Collapse

Age appropriate for the course

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Age appropriate for the course

Today, playing a cottage country $100 green fee course, we saw a man and three children playing. The kids were probably 10-11 years old.

The kids were decked out in golf gear, so I suspect they were definitely not playing on a course for the first time.

We watched one chunk a ball 20 yds into a pond (it was a par three). The course did appear to be backed up behind them (others were waiting on tees farther back) but I didn’t see if there was a group directly in front of them.

The man playing with them was taking pics/vid behind them as they teed off.

One thought came into my head — that guy was paying $75 each for the kids to golf (I looked up the junior rate).

Would you pay $75 for your pre-teen to play a course? It kind of surprised me to see it.

And — would you want to see pre-teens on an expensive course? Their tee time had to have been around 10 am.

Thinking about it now — one of those kids must have been driving the other cart too because we didn’t see another adult there (at least from where we were about 40 yds away).
    Last edited by Cdntac; Aug 1, 2022, 06:13 PM.

As long as a kid 10-11 can keep pace....I don't care if they are good or bad.
    I've seen many times...adults who are so lousy and slow they had no business being on a full length course.
    Pro shops don't ask....what is your cap and are you a reasonably skilled golfer.

Seems like the adult is a TOOL and not mindful of others about PoP...I'm not surprised....entitled.

$75 a kid is nothing to an adult who has money...quite a few people have money.

Yes, I can see a liabilty issue with a 10-11 yr old driving a golf cart.

I started to play with my dad and his friends...all single caps when I was 11. Dad knew I was good enough to keep pace, otherwise he would never want to embarrass himself having his son be a bothersome 4th player...dad also taught me well about golf etiquette, so I would be a respectful and knowledgable player in the 4some.

Funny enough....I was at the Cdn Am today...and an uncle said his nephew was provided an exception to play with an adult as a 10 yr old because he was skilled enough...although the minimum age was 12...it helped that his dad is involved in the golf industry and I also believe a Class A CPGA pro.

Back in the 70's I was jr, member at Chedoke....my friend also had a membership too.
    I asked him why he played at Chedoke....his dad was a member at Hamilton G&CC...he told me he had to play with the HP at Hamilton and it was the HP who would authorized if a jr. was skilled enough to play at Hamilton...my friend really didn't love golf so he didn't mind just golfing at Chedoke...his passion is downhill skiing...he flys out to the Kootneays to go heli-skiing often.
    I had other friends as jr members too...but none of them loved golf....I think none of them golf as adults.

Comment

I'd rather play behind a fast 10 year old (I've seen many) than a slow 40 year old.

The issue in your post sounds like the adult, he should know better than to slow play down video taping etc. Lots of adults dunk balls in ponds. If the adult moved them quickly along to a drop zone, no issues, if the hit ball after ball, big issue regardless of age.

Comment

In years gone by I took my two young boys to courses that were suited to beginners like Cardinal Kettle Creek, and at non peak hours.
        Always kept them moving with ready golf or pick up golf, double bogey max.
        As for the cart we always walked and in any event the courses we played required younger cart drivers to have their licence.
        As for skill levels, I will never forget when my then 12 year old first beat me beat me on a par three with his first ever birdie and that in front of a foursome that was letting us play through.
        Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

Originally posted by High cut View Post
          I'd rather play behind a fast 10 year old (I've seen many) than a slow 40 year old.

The issue in your post sounds like the adult, he should know better than to slow play down video taping etc. Lots of adults dunk balls in ponds. If the adult moved them quickly along to a drop zone, no issues, if the hit ball after ball, big issue regardless of age.
          I can’t say if PoP was an issue (maybe the group behind was fast and like I said, maybe there were people ahead of the kid group).

It was more of just a surprise to see young kids in prime time on a holiday Monday on a course that isn’t cheap.

In regards to the pics/vids, I’m always thinking that of anyone. I’m not a “OMG…we just have to get a picture of you here” kind of guy, especially on a golf course if people are waiting behind. Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdntac View Post

I can’t say if PoP was an issue (maybe the group behind was fast and like I said, maybe there were people ahead of the kid group).

It was more of just a surprise to see young kids in prime time on a holiday Monday on a course that isn’t cheap.

In regards to the pics/vids, I’m always thinking that of anyone. I’m not a “OMG…we just have to get a picture of you here” kind of guy, especially on a golf course if people are waiting behind. Lol.
            I hear you, but I see kids that age play prime time on some of the most elite (ranking and cost) private clubs in the country. There are no restrictions on when they can play, but there are very high expectations on dress code, etiquette and especially pace of play (4.5 a hard no go). To me, if they meet those standards there is no reason they shouldn't be out there (in fact it's very cool that they are). If they don't meet those standards (whatever they are for that course) they shouldn't be regardless of age, gender or race.

Just my two cents.

Comment

No problem here. Anything we can encourage young people to get into the game I'm all for it.

I remember a while back there was a big push on the tee it forward campaign?? I would see tee it forward decks on a bunch of courses. Whatever happened to that? It was supposed to encourage new golfers to play at a length that would be more enjoyable and this included newer younger golfers as well.

However specific to your post I think the dad should concentrate on teaching his kids the nuances of the game (such as POP) instead of taking pics for social media because you know that going on up on his gram or facebook page

Comment

Taking 3 kids out for that amount is a matter of personal choice and personal wealth.

Back in the day, cottage country courses were often pretty cheap. But with the price of cottages these days..... $75 is a drop in the bucket.

We don't know if they were holding up the course so no comment there.

Taking pics? It's always nice to have some memories. If they took a lot and held up play that's one thing, but they may have just taken some on this hole. Maybe they're on vacation here. I've done the same thing at special courses or on vacation.
                "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                ...Iggy

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post
                  Taking 3 kids out for that amount is a matter of personal choice and personal wealth.

Back in the day, cottage country courses were often pretty cheap. But with the price of cottages these days..... $75 is a drop in the bucket.
                  That’s the part that I guess gets me.

There are lots of kids on the course I regularly play and it’s good to see them enjoying it and learning. But I just couldn’t fathom spending $75 (junior rate) on a kid to play one of the better Muskoka courses. Just too pragmatic I suppose. Lol.

Comment

As someone who golf with their 7 year old daughter on a regular basis I can only encourage this BUT there are some rules to follow.

I am lucky enough to be part of a private club which helps with access to the tee, I only take her out on course in the evenings when the tee sheet is closed but we still have to be aware of pace and groups behind us ( lots of people try and sneak in 9 holes at this time).

She will hit her tee shot at the 150 yard marker, I let her have a couple tries at each shot then she picks up and putts.

Most days she is more into collecting the turkey feathers or filling divots and fixing ball marks. Just being out there having fun doing whatever, as long as we keep pace and I do remind her of following etiquette so that its something she knows as she gets older and plays with others.

All in all there is nothing better than being out there with my kid, its sometimes the golf I look forward too the most but keeping pace is important, making sure the respect the course is another ( running on greens for example), and bringing them out at a respectable time is another.

Grow the game as some would like to say as of late.....

Comment

I was fortunate enough to start golfing at a young age, the one rule at that time was to stay with the group in front of you. We should be encouraging young golfers every chance we get, though booking a group with three kids so early on a Holiday Monday doesn't seem like a great idea. Our course had a rule for the earliest time a junior member could play on weekends, around 1:00 pm if I recall. As to how they play, who cares so long as they maintain a pace of play?

Comment

I'm not sure if CL has a policy concerning juvenile golfers only after certain times, but I've seen kids on the course at all times. Not one of them has been the cause of slow play. CL also does have a policy that kids need to have a drivers license to be able to drive carts. Heck, we've got one course where you'll have to drive across Warden Ave to get to the first tee on the Challenge course. I certainly wouldn't want to be the one responsible for an 11 year old having an argument with a 70kph pick-up truck.
                        I had two kids (9-12yo)playing the Classic course yesterday with their parents. The guys on the tee behind them were making comments that "it's gonna be a long day" After the little girl piped her drive down the middle over 200 yards, they grinned sheepishly. Their own drives weren't nearly as good. I felt like saying "don't judge someone before you can see their ability" but I didn't. They already got the message. I checked up on the group later and they were right behind the group ahead.
                        U. S. Air Force, Retired

Comment

Originally posted by ZRoss81 View Post
                          As someone who golf with their 7 year old daughter on a regular basis I can only encourage this BUT there are some rules to follow.

I am lucky enough to be part of a private club which helps with access to the tee, I only take her out on course in the evenings when the tee sheet is closed but we still have to be aware of pace and groups behind us ( lots of people try and sneak in 9 holes at this time).

She will hit her tee shot at the 150 yard marker, I let her have a couple tries at each shot then she picks up and putts.

Most days she is more into collecting the turkey feathers or filling divots and fixing ball marks. Just being out there having fun doing whatever, as long as we keep pace and I do remind her of following etiquette so that its something she knows as she gets older and plays with others.

All in all there is nothing better than being out there with my kid, its sometimes the golf I look forward too the most but keeping pace is important, making sure the respect the course is another ( running on greens for example), and bringing them out at a respectable time is another.

Grow the game as some would like to say as of late.....
                          That's awesome.

Comment

I played behind a dad and son the other day. Dad would hit two balls on every hole, kid would emulate someone on tv by taking 3 practice swings, then step behind the ball, then hit it roughly 40 yds. On the green the two of them would take a pro look at the putt and finally drop it. There were 2 holes open in front of them but they did not let me through. POP makes all the difference.
                            WITB
                            9.5 Nike Covert
                            15 TM Rocketballz
                            3-P Nike Pro Vr Combo
                            52,56,60 Nike X3X Wedges
                            TM White Smoke

Comment

Originally posted by hoganapexplus View Post
                              I played behind a dad and son the other day. Dad would hit two balls on every hole, kid would emulate someone on tv by taking 3 practice swings, then step behind the ball, then hit it roughly 40 yds. On the green the two of them would take a pro look at the putt and finally drop it. There were 2 holes open in front of them but they did not let me through. POP makes all the difference.
                              Yup, that wasn't an age issue in front of you.... It was a stupid issue.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X