America is not for Black People

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arthur Dailey
    replied

Excerpts from an Associated Press article dated October 26, 2021 and published in the Toronto Star.

Growing up in the piney backwoods of northern Louisiana, where yards were dotted with crosses and the occasional Confederate flag, Jacob Brown was raised on hunting, fishing and dreams of becoming a state trooper.

But within weeks of arriving at the Louisiana State Police training academy in Baton Rouge, instructors pegged Brown as trouble. One wrote that he was an arrogant, chronic rule breaker with “toxic” character traits that should disqualify him from ever joining the state’s elite law enforcement agency.

Fortunately for Brown, the state police was known as a place where who you knew often trumped what you did, and where most introductory chats eventually got around to a simple question: Who’s your daddy?

Jacob Brown is the son of Bob Brown, then part of the state police’s top brass who would rise to second in command despite being reprimanded years earlier for calling Black colleagues the n-word and hanging a Confederate flag in his office. And the son would not only become a “legacy hire” but prove his instructors prophetic by becoming one of the most violent troopers in the state, reserving most of his punches, flashlight strikes and kicks for the Black drivers he pulled over along the soybean and cotton fields near where he grew up.

When friends and colleagues would ask Bob Brown how his first-born was getting along as a trooper, he’d respond with a seemingly innocuous boast: He’s knocking heads.”

“If you’re a part of the good ol’ boy system, there’s no wrong you can do,” said Carl Cavalier, a Black state trooper who was once decorated for valor but recently fired in part for criticizing the agency’s handling of brutality cases.

It’s a culture in which 67% of troopers’ uses of force in recent years targeted Black people — double the percentage of the state’s Black population – and in which troopers kept their badges after sending overtly racist emails with such headings as “Proud to be White.”

And it’s a culture in which state police academy instructors faced with a widespread cheating scandal sought to dismiss an entire recent class of cadets -- including the “legacies” of several high-ranking police officials -- yet nearly all were allowed to graduate to jobs on the force.

Leave a comment:

• Benz
    replied
    This department has clear policies regarding trooper's interactions with the media, and they enforce them to the point of termination.

This same department, however, is less clear on enforcing regulations about killing black motorists...

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/15/us/lo...per/index.html

Leave a comment:

• Weirfan
    replied
    What's white on top and black on the bottom ?

US Society .....

Leave a comment:

• mpare
    replied
    Aiming for his shoulder, my a...ss.

Originally posted by Benz View Post
    I don't believe that the average person appreciates the danger to cops when handling a handcuffed suspect, especially when there are multiple cops.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2021/1...ad-mh-orig.cnn

Leave a comment:

• Benz
    replied
    I don't believe that the average person appreciates the danger to cops when handling a handcuffed suspect, especially when there are multiple cops.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2021/1...ad-mh-orig.cnn

Leave a comment:

• pendlebg
    replied
    Does it not seem in highly contentious, racially charged, public displays of civil unrest that when things turn violent it often seems when the truth is finally published it ends up the truth is closer to this story

https://abcnews.go.com/US/man-helped...ry?id=72051536

Leave a comment:

• mpare
    replied
    You’re right. For an appeal to be successful, I would assume that the state of Minnesota law requires that the proceedings below must be marked by reversible error. It’s not sufficient to hope that the appeal court judge or judges might have have reached a different verdict had they been the jurors. That said, here’s one Minnesota attorney’s opinion as to why the second and third degree murder convictions might be overturned. If that happens, then the sentence would likely be reduced as well.

https://www.startribune.com/how-chau...eal/600103983/

Don’t forget, though, that he and others still have federal breach of civil rights charges hanging over their heads.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ights-n1279121

In short, simply being found guilty is insufficient basis for launching an appeal.
    Last edited by mpare; Oct 11, 2021, 06:58 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Benz
    replied
    Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post

Yes, but don't you have to have an argument that the initial trial was flawed on some legal point?

It's not like checking with the first base ump to see if it was a full swing.....

I guess I'd grasp at straws as to the legal flaws and see what happens.

Benz and I are just wondering what that flaw - i.e. legal basis - might be.
    In short, simply being found guilty is insufficient basis for launching an appeal.

Leave a comment:

• WWFS
    replied
    Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post

Yes, but don't you have to have an argument that the initial trial was flawed on some legal point?

It's not like checking with the first base ump to see if it was a full swing.....

From Reuters

Former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin has filed notice that he will appeal his conviction and sentence for the murder of George Floyd, arguing that the judge in his case abused his discretion and made multiple errors during the trial.

In his appeal, Chauvin plans to raise 14 separate issues, including Judge Peter Cahill's decision to deny Chauvin's request to move the trial out of Hennepin County, which includes Minneapolis, because of the intense pretrial publicity.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/der...yd-2021-09-24/

Leave a comment:

• Ignatius Reilly
    replied
    Originally posted by WWFS View Post

Agreed, but if you were in his shoes, wouldn't you be throwing that Hail Mary?

Leave a comment:

• vermin40
    replied

It may be his right, but someone suggested that 'he should'. Given this, I wanted to know what grounds he would have for appeal. Just because he has the right to appeal doesn't mean that he has the basis for one.
    I guess that will become clearer when he launches his appeal.

Leave a comment:

• WWFS
    replied

It may be his right, but someone suggested that 'he should'. Given this, I wanted to know what grounds he would have for appeal. Just because he has the right to appeal doesn't mean that he has the basis for one.
    Agreed, but if you were in his shoes, wouldn't you be throwing that Hail Mary?

Leave a comment:

• Benz
    replied
    Originally posted by vermin40 View Post

It's his right?

Leave a comment:

• vermin40
    replied

Because?...
    It's his right?

Leave a comment:

• Bellyhungry
    replied
    This is why a lot of people think Voter ID laws is just a ruse.

https://twitter.com/chris_notcapn/st...68224106029059

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

There are no members with birthdays today.

Working...
X