No announcement yet.
Collapse

America is not for Black People

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Toronto Police Officer deserves our thanks for unreservedly denouncing the incident in question.

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.
    This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

• Unless you lose a mother,how do you know what it’s like to lose a mother.
      Unless you have had cancer, how do you know what it’s like to have cancer
      Unless you are black,how can you understand what black people go through.

Comment

• I watched the protests in Ferguson...
        I watched the protests in Baltimore...

This time around, I have an incredible feeling of Déjà Vu.

Last edited by WWFS; May 30, 2020, 05:25 PM.
        TorontoGolfNuts.com/TGNFantasy

Comment

• Originally posted by WWFS View Post
          I watched the protests in Ferguson...
          I watched the protests in Baltimore...

This time around, I have an incredible feeling of Déjà Vu.

Don't forget about the Rodney King riots, too.

Comment

• Originally posted by mpare View Post
            This Toronto Police Officer deserves our thanks for unreservedly denouncing the incident in question.

https://www.facebook.com/517123720/p...7587505613721/
            I got to the bottom of that, saw his name and realized I worked with him about 16-17 years ago.

Comment

• This is still good?

Comment

• Originally posted by AdiosAmigo View Post

This is still good?
                1 federal officer dead in Oakland, 2 dead in Minneapolis, 1 dead in Detroit, 7 shot in Louisville, 3 dead in Indianapolos, police officers throat slashed in Jacksonville, police officer shot in Milwaukee... and that's just the first page of Google search results.

Yes, definitely still good.
                Last edited by SeanAvery2point0; May 31, 2020, 08:44 AM.

Comment

• Some are taking 'let them eat cake' literally.

Comment

• I will await further confirmation of how many have died in the protests but to date I have only heard of two people, and neither are police officers (although one was a subcontracted security guard in Oakland). If there were mass executions of police last night then it is not front page on any news feed I am seeing.

However, if I had to pick out two snippets from last night that are illuminating it would be these two

1) The video of police in Minneapolis sweeping sleepy residential streets in force and opening fire with paint guns on people for the sin of sitting on their own front porch. In what world is that going to help anything?

2) The video of the Michigan chief of police who takes off his riot gear along with those in his command and invites those gathered to protest that they should all walk together and have a parade. Which is exactly what they do, police and citizens walking together with no violence of any kind.

It is striking to me how much of the violence is being initiated by the aggressive policing. It appears that some in the police do not understand that everything they do is recorded. Or what would be worse, they fully know the worst of what they do will be broadcast around the world and that is exactly what they want, a show of intimidation that they are immune from retaliation. It is also striking to me how a few individual police chiefs can completely change the story by simply taking the approach that they are part of a community and accepting that responsibility and offering to work with citizens instead of opposing them.

Lastly, am also hearing this narrative of "out of town" protestors is really just people from the suburbs of Minneapolis. Again, until someone provides actual evidence of people travelling from state to state for the express purpose of rioting I am somewhat leery of the truth behind it.

Comment

• A couple of good reads. How to End a Riot which has some history of violent protest.
                      The riots will not end with us shouting at the protestors to go home. It will not end with us chastising them for being violent. It will end when we tell our fellow Americans what they have deserved to hear us say for so long: We are listening. We must do better. And we will do better.

And an example from Kennedy from '63.
                      After an attempt on Martin Luther King Jr.'s life at a Birmingham motel, black residents raged, and the city burned. Kennedy knew he had to act.

​​​​​​​

Comment

• It's too bad Trump has chosen to fan rather than quell the flames. This thing is bad enough without him.

Is this good? Not at all.

Who's to blame? Those on both sides who are fanning the flames, as well as all the agitators who arrive on the scene at nightfall and turn protests into riots. It's like a shift change. I don't think any of them care about George Floyd and what happened to him.
                        "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                        ...Iggy

Comment

• Originally posted by SeanAvery2point0 View Post

1 federal officer dead in Oakland, 2 dead in Minneapolis, 1 dead in Detroit, 7 shot in Louisville, 3 dead in Indianapolos, police officers throat slashed in Jacksonville, police officer shot in Milwaukee... and that's just the first page of Google search results.

Yes, definitely still good.
                          Is this for REAL, if so this is really really BAD

Comment

• Originally posted by pendlebg View Post
                            I will await further confirmation of how many have died in the protests but to date I have only heard of two people, and neither are police officers (although one was a subcontracted security guard in Oakland). If there were mass executions of police last night then it is not front page on any news feed I am seeing.

However, if I had to pick out two snippets from last night that are illuminating it would be these two

1) The video of police in Minneapolis sweeping sleepy residential streets in force and opening fire with paint guns on people for the sin of sitting on their own front porch. In what world is that going to help anything?

2) The video of the Michigan chief of police who takes off his riot gear along with those in his command and invites those gathered to protest that they should all walk together and have a parade. Which is exactly what they do, police and citizens walking together with no violence of any kind.

It is striking to me how much of the violence is being initiated by the aggressive policing. It appears that some in the police do not understand that everything they do is recorded. Or what would be worse, they fully know the worst of what they do will be broadcast around the world and that is exactly what they want, a show of intimidation that they are immune from retaliation. It is also striking to me how a few individual police chiefs can completely change the story by simply taking the approach that they are part of a community and accepting that responsibility and offering to work with citizens instead of opposing them.

Lastly, am also hearing this narrative of "out of town" protestors is really just people from the suburbs of Minneapolis. Again, until someone provides actual evidence of people travelling from state to state for the express purpose of rioting I am somewhat leery of the truth behind it.
                            Which is CORRECT? This or the earlier one that I quoted from seanavery2.0

Comment

• Originally posted by trunckslammer1 View Post

Is this for REAL, if so this is really really BAD

Black federal services officer killed in Oakland:

https://www.sfgate.com/crime/article...t-15305272.php

21 year old man shot in Detroit riot:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/30/us/de...sts/index.html

7 shot in Louisville:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/breonna...otesters-shot/

3 dead after multiple shootings in Indianapolis:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/indianapo...-investigation

​​​​​​
                              Officers throat slashed in clash at Jacksonville protest:
                              https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/...ille-protests/

police officer shot in milwaukee:
                              https://www.tmj4.com/news/local-news...shot-overnight

That doesn't account for the (probably) hundreds of people with injuries or the billions of dollars in damages and jobs that won't be around because the businesses were burned to the ground, many in minority neighbourhoods. I feel for the single mother who now has no job to go to. One that is particularly upsetting is of a (black) Minneapolis firefighter who invested his life savings to open a restaurant/bar that was set fire.
                              Last edited by SeanAvery2point0; May 31, 2020, 09:57 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by trunckslammer1 View Post

Which is CORRECT? This or the earlier one that I quoted from seanavery2.0
                                I should have clarified that the way I read the post was that all those who were killed were police or law enforcement. It certainly is worded to make on assume all those dead are law enforcement. Turns out only a few were. Either way no one should be dying. I will stand by my current view that the primary instigator's of violence are a subset of law enforcement who are only there to bash heads but I am certain there are cases where the violence is instigated by civilians. Clearly some police chiefs have shown how to properly manage protests in their community and others have only shown they know how to respond with force as it is the only tool in their toolkit.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X