductible! Plus, it would be a pain trying to find all the equipment with the right shafts, components again. With that in mind, I just stopped being lazy and decided to bring em indoors everytime, especially in the winter due to the cold.

Hope that helps Ems!

Like I said before. I have no idea at what temperature the bonds of the epoxy or graphite start to be affected. I've just been told "cold is bad" so I decided not to take chances. It really could be, like many things, a myth though.

Kev
                WITB:

Comment

Ems, steal or graphite shafts don't make a difference. Either way, the freezing temperature will effect the glues and epoxies used on your clubs. Better keep them in a warmer spot than your trunk through the winter months.
                  "Bessie Braddock: Sir, you are drunk.
                  Churchill: And you, madam, are ugly. But in the morning, I shall be sober."
                  Winston Churchill

Comment

Ems, steal or graphite shafts don't make a difference. Either way, the freezing temperature will effect the glues and epoxies used on your clubs. Better keep them in a warmer spot than your trunk through the winter months.
                    How much room do you have in your garage?

Comment

Re: Proper storage of clubs?

My clubs are are between me and my wife in our bed j/k

Depending on how cold your basement is, I think they would be fine down there, just not in the cold cellar. My basement is unfinished, but the temp doesn't get below 5c and my vents are sealed. Do you have any spare closet space? Maybe under your bed?
                      Ping G410 Plus 9*/Accra TZ5
                      Ping 2014 Rapture 13*/Accra TZ6
                      Ping G410 17.5*/Accra TZ X275
                      Srixon Z565 3&4, Z765 5-P/Accra iCWT 95
                      Ping Glide Stealth 50SS+54ES/Accra Tour 100i
                      Evnroll ER2B 34”/370g
                      MGI Zip Navigator AT/Sun Mountain Teton

Comment

Originally posted by Swingman
                        My clubs are are between me and my wife in our bed j/k
                        In that position, I'd really be worried about the cold.

I keep mine in the basement all the time, summer or winter. It does make those last minute rounds a bit tougher though.
                        When I play golf, I always hit the ball really good, but then it always goes someplace really bad.

Comment

Living Room

Comment

I have always stored my clubs in the basement during the winter. Never had anything go wrong in 24 years.

Mine are all sitting right here beside my desk in a 70 F room.
                            One set is in the bag, the other is in a rack I made, the other set is sitting up beside my desk.

This way I can sit here and drool all winter

Comment

Swingman

Good one. LOL. Hope they are warm.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays