/**/

Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

What happened to etiquette and respect on the course

X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What happened to etiquette and respect on the course

    What the **** had happened over the pandemic. This year I am noticing more and more etiquette and respect has gone out the window down a cliff and sunk to the bottom of the lake. Ball marks and bunkers not raked when rake provided all the dam time. But theres the respect aspect that has me completely frustrated. A few examples:

    my buddy hits his drive into a bunker on hole 1. There is no rake to be found so we assumed the course was still under Covid measures. Buddy hits. Cleans it up the best he can with his foot. And calls it a day (as we all tried to do during Covid) the rest of the day my buddy is having rakes thrown at him every time he’s in a bunker by the 2 sum we got paired with.

    I’m lining up my putt about to putt it and buddy boy walks around his playing partners mark then right in my line with no regard for us. This constantly happened.

    2 sum constantly walking ahead of us all round.( which is fine when there not in the way as we’re in a cart) but these morons constantly walked infront of us down the middle of the green while we’re mid swing with our approach shot.

    and my favourite. A group screaming at the top of there lungs for making a 2 footer for double.

    theese are just some examples of the bs now happening. I could go on forever. Is it just my bad luck being paired up with clowns. Or is everyone experiencing this? I understand our game is growing and we have new players but this is coming from people who have been playing for a while and can shoot high 70s.

  • #2
    If nobody tells them they’re not going to change.

    Did you say anything to them?

    As far as screamers — I’ve noticed that my entire life. Some people are just clueless.

    Comment


    • #3
      It’s not the new players. It’s the seasoned players doing this stupid ****.

      Comment


      • #4
        Decided to go private, as fast as I could after the 3 some I got paired up with at Baxter Creek thought it was ok to piss on the cart path beside the tee boxes and in the fairways.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Stickytoe View Post
          What the **** had happened over the pandemic. This year I am noticing more and more etiquette and respect has gone out the window down a cliff and sunk to the bottom of the lake. Ball marks and bunkers not raked when rake provided all the dam time. But theres the respect aspect that has me completely frustrated. A few examples:

          my buddy hits his drive into a bunker on hole 1. There is no rake to be found so we assumed the course was still under Covid measures. Buddy hits. Cleans it up the best he can with his foot. And calls it a day (as we all tried to do during Covid) the rest of the day my buddy is having rakes thrown at him every time he’s in a bunker by the 2 sum we got paired with.

          I’m lining up my putt about to putt it and buddy boy walks around his playing partners mark then right in my line with no regard for us. This constantly happened.

          2 sum constantly walking ahead of us all round.( which is fine when there not in the way as we’re in a cart) but these morons constantly walked infront of us down the middle of the green while we’re mid swing with our approach shot.

          and my favourite. A group screaming at the top of there lungs for making a 2 footer for double.

          theese are just some examples of the bs now happening. I could go on forever. Is it just my bad luck being paired up with clowns. Or is everyone experiencing this? I understand our game is growing and we have new players but this is coming from people who have been playing for a while and can shoot high 70s.
          Society in general is less polite. As demonstrated by the vitriol in political discourse.

          Our regular course still does not have rakes. So smooth with your clubhead and feet. If my ball lands in someone's footprint/divot in a bunker I just move my ball and smoot things out.

          As for ball marks, there seems to be an entire group who believe that repairing ball marks is something that 'staff are paid to do'. Drives me crazy. When we are paired with anyone we make a point of showing them how/why to fix these marks. And to spend time doing that rather than practicing 'honours' on the green or plumb bobbing, particularly on their 3rd or 4th putt.

          We also make it a practice to place seed/sand on all of our group's divots on par 3 tees. By the last half of the round, they generally understand and reciprocate.

          I do not understand/enjoy music on the course. As previously stated if you play music during a round of golf it 'must' be bagpipe music.

          But then I do not understand the need to drink 'too many' beers during a round. Or for 'young, healthy' people to ride.
          But will not comment to playing partners about either, as long as they do not become obnoxious, live and let live.

          We have been partnered with a number of 'new' golfers this year. And quite enjoy it. Finding it somewhat gratifying to answer their questions, explain the rules/etiquette and to be seen as 'good' golfers.

          Comment


          • #6
            I have found no change in attitude out there, lucky I guess .

            Comment


            • #7
              If it's "seasoned players" as you indicate, then I would say it's an isolated case. Although, I've played with many good, and avid players, even golf fanatics over the years that are clueless on some of the most basic etiquette of the game.

              As mentioned there is also and overall lack of courtesy in society today. Just drive in the GTA and you'll find that out. Sometimes I think that the problem isn't ignorance but rather people that just don't give a $hit about anything but themselves.
              Bridgestone J715 10.5
              Adams Tight Lies Titanium 13.5
              Adams Super LS 17d.
              Mizuno JPX-850 forged 4-PW
              Scratch 8620 53d.
              Callaway X-forged 58d.
              Odyssey White Hot Tour #2
              Srixon Q-star tour

              Comment


              • #8
                You need to speak with them to make them aware of what they are doing wrong. Posting about it on a forum isn't going to help.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by johnny canuck View Post
                  You need to speak with them to make them aware of what they are doing wrong. Posting about it on a forum isn't going to help.
                  Probably get a Go F*** yourself as not many are open to advice these days
                  Ping K15- 10.5 Driver
                  Taylormade R11 15 Deg
                  Titleist 910F- 21 Deg
                  Callaway Razr- 24 Deg
                  Titleist 913H- 27 Deg
                  Callaway Diablo Edge Irons- 7-Gap
                  Taylormade RBZ- 55 Deg Wedge
                  Titleist Vokey- 60 Deg Wedge
                  Ping Scottsdale Putter
                  Sun Mountain Bag
                  Home Course: Pine Knot London

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by elmeroil View Post

                    Probably get a Go F*** yourself as not many are open to advice these days
                    or worse....assaulted.

                    Marshals who have to try and reign in this behaviour are subjected to all sorts of abuse.

                    Like with fast played rounds, if you want people who are knowledgeable of rules, etiquette etc, then join a private club. Public golf since c19 has attracted many different players and most are there to have a fun-filled time with their mates.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Weirfan View Post

                      or worse....assaulted.

                      Marshals who have to try and reign in this behaviour are subjected to all sorts of abuse.

                      Like with fast played rounds, if you want people who are knowledgeable of rules, etiquette etc, then join a private club. Public golf since c19 has attracted many different players and most are there to have a fun-filled time with their mates.
                      Courses need to become proactive about threats and post a zero tolerance notice behind their desk.
                      Escort the offenders in between Train of Shame maintenance wagons

                      When staff, and other players are threatened ,it's no longer about revenue.
                      things change

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Weirfan View Post

                        or worse....assaulted.

                        Marshals who have to try and reign in this behaviour are subjected to all sorts of abuse.

                        Like with fast played rounds, if you want people who are knowledgeable of rules, etiquette etc, then join a private club. Public golf since c19 has attracted many different players and most are there to have a fun-filled time with their mates.
                        Your opening and closing lines seem at odds with one another...
                        "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                        ...Iggy

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post

                          Your opening and closing lines seem at odds with one another...
                          Yes they do, perhaps not a mutually inclusive group and more of the former than latter.
                          I've been told to F off and " go F myself' simply for doing the job in a respectful fashion and was approached by 3 guys, one waving his club in a threatening fashion simply for telling them not to drive their carts on the side of a green on a par 3.

                          F&B staff are probably subjected to the most "wrongdoings" , some guys just do not know what is not acceptable to say.

                          bl8d , I think most courses will have a zero tolerance and stand behind their staff. That could take different forms from expulsion, bans , written warnings etc.

                          Forget which course but it was local and the police had to be called to remove a group of rowdy's who wouldn't comply. There is only so much a 60-75 year old marshal can do on their own.

                          Smart Serve protocols to monitor and control alcohol is important. Some folks still sneak in their own and now there is also Mary Jane commonly used.

                          Incidents of abuse happen but is quite infrequent thankfully. Guys having a good time, maybe a bit of whooping it up , commonplace but they cause no harm.

                          then there are the ones who damage the course, driving carts on greens, blowing donuts on wet fairways...had a fellow snap a flagstick in two and burry his putter in the green the other evening

                          probably kids ( I've had to deal with a few incidents) but is happening more now.

                          Last edited by Weirfan; Aug 13, 2022, 11:49 AM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Weirfan View Post

                            Yes they do, perhaps not a mutually inclusive group and more of the former than latter.
                            I've been told to F off and " go F myself' simply for doing the job in a respectful fashion and was approached by 3 guys, one waving his club in a threatening fashion simply for telling them not to drive their carts on the side of a green on a par 3.

                            F&B staff are probably subjected to the most "wrongdoings" , some guys just do not know what is not acceptable to say.

                            bl8d , I think most courses will have a zero tolerance and stand behind their staff. That could take different forms from expulsion, bans , written warnings etc.

                            Forget which course but it was local and the police had to be called to remove a group of rowdy's who wouldn't comply. There is only so much a 60-75 year old marshal can do on their own.

                            Smart Serve protocols to monitor and control alcohol is important. Some folks still sneak in their own and now there is also Mary Jane commonly used.

                            Incidents of abuse happen but is quite infrequent thankfully. Guys having a good time, maybe a bit of whooping it up , commonplace but they cause no harm.

                            then there are the ones who damage the course, driving carts on greens, blowing donuts on wet fairways...had a fellow snap a flagstick in two and burry his putter in the green the other evening

                            probably kids ( I've had to deal with a few incidents) but is happening more now.
                            Both of my daughters have a number of female friends who work or have worked as 'cart girls'.
                            They have a large number of stories about how they have been treated.

                            In short they agree that a) they have been subject to demeaning, misogynistic and sexist comments and actions multiple times, b) that they almost expect this to occur and c) a great many male golfers are 'creepy'.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I'll keep this short. At my course some years ago. A member approached the group ahead of them, as they were driving carts through bunkers, along with plenty of other bad behavior. The member asked them nicely to clean it up a little and keep moving. They told him to go F@@@ himself of course.

                              The member was a provincial court judge. A lot of pull with the Police, and made a direct call. They nailed them driving out of the parking lot with two drivers impaired.
                              Bridgestone J715 10.5
                              Adams Tight Lies Titanium 13.5
                              Adams Super LS 17d.
                              Mizuno JPX-850 forged 4-PW
                              Scratch 8620 53d.
                              Callaway X-forged 58d.
                              Odyssey White Hot Tour #2
                              Srixon Q-star tour

                              Comment

                              Collapse

                              Latest TGN Reviews


                              Collapse

                              PGA Leaderboard


                              Collapse

                              Today's Birthdays


                              Working...
                              X