America is not for Black People

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: America is not for Black People

Originally posted by bl8d View Post
    no group in America is as derided, denigrated, abused and looked down upon by blacks, hispanic and whites alike as those defined as white trash, okie, redneck.
    To date no American President has emerged from the dense hinterlands of the Appalachians.
    Worse yet they don't have a Redneck history month, dedicated college, or library where their younguns can research and discover their roots.
    As far as I know there is just one cookbook showcasing whitetrash cookery, and its still available on Amazon. Order now and get a Daisy Mae Apron.
    Ernest Matthew Mickler's White Trash Cooking (1986) features recipes with names such as Goldie's Yo Yo Pudding, Resurrection Cake, Vickies Stickies, and Tutti's Fruited Porkettes.
    That's an income divide issue though, isn't it? There will always be the poor and the struggle to break the cycle of poverty. This applies to blacks, whites, Hispanics etc.

I'm not sure that you can equate it with racial discrimination, where the colour of your skin places you at an immediate disadvantage, regardless of income bracket. Two different discussions.

Comment

I'd say most white racists are the way they are because they are marginalized by their own peer group and as such, feel the need to attack those outside of their peer group in order to feel better about themselves.

Quebec would be a good example of this.

Comment

As well intentioned as many of these comments are, they lack the perspective of someone that has walked in their shoes

Comment

Originally posted by jimfastcar View Post
          As well intentioned as many of these comments are, they lack the perspective of someone that has walked in their shoes
          You're 100% correct. But conversations like this may change someone's perspective (like mine) and therefore have value. I can't sympathize because I haven't experienced it myself, but I can and do empathize and I think that's a start.
          Last edited by Left behind; Aug 13, 2014, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by laps View Post
            There has never been a black president of the USA who came from humble beginnings.
            Clinton?

Comment

LOL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jimfastcar View Post
                Other option being not to talk about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Secam View Post
                  That's an income divide issue though, isn't it? There will always be the poor and the struggle to break the cycle of poverty. This applies to blacks, whites, Hispanics etc.

I'm not sure that you can equate it with racial discrimination, where the colour of your skin places you at an immediate disadvantage, regardless of income bracket. Two different discussions.

no not at all, because if colour was THE biggest discriminating factor then money should have no influence at all, and we know it has.

Black and poor, is bad. So is White, and poor. Neither get any respect from their own kind who have the means.

I will go so far as to say that those without means are now invisibly black.
                  things change

Comment

What's worse than being black? Being half black, apparently.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014...ghts_case.html
                    First rule of politics: Talk about the problem, spend money on the problem, but never, ever solve the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur Dailey View Post
                      For much of the rest of the world Tiger is Asian, not black.
                      Ya think...............!
                      If St. Andrews is the home of golf, Askernish is it's soul......!

Comment

Originally posted by bk51 View Post
                        What's worse than being black? Being half black, apparently.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014...ghts_case.html
                        Mixed couple we've known for years came to the cottage for the weekend. The temp was in the 90F and he sat on the deck with a beach towel draped over his head and shoulders.Trying not to work up a tan he said. Too late I said. He's Trinidadian
                        If I don't cover myself, I turn too black for work he said. Different times now.
                        things change

Comment

Originally posted by Left behind View Post
                          That's what I'm saying. This incident in St.Louis in hardly rare, but how many incidents have occurred in the financial districts where African Americans in $2000 suits are told to get the F off the sidewalk and shot on site?
                          'Scuse me? This actually happens? Documentation perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Marty Canuck View Post
                            'Scuse me? This actually happens? Documentation perhaps?
                            Documentation of what? It was a hypothetical question.

Comment

Originally posted by Left behind View Post
                              Documentation of what?
                              Of apparently well to do Blacks in expensive suits being shot by Police in financial districts? Didn't you ask how many?

Comment

Originally posted by Marty Canuck View Post
                                Of apparently well to do Blacks in expensive suits being shot by Police in financial districts? Didn't you ask how many?
                                I asked a question earlier in the thread about police profiling, and how much of it had to do with skin colour, as opposed to other factors.

It seemed that "thugs" or those who look the part get hassled all the time BUT how many African Americans in $2000 suits are subjected to the same treatment.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X