Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Kitchen Knives

X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    I recently had an ad pop up for “The Cooking Guild” and there is a Damascus steel set I’m interested in. Has anyone purchased from them or had any experience with them? I’ve been debating getting a couple nice knives for a while and they seem to be a great deal. Thanks!

    Comment


    • #62
      Knifewear.com. calgary company specializing in japanese steel.

      Comment


      • #63
        Originally posted by LongLefty View Post
        I recently had an ad pop up for “The Cooking Guild” and there is a Damascus steel set I’m interested in. Has anyone purchased from them or had any experience with them? I’ve been debating getting a couple nice knives for a while and they seem to be a great deal. Thanks!
        They don't really say anything about the steel they use. There is one reference to carbon steel, which is not stainless, so requires special treatment to prevent rust. Carbon steel is easier to work with and costs much less than stainless. That is probably why the price is lower.

        That is not to say carbon steel is inferior. A good carbon steel will get razor sharp and keep its edge a long time.

        They are very nice looking knives. FWIW, the Damascus layering is for looks only. Doesn't add anything to the quality of the blade.
        In The Bag

        Golf clubs


        "You're just expected to work and die ...
        and maybe buy some useless s**t you don't need inbetween"

        Comment


        • #64
          Originally posted by AdiosAmigo View Post
          Knifewear.com. calgary company specializing in japanese steel.
          There is also Sharp Knife Shop in Hamilton if you are in that area. There are several shops in TO that also sell Japanese knives, but they tend to carry stuff from known artisans at higher prices.
          In The Bag

          Golf clubs


          "You're just expected to work and die ...
          and maybe buy some useless s**t you don't need inbetween"

          Comment


          • #65
            Originally posted by Fredk View Post

            There is also Sharp Knife Shop in Hamilton if you are in that area. There are several shops in TO that also sell Japanese knives, but they tend to carry stuff from known artisans at higher prices.
            Same as with this guy. He goes to Japan yearly for inventory selection.

            Comment


            • #66
              Originally posted by Fredk View Post

              They don't really say anything about the steel they use. There is one reference to carbon steel, which is not stainless, so requires special treatment to prevent rust. Carbon steel is easier to work with and costs much less than stainless. That is probably why the price is lower.

              That is not to say carbon steel is inferior. A good carbon steel will get razor sharp and keep its edge a long time.

              They are very nice looking knives. FWIW, the Damascus layering is for looks only. Doesn't add anything to the quality of the blade.
              Thanks for the info! I’m very green when it comes to any knowledge of knives but do a lot of cooking so I’d like a couple good knives that stay sharper than the ones I currently use. And of course I want them to look nice as well and really love the Damascus look.

              Comment


              • #67
                No problem. Another thing I noticed is that they do not say where their knives are made. They are hand forged, so not in the USA.

                Given the cache and consistent quality of Japanese steel, I suspect the knives are made in China or Viet Nam, another way to keep prices down.

                That does not mean they are poor quality, but you really don't know.

                Do some reading on the care of carbon steel knives to see if they will work for you. If they do, you could order a single knife to test the quality.

                FYI, they seem to be out of California, so be aware of shipping charges and possible duties. It may still work out to a good deal, but you don't want any surprises.

                If you cook a lot, you will love what a properly sharp knife will do for you.
                In The Bag

                Golf clubs


                "You're just expected to work and die ...
                and maybe buy some useless s**t you don't need inbetween"

                Comment


                • #68
                  While I'm in this thread, time for an update.

                  I'm still really happy with my incredibly sharp knives.

                  I was rather nervous about buying a carbon core knife, because I tend not to clean my knives right away. The Stainless cladding on the petty reduces the exposed carbon steel to a minimum, but still, I worried about forgetting to clean and ending up with a rusty cutting edge.

                  I think because of the way I use the petty, slicing meat and small chopping tasks, I tend to clean it right away. I have left it 15 or 20 minutes a couple of times cutting meat, but that has not caused any issues.

                  One other thing really surprised me. I still like my not so sharp German paring knife. For some tasks, like hulling strawberries, I don't really need a screaming sharp edge and I don't have to worry about how I handle the dull blade. It is, surprisingly, the best tool for the task.
                  In The Bag

                  Golf clubs


                  "You're just expected to work and die ...
                  and maybe buy some useless s**t you don't need inbetween"

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by Fredk View Post
                    No problem. Another thing I noticed is that they do not say where their knives are made. They are hand forged, so not in the USA.

                    Given the cache and consistent quality of Japanese steel, I suspect the knives are made in China or Viet Nam, another way to keep prices down.

                    That does not mean they are poor quality, but you really don't know.

                    Do some reading on the care of carbon steel knives to see if they will work for you. If they do, you could order a single knife to test the quality.

                    FYI, they seem to be out of California, so be aware of shipping charges and possible duties. It may still work out to a good deal, but you don't want any surprises.

                    If you cook a lot, you will love what a properly sharp knife will do for you.
                    Good to know.

                    Materials of the ones I’m interested in are showing they are in fact stainless steel but you’re correct they will definitely not be Japanese or North American made.

                    I’m going to go ahead with them and see how they go. I got a code for an additional 15% off so it worked out to about $200usd ($265cad) for the chef and nakiri knives. Free shipping was included but will take 15-20 days according to their timeframe and hopefully I don’t get dinged too badly with duty charges. I’ll be sure to report back with how the quality is!

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      We have had the Henckels Professional S set (with steak knives) for years and have never been let down.

                      Other than that I am not sure how anyone can argue with the Ginsu






                      ****************
                      In the Bag

                      Driver: Epic Flash Sub Zero - Accra FX-260
                      Fairway Wood: Cobra F8 - Tensei CK Orange
                      Hybrid:Mizuno JPX 900 - Accra FX-200H
                      Irons: Mizuno JPX 900 Tours - KBS C-Taper
                      Wedges: Mizuno S7 Blu-ion - 49*, 53.5*, 59* - DG Spinner
                      Putter:Bobby Grace Smart Fit F18
                      Ball: Bx or Z-Star XV
                      --------
                      Home Course - Clublink

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Recently acquired the following knives...

                        8" Bob Kramer by Zwilling


                        5" Global Classic

                        6" Wusthof Ikon Creme


                        Still looking for a 7" (maybe Gyuto type.) Any recommendation is welcome.

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          I’m parting ways with my Zwilling Henkel pros if anyone is interested - like that ikon creme

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            I read some chef somewhere maybe 25(?) years ago suggesting that you go cheap on paring knives and just toss them when they don't work any more.

                            They've been hard to find lately, but my wife snagged us (and our son) a nice "President's Choice" one. Maybe a 3" blade, it's thin and sharp and sharpens well. Plastic handle, good for the dishwasher.

                            Chrome-vanadium German steel, made in Portugal.

                            A very serviceable tool for..... wait for it...... $2.50!

                            Available in 5 (yes five!) attractive colours.
                            "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                            ...Iggy

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post
                              I read some chef somewhere maybe 25(?) years ago suggesting that you go cheap on paring knives and just toss them when they don't work any more.

                              They've been hard to find lately, but my wife snagged us (and our son) a nice "President's Choice" one. Maybe a 3" blade, it's thin and sharp and sharpens well. Plastic handle, good for the dishwasher.

                              Chrome-vanadium German steel, made in Portugal.

                              A very serviceable tool for..... wait for it...... $2.50!

                              Available in 5 (yes five!) attractive colours.
                              Sounds like they were made for use in a commercial kitchen where they burn through knives and don't care about pretty handles. Henkel makes a line with german steel and uggy yellow plastic handles that is cheaper than their consumer line
                              In The Bag

                              Golf clubs


                              "You're just expected to work and die ...
                              and maybe buy some useless s**t you don't need inbetween"

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                As I’m cooking at home more lately I’ve been loading up on new knives - got a pretty good “Dexter” starter set going

                                Comment

                                Collapse

                                Latest TGN Reviews


                                Collapse

                                PGA Leaderboard


                                Collapse

                                Today's Birthdays


                                Working...
                                X