Collapse

Kitchen Knives

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kitchen Knives

Hello, I am really getting into cooking and want to purchase a good Kitchen Knife set. Steak Knives are a bonus but I am really looks for a solid combo of 4 which is the Chefs Knife, Paring knife, Santoku Knife and Bread Knife. price around 200-300 for the knives.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Re: Kitchen Knives

I would go to Nella Cutlery on Queen East. You can get excellent knives there at varying prices. Don't get hung up on Henckel, Wusthoff or other brands. I have a chef's knife that I picked up at a flea market for $15 and it stays sharper than any of my Henckels.

Comment

Originally posted by Bern View Post
      I would go to Nella Cutlery on Queen East. You can get excellent knives there at varying prices. Don't get hung up on Henckel, Wusthoff or other brands. I have a chef's knife that I picked up at a flea market for $15 and it stays sharper than any of my Henckels.
      Hah - I was just about to post the opposite!

I've had a number of Henckels - most of them we got as wedding gifts > 30 years ago. I think they're a good "go to" brand that's survived a lot of years.

I would avoid the newer high priced trendy ones. Beyond a certain point, how good can a knife really be?

We have 2 sets of steak knives: Fancy sterling and antler handled ones which rarely get used, and a steel-handled set we use all the time. These are sharp as stink and MUST be put in the dishwasher pointy-end down!

"Confusion" will be my epitaph
      ...Iggy

Comment

Nella, where professional chefs shop.

Comment

Global knives. I love mine!

Comment

Originally posted by thekathrynorchard View Post
            Global knives. I love mine!
            i'm not crazy for henckel. But my sister has wustoff and I like them a lot. The feel/balance and edge is very good.

I've heard good things about global also.

But frankly, even in lower brands, you may find a gem. Maybe overall their products are inferior, but there's always a diamond somewhere.

Comment

Recent thread I saw on RFD might help.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/knife...42-fs-1753505/

Also, not sure why you're looking for a santoku and a chef's knife, as they seem to serve the same purpose. The only 3 knives you really need starting out are a chef, paring and bread. Get a good chef knife and don't spend too much on the other two. You'll probably save money buying the knives individually rather than in a set, which will usually include knives you don't need.

Don't forget to pick up a honing steel as well to keep your knives sharp. No point spending money on a good knife and not keeping it maintained.
              Home
              TaylorMade M2 10.5*
              TaylorMade Rescue 11 TP 21*
              Titleist AP1 712 5-W
              Titleist SM6 58*
              Evnroll ER5 Hatchback

Away
              TaylorMade R9 SuperTri 10.5*
              TaylorMade R9 5 wood
              Ping G25 5-W
              Titleist SM2 52*, 56*, 60*
              Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 360g

Comment

The problem with Henckels is that they've created a million different lines of knives some of which are made in China and are not forged, but stamped metal. I can't even keep track of their models anymore (1-man, 2-man, Henckels International, etc.).

Do some research at these websites. I've bought from all of them and they're great.

http://cookculture.com/collections/knife-types

http://www.internetkitchenstore.com/store/dynamix.asp

http://www.williamsfoodequipment.ca

http://www.paulsfinest.com/

It may be better to stay away from sets and purchase what you need. A lot of places bundle knives you won't use often. I use a paring, 8" chefs knife and a 6" santoku everytime I cook.

Comment

Originally posted by richuwo11 View Post
                  The problem with Henckels is that they've created a million different lines of knives some of which are made in China and are not forged, but stamped metal. I can't even keep track of their models anymore...

It may be better to stay away from sets and purchase what you need. A lot of places bundle knives you won't use often. I use a paring, 8" chefs knife and a 6" santoku everytime I cook.
                  I agree with the Henckels confusion! Too many choices.

Agree wrt number of knives - but you have to add a serrated (e.g. bread) knife to that list.

A few years ago I read an article where a chef recommended getting cheap paring knives and replacing them every year. I started doing that, but now I have 5 because I'm too cheap to throw them out.
                  "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                  ...Iggy

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post
                    Hah - I was just about to post the opposite!

I've had a number of Henckels - most of them we got as wedding gifts > 30 years ago. I think they're a good "go to" brand that's survived a lot of years.

I would avoid the newer high priced trendy ones. Beyond a certain point, how good can a knife really be?

We have 2 sets of steak knives: Fancy sterling and antler handled ones which rarely get used, and a steel-handled set we use all the time. These are sharp as stink and MUST be put in the dishwasher pointy-end down!

My Henckels are over 30 years old too. As has been pointed out the brand has been diminished now, they still have some great lines, they also have utter garbage.

Comment

The harder the blade the harder it is to sharpen the edge.
                      If you don't mind the stain ,a high carbon steel blade is still best.
                      things change

Comment

Nella

http://www.nellacutlery.com/spec/nel...res_knives.pdf

Comment

Went xMas shopping yesterday.

Instead of buying for people, I ended up buying this for myself: Global SAI 7.5" chef knife on sales at Williams Sonoma.

Comment

On the cheaper end I have a Cuisinart chef's knife and paring knife. Both are excellent - some nice heft to them, sharpen easily, and really hold their edge. They get used daily and have lasted for years.
                            We may not be good but at least we'll be slow - PB

TM RBZ Tour 10.5 set to 9 deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 70s
                            Adams IDEA Super Hybrid XTD 17 deg stiff
                            Nike Machspeed 3H 21 deg stiff
                            Wilson FG Tour V4 - 4i-GW - DG Pro S300 - TLT build
                            Cleveland/TM wedges - 53 / 56 / 60 - all one length
                            Cleveland BRZ Classic 1 putter
                            Srixon Star XV
                            Ogio Grom bag

Comment

I heard you should never put good knives in the dishwasher as that can dull them over time.

Also before every use give it a couple of strokes on the sharpener and it should stay sharp.

Also avoid glass cutting boards.
                              G410 Plus 10.5*
                              G25 4W 16.5*
                              G400 7W 20.5*
                              G400 3H & 4H 19* & 22*
                              G400 5 - UW
                              Glide 3.0 54/14 WS, 58/10 SS
                              SeeMore DB4 Nashville (303 milled)
                              Anser TR 1966

Mr. Ping Hooferlite bag

Comment

Collapse