Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Personal Dilemma....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personal Dilemma....

What would you do?

What if you were playing in the club championship tournament finals and the match was halved at the end of 17 holes. You had the honor and hit your ball a modest two hundred fifty yards to the middle of the fairway, leaving a simple six iron to the pin. Your opponent then hits his ball, lofting it deep into the woods to the right of the fairway.

Being the golfing gentleman that you are, you help your opponent look for his ball. Just before the permitted five minute search period ends, your opponent says: "Go ahead and hit your second shot and if I don't find it in time, I'll concede the match." You hit your ball, landing it on the green, stopping about ten feet from the pin.

About the time your ball comes to rest, you hear your opponent exclaim from deep in the woods: "I found it!". The second sound you hear is a click, the sound of a club striking a ball and the ball comes sailing out of the woods and lands on the green, stopping no more than six inches from the hole.

Now the real "what if" in this story......

What if you had your opponent's ball in your pocket?
    Callaway X Hot Pro 8.5* w/ MCS X flex
    Callaway X2 Hot Pro 14.5* 3 Deep w/ Aldila Tour Green S flex
    Callaway X Hot 18* and 23* w/ PX 6.0
    Callaway Tour Authentic X-Prototype 5-PW w/ PX 5.5
    Callaway Jaws X Series 52/56/60 w/ stock uniflex
    Heavy Putter K3 w/ Superstroke Flatso Mid

Re: Personal Dilemma....

Geoff, since you were the first to do something illegal (or at least unethical) by picking up his ball before the time ran out, I'd congradulate him on a miraculous shot. Had I been in that situation, I would have found out beforehand what ball he was playing and his "mark" and let him know that I found it behind that big tree so he'd have no choice but to play it from there. Either that or make a mental note of where you found it and leave it there so you'd know that he hit from someplace other than where you found that ball.
    U. S. Air Force, Retired

Comment

Now thats funny...because...the answer is another question. What can you do?

You can't call him on it because you picked up his ball...now...if you picked it up after the 5 minutes have passed thats a different story, but thats not what is proposed.

Two wrongs don't make a right, however....there is nothing you can do at this point.....IF you both want to have a legitimate match.

Only other option....call both yourself AND your opponant liars and theives and go have a beer.
      "The more I know about people, the more I like my dog." - Mark Twain

Comment

Reminds me of the Sting....hard to call him a cheater when he cheats better than you.
        I like big putts and I cannot lie
        You other putters can't deny
        That when a putt goes in with an itty bitty pace
        You're gonna fist pump in their face - Sir Putts-A-Lot

It's how well you golf fast!!!!

Comment

Tale of two cheats. What is the dilemna here? Unless you believe in honor among thieves.

Comment

[Goldfinger is cheating at golf, with the help of Oddjob]
            Hawker: If that's his original ball, I'm Arnold Palmer.
            James Bond: 'Tisn't.
            Hawker: How do you know?
            James Bond: I'm standing on it.

James Bond: [discovers Goldfinger cheating at golf] You play a Slazinger 1, don't you?
            Auric Goldfinger: Yes, why?
            James Bond: This is a Slazinger 7.
            [indicating his own golf ball]
            James Bond: Here's my Penfold Hearts. You must have played the wrong ball somewhere on the 18th fairway. We are playing strict rules, so I'm afraid you lose the hole and the match.

Comment

This is pretty funny and what's the dilemma exactly?

In my mind the player with the ball in the pocket should be disqualified under rule 1-2.

Note 1: A player is deemed to have committed a serious breach of Rule 1-2 if the Committee considers that the action taken in breach of this Rule has allowed him or another player to gain a significant advantage or has placed another player, other than his partner, at a significant disadvantage.

The other player should be disqualified under rule 20 I would guess.

Comment

That's an interesting question.

What would I do?

First - from the scenario, it's clear that I will cheat to win. And so does my partner. An interesting aside is that although the match is all square on the 18th, it probably shouldn't be by the RoG.

There is an imbalance here: I know that I cheat and I know that my FC cheats. He, on the other hand, knows he cheats but doesn't know that I have.

Anyway - having established that I will cheat to win, then my next move should certainly consider cheating as well. I just don't see any opportunity at this point. And I certainly wouldn't call out my FC by admitting my cheating. That would just be... wrong!

I think I'd be stuck with saying "Great shot".

And I'd probably sneeze, fart or belch when he goes to putt....
                Last edited by Ignatius Reilly; Feb 15, 2012, 11:49 AM.
                "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                ...Iggy

Comment

Great answers so far, keep them coming.
                  Callaway X Hot Pro 8.5* w/ MCS X flex
                  Callaway X2 Hot Pro 14.5* 3 Deep w/ Aldila Tour Green S flex
                  Callaway X Hot 18* and 23* w/ PX 6.0
                  Callaway Tour Authentic X-Prototype 5-PW w/ PX 5.5
                  Callaway Jaws X Series 52/56/60 w/ stock uniflex
                  Heavy Putter K3 w/ Superstroke Flatso Mid

Comment

first off I wouldn't cheat but assuming that I did I wouldn't leave my opponent alone in the woods because as a cheater I would assume he might cheat too.

If I was foolish enough to leave the woods and thus gave him the opportunity to cheat and then he does and I know it because I have his ball in my pocket I would hustle to the woods as soon as he called out that he found it and I would then "find" the original ball and call him out.

He may claim something like "oh i hit one in here 2 days ago and that must be it" to which I reply that since both balls are his and they are the same brand and model with the same marking then he is unable to actually identify the current ball from the old ball.

Under the rules he would have to abandon the ball and play as if it was lost.

If he insisted that he could identify the current ball I would call him a cheat and claim that I saw him drop the new ball in the woods.

Not only am I a cheat but Im a persistent cheat

Comment

Originally posted by BowmanvilleJim View Post
                      first off I wouldn't cheat but assuming that I did I wouldn't leave my opponent alone in the woods because as a cheater I would assume he might cheat too.

If I was foolish enough to leave the woods and thus gave him the opportunity to cheat and then he does and I know it because I have his ball in my pocket I would hustle to the woods as soon as he called out that he found it and I would then "find" the original ball and call him out.

He may claim something like "oh i hit one in here 2 days ago and that must be it" to which I reply that since both balls are his and they are the same brand and model with the same marking then he is unable to actually identify the current ball from the old ball.

Under the rules he would have to abandon the ball and play as if it was lost.

If he insisted that he could identify the current ball I would call him a cheat and claim that I saw him drop the new ball in the woods.

Not only am I a cheat but Im a persistent cheat
                      dat dere's some naaahce cheetin'
                      What's in the TMX Stand Bag?

10.5 SLDR w Diamana Flowerband X-flex
                      SLDR 15* 3W
                      TM Rescue 17*
                      SLDR 5H
                      TM M2 4-PW
                      CG15 52/60
                      Rossa Monza Corza

Comment

Originally posted by Big Johnny69 View Post
                        What would you do?

What if you were playing in the club championship tournament finals and the match was halved at the end of 17 holes. You had the honor and hit your ball a modest two hundred fifty yards to the middle of the fairway, leaving a simple six iron to the pin. Your opponent then hits his ball, lofting it deep into the woods to the right of the fairway.

Being the golfing gentleman that you are, you help your opponent look for his ball. Just before the permitted five minute search period ends, your opponent says: "Go ahead and hit your second shot and if I don't find it in time, I'll concede the match." You hit your ball, landing it on the green, stopping about ten feet from the pin.

About the time your ball comes to rest, you hear your opponent exclaim from deep in the woods: "I found it!". The second sound you hear is a click, the sound of a club striking a ball and the ball comes sailing out of the woods and lands on the green, stopping no more than six inches from the hole.

Now the real "what if" in this story......

What if you had your opponent's ball in your pocket?
                        In this case two wrongs make a right. Play on!
                        Cobra S2 10.5 - Stock Fuji
                        Cobra Baffler TWS 20 - Aldila NVS
                        Cobra Baffler TWS 23 - Aldila NVS
                        5-PW Mizuno MX23 - DGS300
                        Mizuno MP-R 52.07 - DGS300
                        X-Forged MD 56 - Rifle Spinner 5.5
                        X-Forged MD 60 - Rifle Spinner 5.5
                        Odyssey Black Tour Design #9
                        Titleist ProV1x

Comment

drop the clubs and rochambeau for the title.
                          MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Originally posted by laxgolf View Post
                            In this case two wrongs make a right. Play on!
                            What about the rest of the field?

Comment

Originally posted by Bern View Post
                              What about the rest of the field?
                              If you had your opponents ball in your pocket, and he told you he'd found it? I'd say the rest of the field is SOL because they aren't telling anyone they both cheated.
                              Cobra S2 10.5 - Stock Fuji
                              Cobra Baffler TWS 20 - Aldila NVS
                              Cobra Baffler TWS 23 - Aldila NVS
                              5-PW Mizuno MX23 - DGS300
                              Mizuno MP-R 52.07 - DGS300
                              X-Forged MD 56 - Rifle Spinner 5.5
                              X-Forged MD 60 - Rifle Spinner 5.5
                              Odyssey Black Tour Design #9
                              Titleist ProV1x

Comment

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 169,463   Posts: 1,772,302   Members: 46,351   Active Members: 267
                              Welcome to our newest member, SeaSquared.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                              X