Collapse

I just don't understand people sometimes

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just don't understand people sometimes

I was working the first tee on the Challenge course at Rolling Hills last night. There were at least 8 groups who made a tee time for after 6pm who's first comment to me was "I hope the course is moving well so I can get in 18 holes tonight". I felt like saying "why don't you make an earlier tee time?" but I didn't. I can understand using the twilight rate on GN of $20-22.50. I'll go out on a limb and say it's probably the least expensive tee time in the GTA at that time, I haven't checked that out though. But if your expectation is to play 18 holes, why not spend a few extra bucks and get an earlier time? Even though it's summertime and it doesn't get really dark until close to 9pm, how can you realistically expect to play a 4 hour round before dark when you're getting to the course at 6:30PM?
    I'll wait......
    U. S. Air Force, Retired

Originally posted by goshawk View Post
    I was working the first tee on the Challenge course at Rolling Hills last night. There were at least 8 groups who made a tee time for after 6pm who's first comment to me was "I hope the course is moving well so I can get in 18 holes tonight". I felt like saying "why don't you make an earlier tee time?" but I didn't. I can understand using the twilight rate on GN of $20-22.50. I'll go out on a limb and say it's probably the least expensive tee time in the GTA at that time, I haven't checked that out though. But if your expectation is to play 18 holes, why not spend a few extra bucks and get an earlier time? Even though it's summertime and it doesn't get really dark until close to 9pm, how can you realistically expect to play a 4 hour round before dark when you're getting to the course at 6:30PM?
    I'll wait......
    He just said he hoped it was moving well but understood he might not get 18 in. And perhaps he had to work until 5 so that was the earliest time he could get out. Sometimes you take what you get.

We played in 3 hours recently with no one in front of us (3 guys in carts) and starting @ 6 that might be doable right now.
    MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Lionel , we see these types as well. Then they come in looking for a credit because they didn't get all the holes completed.
      As a result we block the tee sheet now 2 hours before dark.

pre covid I could go out in a cart and play 18 after dinner in 2.5 hours often playing the front 9 twice. Now we are typically booked solid ( today until 6:30) and its usually beginners and families ( which i think is great ) so not fast and can be 2+ hours for 9.
      "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffc View Post

He just said he hoped it was moving well but understood he might not get 18 in. And perhaps he had to work until 5 so that was the earliest time he could get out. Sometimes you take what you get.

We played in 3 hours recently with no one in front of us (3 guys in carts) and starting @ 6 that might be doable right now.
        I can understand, and emphathize, with the person who just got off work and that's the only time they get to play is late in the evening. But several of these folks don't work (retired) and can play at any time of the day but are concerned about getting in 18 holes in a couple of hours before dark. One guy even admitted that he just got back from shopping. So obviously (for him) 18 holes was down on the priority list.
        U. S. Air Force, Retired

Comment

I can understand, and emphathize, with the person who just got off work and that's the only time they get to play is late in the evening. But several of these folks don't work (retired) and can play at any time of the day but are concerned about getting in 18 holes in a couple of hours before dark. One guy even admitted that he just got back from shopping. So obviously (for him) 18 holes was down on the priority list.
          Sure there are some people like that, but based on your post it didn't seem like that was the case this time.

As for his availability, maybe he had to take his wife shopping or was shopping for a last minute birthday present, who knows and 6 was when he was able to make it and hoping to get 18 in, not expecting it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffc View Post

Sure there are some people like that, but based on your post it didn't seem like that was the case this time.

As for his availability, maybe he had to take his wife shopping or was shopping for a last minute birthday present, who knows and 6 was when he was able to make it and hoping to get 18 in, not expecting it.
            I beg to differ Jeff. He was totally expecting to finish 18 before dark starting at 6:15pm. Maybe in Anchorage or Yellowknife, but not this far south!
            U. S. Air Force, Retired

Comment

Twlilight out here is one of the busiest times and difficult to get tee times too.
              The 5 muni's here are so busy...even sunset is booked too....many muni's booked until 730pm.

Comment

I beg to differ Jeff. He was totally expecting to finish 18 before dark starting at 6:15pm. Maybe in Anchorage or Yellowknife, but not this far south!
                ok, I wasn't there, just reading your post saying he was hoping, not expecting to get it in.
                Last edited by Jeffc; Jul 28, 2022, 11:33 AM.

Comment

down here most days i can finish 18 starting at 6 (playing alone walking) course is usually very quiet.

Monday we started at 4 and played 27( 3 walkers one in a cart)

Comment

How about at the first tee I hear golfers ask the starter if there is anyone behind them ? And its like during the day AND also during the covid peak in the past 2 years when golf is the ONLY activity allowed...

Comment

Originally posted by wongmb View Post
                      How about at the first tee I hear golfers ask the starter if there is anyone behind them ? And its like during the day AND also during the covid peak in the past 2 years when golf is the ONLY activity allowed...
                      Also a pretty common thing especially with new/novice golfers who I guess are aware of their ability ( lack thereof) and don't want to hold up anyone. I play after dinner once or twice a week and not uncommon for a group to want to go off last for this reason.

During the day, all the starter needs to say is don't worry about who/whats behind you, focus on the group ahead and stay in position
                      "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post

During the day, all the starter needs to say is don't worry about who/whats behind you, focus on the group ahead and stay in position
                        more people need to focus on this rather than the clock (" i'm playing at a 4 hour pace so i'm fine even though i'm 2 holes behind the group in front of me...")

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post

Also a pretty common thing especially with new/novice golfers who I guess are aware of their ability ( lack thereof) and don't want to hold up anyone. I play after dinner once or twice a week and not uncommon for a group to want to go off last for this reason.
                          I almost invariably play at twilight now.

One because I am cheap. Two because currently I am 'pushing it' trying to play 18. And also because I do not wish to slow anyone down. So if there is a group behind we will sometimes let them go ahead of us, or play through.

Despite the fact that we were traditionally 'fast' golfers. But I walk and that might slow down a group of riders.

We also ask the starter/marshal how if or how many groups are behind us, and what it is like in front.

We do that in order to determine how we might play.
                          For example if there are groups in front and none behind, then we might play multiple balls.
                          if there are none for a few times/holes ahead of us, but some booked after us, then we play faster in order to 'open up' the holes behind us and not slow down those following.

As for getting in 18 during twilight. Prior to COVID, depending upon the course, we used to be able to accomplish that around 50% of the time.

Comment

Twilight at one time started at 3:30 . Years later it moved to 4:30 ,and is even later now.
                            After 5:30 it makes no sense to pay even $30 and wait on shots.
                            I'd rather go to a range and hit a large bucket instead.
                            things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Originally posted by bl8d View Post
                              Twilight at one time started at 3:30 . Years later it moved to 4:30 ,and is even later now.
                              After 5:30 it makes no sense to pay even $30 and wait on shots.
                              I'd rather go to a range and hit a large bucket instead.
                              Twilight starting times varies by course here.
                              I complete 18 holes at twilight about 95% of the time.
                              BUT
                              I play when I know I have a good twilight tee time to finish 18 holes.

If I can't get those earlier twilight tee times...I won't play as I like to complete a full rd.
                              BUT
                              If we do play late...we will pay an even cheaper twilight rate and therefore don't expect to finish 18...maybe 13-14 holes.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X