Collapse

It's upsetting!!

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's upsetting!!

After spending 3 weeks in central Florida and playing several quality golf courses, it's a bit upsetting to get back here and start looking at either course websites or "discount" sites, i.e. Golfnow, and seeing the huge difference in prices for even mid-level courses that are not even close to the conditions or lay-out of the courses down there. Even accounting for the dollar exchange, it's a bit painful to be searching for a place to play even on a weekday. I have never understood why there's such a difference in pricing. It's just frustrating for someone on a retired person on a fixed income who still wants to enjoy a round of golf.

<rant over>
    U. S. Air Force, Retired

I've played in several places in the US where the pricing is good and others where it's worse ( more expensive) than here. It really depends on the area , when you go and the supply demand characteristics. I have friends in the US who pay $350 for an all you can play , yearly membership and others who pay what we do, depends where they live.

Toronto ( GTA) has the most expensive golf in the country. That should't be a surprise.

I'm heading to Suracuse in August for a few days, golf doesnt seem any less expensive. It is in Phoenix when we go in September, but that is off season.

I've not played in Florida but have been looking at Streamsong as a destination.
    "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

In the last week of April, I played six rounds in Scottsdale.

The least expensive was $260 USD, and the most expensive was $406 USD. The average was approximately $350 USD.

Was it worth it? Not really. The courses were good (not great) and very scenic, but they were just a bunch of similar golf courses.

Will have to re-think the value proposition before I go back.

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post

The least expensive was $260 USD, and the most expensive was $406 USD. The average was approximately $350 USD.

Was it worth it? Not really. The courses were good (not great) and very scenic, but they were just a bunch of similar golf courses.

We switched from Scottsdale to Tucson this year and saved a bundle. Not as many options but still some decent tracks.

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post

There is no value in Scottsdale/Phoenix in the Winter and Spring.

I've been going for 20 years and its whynwe always go the week after Labour Day. This is still considered off season because the temperatures can still be quite warm. Not the 120-130 *F they get in summer but typically 100-108. We play 36/day for 5-8 days. Courses are in fantastic condition that time of year. (They generally start to overseed in the weeks after)

we always play the better courses ( try to mix it up each year ) and it now averages about $70/round . Things have gone up since covid when we used to average $50 or less. A couple courses have gotten greedy....Quintero used to be $70-$80 but they now want $250 and pre covid we used to play both the TPC courses for as low as $120 for both but that is just a dream now so they are off the rota.
          at some tracks Replay rates can be fantastic, we pay anywhere from $20 to $50.

Scottsdale is exclusive and pricey for everything. We typically rent the vrbo there as its central and has the most courses close by but the best values are out in Goodyear. verrado ( 2 courses) and Golf Club of Estrella are hard to pass up as they are all really good courses but less than $50

I've been in February a couple times but we stick to the lower tier courses. The locals I visit and play with refuse to pay the steep green fees and know the good deals. There is a Resident Golf Card they can get which saves them money but even still they aren't going to pay $200 for a course they get to play for 1/2 or less at other times.

Vegas is same although the golf courses nowhere near as good. ( unless you head into NV) I was there in February visiting a friend, we played 5x and the most expensive was $99 USD....@ Chimera but it wasn't worth that. Range of fees was $55/- $99.
          Those were the resident rates as well otherwise I would have paid at least double.
          "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Lol,welcome back, daily rates are crazy expensive, that's why a membership is a must.

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
              I've played in several places in the US where the pricing is good and others where it's worse ( more expensive) than here. It really depends on the area , when you go and the supply demand characteristics. I have friends in the US who pay $350 for an all you can play , yearly membership and others who pay what we do, depends where they live.

Toronto ( GTA) has the most expensive golf in the country. That should't be a surprise.

I'm heading to Suracuse in August for a few days, golf doesnt seem any less expensive. It is in Phoenix when we go in September, but that is off season.

I've not played in Florida but have been looking at Streamsong as a destination.
              I haven't been to Streamsong as it's out of my budget. I've played at several courses in the Tampa and Orlando area that I would compare to most of the high end (platinum and gold level) CL courses in lay-out and conditioning. And the highest that I've paid to play was $70US for 18 holes with a cart, sometimes with a cooler attached full of ice and bottled water. I will admit that there's no elevation challenges down there, but that isn't nearly as important to me as turf condition and challenges (forced carries, high Bermuda rough (if you've never been in it, it's miserable!!), dogleg holes in both directions, etc. It's just a shock to my wallet whenever I get back up here in this area. It almost makes me want to visit the VA hospital in Buffalo just to get in a round with a cart for under $40!!
              U. S. Air Force, Retired

Comment

Scottsdale is a prime destination for winter travellers trying to escape the cold and snow, even moreso than going to Florida now. I even hear a lot of fishermen on the fishing forum heading that way instead of Florida. So maybe that's the reason that the prices are so high. I wonder what the locals in that area do for golf during the winter....drive to Phoenix or somewhere else?
                U. S. Air Force, Retired

Comment

Florida course has 12 months of income to cover capital costs. Toronto course has 6 months of income to cover capital costs. Plus cheaper labour.

Comment

Originally posted by Gridiron View Post
                    Florida course has 12 months of income to cover capital costs. Toronto course has 6 months of income to cover capital costs. Plus cheaper labour.
                    Absolutely. It makes a huge difference to have income all year instead of only 6 or 7 months. The expenses for the property still have to be paid!

U. S. Air Force, Retired

Comment

Come to Ottawa, lots of cheap golf here
                      MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffc View Post
                        Come to Ottawa, lots of cheap golf here
                        I appreciate the invite. I have played in Ottawa, mostly at CL courses being a staff member. But that would be quite a commute just to play a round though!!
                        U. S. Air Force, Retired

Comment

Originally posted by goshawk View Post

I haven't been to Streamsong as it's out of my budget. I've played at several courses in the Tampa and Orlando area that I would compare to most of the high end (platinum and gold level) CL courses in lay-out and conditioning. And the highest that I've paid to play was $70US for 18 holes with a cart, sometimes with a cooler attached full of ice and bottled water. I will admit that there's no elevation challenges down there, but that isn't nearly as important to me as turf condition and challenges (forced carries, high Bermuda rough (if you've never been in it, it's miserable!!), dogleg holes in both directions, etc. It's just a shock to my wallet whenever I get back up here in this area. It almost makes me want to visit the VA hospital in Buffalo just to get in a round with a cart for under $40!!
                          If the cost is a large factor for you, why aren’t you walking your rounds?

Comment

Originally posted by letsfly View Post

If the cost is a large factor for you, why aren’t you walking your rounds?
                            Believe he said he was a senior. Not saying all seniors can't walk a course, would depend on OP's health. Walking 18 isn't an option for everyone.
                            Titleist Tsi2 9* - PXG 0341XF 16* - PXG 0317XF 19/22* - P770/P7MC 5-PW - Zipcore 50/54/58 - LAB Link

Comment

Still miss early season twighlight rounds at Watson Glen. Before the pandemic price reset - it was reasonably priced, not too busy. You could drop a few balls and work things out.
                              a twighlight round there now costs more than a prime wkend round at my course.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X