Collapse

America is not for Black People

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• America is not for Black People

This is a great read. Having lived in the USA, the level of segregation that I observed was quite shocking to a Toronto boy. The only minorities to be seen in my all WASP / Jewish neighborhood were the landscapers, nannies and maids.

I also couldn't figure out why they all wanted to live in gated communities, with security guards at the ready, when our suburbia town was safer than most back home in Ontario.

This article touches on what could be the root cause; minorities are the enemy and white Americans are afraid of them. In response the police have become domestic soldiers, whose job is not to necessarily protect the public, but to battle the enemy.

One of the comments to the article summed it up nicely: "David Simon, the creator of The Wire, often talks about how there are really two Americas—one economically viable and mostly white, the other economically hopeless and mostly black".

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/ame...3/+GregHoward1

Re: America is not for Black People

Tiger is black and lives in a gated community.

Comment

For much of the rest of the world Tiger is Asian, not black.

Comment

Originally posted by Papa Chubby View Post
        Tiger is black and lives in a gated community.
        There is always an exception that proves the rule. Oprah is another.

We often speak of diversity in the workplace, but the only group that has been disadvantaged economically in North America has been black people.

A black middle class is starting to emerge and will hopefully lead to the development of role models for young black people. today the role models tend to be athletes, entertainers, and unfortunately in some areas - criminals. However, this is changing and there is some improvement.

The group that i sympathize with the most, that needs the most help in today's society is the young black male. The deck is stacked against them, and despite the overt and covert discrimination many are able to succeed and the number is increasing. Its difficult to get through life when you have all the advantages that society can provide, i can't imagine succeeding when unnecessary obstacles are placed in your way.

Comment

"Its difficult to get through life when you have all the advantages that society can provide, i can't imagine succeeding when unnecessary obstacles are placed in your way."

"Any man that says he never had a chance, never took a chance."

Comment

in coloured sports you're one nationality if you win, and another if you lose.

the richer you are, the whiter you look. It's from the bleach in the paper money.

there's three Americas now hombre.
            things change

Comment

"Its difficult to get through life when you have all the advantages that society can provide, i can't imagine succeeding when unnecessary obstacles are placed in your way."

"Any man that says he never had a chance, never took a chance."
              Are you suggesting Bill Gates would be as successful if he was born in Africa?

Comment

I often wonder how much of this BS has to do with how people are dressed. Would these teenagers have been harassed if they were wearing suits and coming from church? I highly doubt it. I don't condone it in any way, but wonder how much of the police profile has to do with the "thug" image as opposed to the skin colour.

Comment

Originally posted by spazzdla View Post
                  Are you suggesting Bill Gates would be as successful if he was born in Africa?
                  Yes. Gates is an opportunist. He would have simply moved to the States like Arnold Shwartz did.

Comment

Originally posted by Left behind View Post
                    I often wonder how much of this BS has to do with how people are dressed. Would these teenagers have been harassed if they were wearing suits and coming from church? I highly doubt it. I don't condone it in any way, but wonder how much of the police profile has to do with the "thug" image as opposed to the skin colour.
                    Baggy jeans should not equate to a death sentence.

Comment

This could also just be a 'rogue cop' like the one who shot that white kid on the bus in Toronto. Sammy Yatim was his name?

Comment

Originally posted by Secam View Post
                        That's what I'm saying. This incident in St.Louis in hardly rare, but how many incidents have occurred in the financial districts where African Americans in $2000 suits are told to get the F off the sidewalk and shot on site?

Comment

Originally posted by Secam View Post

.. and it's also wrong that dress and attitude is the cause. Black Americans (and Canadians) face bigotry and discrimination no matter how they dress. Advertising your differences with loud or sloppy dress will always ramp up the aggression, as it always has for the youth of every generation, but "dressing white" just means that you're in group B in the racism hit list instead of group A.

Comment

Originally posted by Left behind View Post
                            That's what I'm saying. This incident in St.Louis in hardly rare, but how many incidents have occurred in the financial districts where African Americans in $2000 suits are told to get the F off the sidewalk and shot on site?
                            not well though out comment. shows a fundamental misunderstanding of the dynamic at play.

what do you say the to the common experience of black men who are constantly pulled over because they have nice cars?

have you even been stopped and asked if you finance your car ?

Comment

Yes. Gates is an opportunist. He would have simply moved to the States like Arnold Shwartz did.
                              I doubt that a black Bill Gates would have met Paul Allen at Lakeside Preparatory Academy or Steve Ballmer at Harvard.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X